Programming A New Key and/or Fob? - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
Closed Thread

post #1 of 8 Old 01-21-2013, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Red Scare
Retired DT Staff

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Programming A New Key and/or Fob?

Here is a tutorial on how to program a new key and/or fob to your Mopar. I will cover 2002/3-2005 and 2006-2009.

Disclaimer: All of the "customer learn" procedures for programming new keys REQUIRE the vehicle to have at least two keys pre-programmed and on hand to use BEFORE programming new keys to the vehicle! IF YOU DO NOT HAVE TWO KEYS ALREADY PROGRAMMED TO THE VEHICLE YOU WILL NEED TO HAVE THE DEALER OR AN INDEPENDENT REPAIR FACILITY WITH THE FACTORY SCANTOOL(S) PROGRAM THE SECOND KEY.

** 2002/3-2005 **
The early third gen vehicle keys/fobs look like this...

The vehicles that do not have remote keyless entry (RKE) still have a chip inside the key, this system is called the sentry key immobilizer system (SKIS). The key sends a signal to the sentry key immobilizer module (SKIM) which allows the ignition to start the vehicle.

The SKIM in every new vehicle is pre-programmed with 2 keys from the factory. The system allows up to 8 keys to be programmed to a single vehicle. If you have your two factory keys and would like to add more, below is the step by step instruction.

PROGRAMMING A SENTRY KEY

1. Insert one of the two programmed sentry keys into the ignition and turn it to the ON position.
2. After the ignition switch has been on ON for about 3 seconds, but no more than 15 seconds, turn the ignition OFF and remove the first key. Insert the second programmed sentry key and turn the ignition to ON for at least 3 seconds again, but no more than 15 seconds. Leave the second key in with the ignition on ON.

*** THE KEY SWAPPING STEPS MUST BE DONE WITHIN 15 SECONDS OF EACHOTHER. ***

3. In about 10 seconds the VTSS (single red anti-theft light on the cluster) will begin to flash, indicating it has entered "customer learn" mode.
4. Within 60 seconds of entering learn mode, turn the ignition OFF and remove the programmed key. Insert a blank sentry key and turn the ignition to ON. In about 10 seconds the VTSS light will stop flashing and stay on solid for about 3 seconds, then turn off indicating it has programmed the new key. The vehicle will now exit learn mode. Turn the key to OFF and leave the ignition off for 60 seconds.

If the vehicle is equipped with RKE and you would like to program a new fob, then follow the instructions below.

PROGRAMMING AN RKE TRANSMITTER/FOB

1. Enter the vehicle and close all doors.
2. Fasten the driver seat belt and turn the ignition to RUN.
3. Press and hold the UNLOCK button on a programmed fob for 4-10 seconds. Within the 4-10 second range also press the PANIC button for 1 second. If done correctly you will hear a chime indicating the vehicle is in learn mode.
4. Press and release both the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons on an unprogrammed fob. If done correctly you will hear a single chime indicating the fob is now recognized.
5. Press and release any button on the fob and you should hear another single chime indicating the fob is now programmed.
6. Turn the ignition to OFF and wait 60 seconds for the vehicle to leave learn mode.

** 2006-2009 **

In 2006, Mopar went to an all-in-one sentry key and fob which looks like this...

There are no separate fobs for the vehicles as they are now part of the key, which means the process that programs a sentry key to the vehicle also programs the fob. There is an additional module added to the CANbus vehicles, called the sentry key remote entry module (SKREEM). These vehicles also come from the factory with 2 keys pre-programmed and the capacity for a total of 8 keys. If you have your factory keys and would like to add more, read below.

PROGRAMMING A REMOTE ENTRY SENTRY KEY

1. Insert one of the two programmed sentry keys into the ignition and turn it to the ON position.
2. After the ignition switch has been on ON for about 3 seconds, but no more than 15 seconds, turn the ignition OFF and remove the first key. Insert the second programmed sentry key and turn the ignition to ON for at least 3 seconds again, but no more than 15 seconds. Leave the second key in with the ignition on ON.

*** THE KEY SWAPPING STEPS MUST BE DONE WITHIN 15 SECONDS OF EACHOTHER. ***

3. In about 10 seconds the VTSS (single red anti-theft light on the cluster) will begin to flash, indicating the SKIS has entered "customer learn" mode.
4. Within 60 seconds of entering learn mode, turn the ignition OFF and remove the programmed key. Insert a blank sentry key and turn the ignition to ON. In about 10 seconds the VTSS light will stop flashing and stay on solid for about 3 seconds, then turn off indicating it has programmed the new key. The SKIS will automatically exit learn mode. The vehicle can be started after cycling the ignition to OFF then back to ON.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DodgeTalk.com Staff | Automotive Technician | Mopar Enthusiast

Mineral Gray Metallic 2012 Grand Cherokee Overland 4x4

Brilliant Blue Metallic 1995 Dakota Sport
Diamond Racing | Molnar Technologies | Schumacher Designs
Keep up to date with my 440/727 swap progress
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-21-2013, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Red Scare
Retired DT Staff

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
You can buy a blank key and have it cut to match your ignition at the dealer by using the VIN.

DodgeTalk.com Staff | Automotive Technician | Mopar Enthusiast

Mineral Gray Metallic 2012 Grand Cherokee Overland 4x4

Brilliant Blue Metallic 1995 Dakota Sport
Diamond Racing | Molnar Technologies | Schumacher Designs
Keep up to date with my 440/727 swap progress

post #3 of 8 Old 01-22-2013, 01:11 PM
FreeLantz
Jeep Driver

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Great write-up, Franco. I'll put a copy of this in the "How To" articles section later today.

David Lantz
2013 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "10th Anniversary"

President, Texas Four Wheel Drive Organization Sugar Land Chapter
facebook.com/TX4WDSL

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 01-22-2013, 07:02 PM
nkyhemi

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Outstanding!

2007 Hemi 4x4: Superchip Flashpaq- Gibson exhaust-True Flow tube w/ams oil nano fiber- N-Fab nerf bars-Rhino Liner- Bushwacker street flares- Tinted Windows-Tow Mirrors- SEMed front and rear bumpers- Galaxy DX919 c.b. w/a Wilson 2000 ant.17in. Procomp Xtreme alloy 7005 rims. Tires Fierce Attitude M/T 285/70r
post #5 of 8 Old 02-04-2013, 07:10 PM
MonsoonMike
Site Administrator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Garage
OK I got my new key, my wifes 2006 Durango will not go into learn mode. I've tried it a few times..

Any one else have issues or is there something I am missing.

::2014 Ram 2500 CTD Crew Cab Granite Crystal Metallic::
My Vehicle Build =

2017 Ram 1500 Big Horn Delmonico Red
My Vehicle Build =

post #6 of 8 Old 02-04-2013, 09:02 PM
gcash81001
HEMI

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to gcash81001 Send a message via MSN to gcash81001
same thing in my 2005 ram

2005 Ram 1500 Laramie

SRT-10 Hood,rumble bee body kit, 22 Liquid Metal Wingman, Nitto 420s 305/45, Mopar Rear Fender Liners, 2/4.5 Drop, Air Lift Rear Bags, SC Cortex, True Flow CAI, Power Wire, Sonnax Line Pressure Booster, AIRRAM Jet Scoop
post #7 of 8 Old 02-05-2013, 11:09 AM
MonsoonMike
Site Administrator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Garage
I think a 2005 has a completely different procedure.. but I could be wrong.. At least the remote are completly different.

::2014 Ram 2500 CTD Crew Cab Granite Crystal Metallic::
My Vehicle Build =

2017 Ram 1500 Big Horn Delmonico Red
My Vehicle Build =

post #8 of 8 Old 02-23-2013, 08:37 AM
ipmarine

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone know if the remote from an '05 Ram Hemi can be reprogrammed to operate the door locks on an '03 Dakota 4.7. Picked up the used Dakota for a run-around vehicle. Came with spare keys but no remote.

Black 2005 Hemi 4x4 QCw/20"s

BriteLines Billet grills (upper & downer)/Power wire
Homebrew 4" cai (painted black w/ gold pearl)
H. Hat painted black w gold pearl & orange pearl insert/ Taylor Thundervolt longs
Billet fuel door / replaced single w/ OEM 6 disc changer // Infinity 6 1/2" rr doors. Infinity Kappa 6x9's front doors.
2" soft dome tweeters (in dash)Halo plugs (experiment)
60" led brake light bar / Wheel well liners
Stainless 'Dodge' door sills; OEM molded mud "deflecters" (sounds better than flaps)Leer cap / Manik s.s. Taillight guards/ In-cap mounted marine stereo w / 2 ,6 1/2"s
Fabricated a fiberglass liner for lower center seat storage for use as a mini cooler.

Future mods: Whatever crosses my dirty 'lil mind
Also now, an '03 Dakota Q-cab 4.7
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in