DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oil filtering question

3K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  stenerson 
#1 ·
Does anyone here run the Amsoil General Use Dual Remote Oil Bypass Unit Product Code BMK23-EA? I'm gonna order one but I need to know what corresponding Bypass Spin-on Thread Adapter to order. I know my engine takes a EaO11 Standard Amsoil EA Engine Oil Filter.

OR

What is the thread size for the Oil Filter? If I knew that, I could find out myself.

#3 ·
Not exactly sure on the thread sizes but I do know starting in 08 Dodge went to metric so what works for an 05 may not work for 08, keep that in mind. (Different part numbers)
02-07 were not metric and I think it's 22X1.5 MM thread for 08. Double check me on that.

#5 ·
My build date was 11/07 on my 08 & it is a 22mm thread. Don't know the pitch though.

As far as filters, they may be totally different with that set up vs stock Amsoil replacement filter for the Hemi. It is a good set up. I met someone in Texas that had a Ford F-350 with that setup & he claimed he had 160,000+ on the same oil. I asked if he would pull the dipstick. He did & oil looked brand new---a nice honey brown. I was impressed. But the bypass filter was $35 & had to be replaced every 15,000 miles, in addition with the other one every 7500 miles.

#8 · (Edited)
I plan on doing yearly (25,000) mile Engine Oil and Filter Changes. I'm gonna Run 0w-30 Amsoil Signature Series Oil, The EaBP110 By-pass filter, and a large full flow filter. I'm also gonna start using the Amsoil Air Filter too. It's supposedly filters better than any other air filter out there, is cleanable, and does not use any oil. I've already switch my rear differential to Amsoil, but I plan on buying the Mag-Hytech larger capasity rear cover. I'm also eventually gonna buy the Mag-Hytech Extra Large Capasity Transmission Pan and make the switch to Amsoil in the Transmission as well. I'm also considering going to larger Oil coolers as well

#9 ·
I'm also gonna start using the Amsoil Air Filter too. It's supposedly filters better than any other air filter out there, is cleanable, and does not use any oil.
Try an aem dryflow or airaid's new dry filter, they both filter as well or better than paper elements. The amsoil filters may filter well but to me cleaning w/ compressed air or vacuuming doesn't seem to be as effective at cleaning as water and detergent. The dryflow and airaid's synthamax are both cleaned w/ simple green and water, let dry, and reinstall.

#10 ·
I'm pretty sure those non oiled aem or airradi filters are still a cotton-gauze over mesh type filter. I don;t trust them to filter as well.

#13 ·
They are not cotton, the dry filters are made of a synthetic material, here is info on the synthamax http://www.airaid.com/smax.aspx and filtration test using fine dust http://www.airaid.com/smax_flow_test_page.html. The FAQ's page w/ info on the dryflow is here http://www.aemintakes.com/faq.htm#8 and here is a filtration test done by k&n on the aem drop in for rams http://www.knfilters.com/dynocharts/AEM-28-20247.pdf. These filters have both been tested to be over 99% efficient. What else do you need to convince you they are worth your money?

#11 ·
I think I found what I was looking for. According to K&N website the thread size is M22x1.5 Special Thread. And they did show a different number for prior years, so that's a good sign.

So that means I need the Bypass Spin-on Adapter 22mm - 1.5mm Product Code: BK299-EA.

#12 · (Edited)
Here is my parts list:

1.) #BMK23-EA Dual Remote Oil Filtration Kit - $271.65 - My Price: $208.50
2.) #BK299-EA Spin On Adapter - $56.25 - My Price: $44.95
3.) #EABP110-EA Absolute Efficiency By-Pass Filter - $47.80 - My Price: $36.70
4.) #EAO26-EA 25,000-Mile Ea Oil Filter - $23.20 - My Price: $17.65
5.) #AZOQT-CA Signature Series 100% Synthetic 0W-30 Motor Oil (case of 12 quarts) - $125.35 - My Price: $92.85
6.) #EAA176-EA Absolute Efficiency Air Filter - $47.45 - My Price: $36.15

To get the reduced price all you have to do is become a Prefered Customer for $20 a year

#16 ·
Think it's really worth the $$$?

Been changing the oil on my '08 4.7 every 7.5-9k miles with a quality OTC synthetic (pennzoil ultra, mobil 1, German castrol), and motor still runs like a top with 140k+ miles of high rpms, heavy loads, and TONS of engine braking. Figure with 5qt+filter oil specials, cost comes out to ~$35 per oil change if you're changing it yourself.

Also remember that oil color is no real indication of it's condition...

#17 ·
No, but it is the quickest indicator of contamination. Soot & carbon turn it black. Water & radiator fluid turn it milky color. If it is not black, or milky colored, then you can rule out contamination instantly. It still may have sheered though.

I met a Ford F-350 CC 4x4 owner in Texas a few years back while on vacation. His oil had 160,000+ miles on it according to him. He had the Amsoil dual filter/bypass system installed. He pulled the dipstick & it was still honey brown & so clear, you could see through it.

#18 ·
After the inital investment, I pay 147.20 (that's with a whole case of oil) and both filters for a yearly oil change, because I drive between 20k and 25k a year. That comes out to $0.005888 per mile toward oil changes, or the same as paying $18 for an oil change every 3k miles. Now an $18 oil change is gonna be with the shitty barrel bulk oil and shitty filter at some quick lube place. So ya I think it's worth it lol.

Also keep this in mind, you are adding about 3 quarts to the system, which helps with cooling too. Ans those bypass filters filter down to about 1-2 microns

#22 ·
I like the additional cooling of having the filters remotely mounted. But on the other hand there is a certaian vulnerability of having exposed hoses and filters. I'll proably just keep it simple and stay with the stock filter. Just thinking out loud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.