Closed Thread

post #1 of 5 Old 10-13-2016, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
stew_392

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Hemi ticking?

So my truck seems to me like it has a liftter tick but I can't really tell. I have the 14 2500 6.4 hemi it's been like this for a good while long enough that I actually got use to it and Forgot that I might have an issue until my shop manager pointed it out the the other day, just been really busy a lot lately and haven't had time to check it out. I did squeeze some time in today on my lunch break to peak around checked the exhaust manifold bolts, those where fine BUT did not check the ones covered by the heat shield, took my stethoscope and lessened in on the valve covers from what I could reach, my cheapy scope is short so the closer I get to the engine the more wind noise I hear from the fan so I'm gonna see if one of my tool guys has one that's better and has longer reach to eliminate that. Also I thought was kinda interetsting the injectors on these 6.4s are pretty damn loud with the scope I mean louder than I've ever heard any other injector, put the scope on the fuel rail and it sounds like a old 12 valve cummins, which sounds similar to the sound. Does it all all temp ranges pretty much just wondering if anyone else is having this some research I've done is 50/50. 50% it's and problem and even 50% it's normal hemi stuff but I don't know know this is my first hemi and my first variable valve timed engine which I just thought maybe it's the vvt but I'm not sure, really don't wanna go to the dealer if I don't have too but it is what it is I guess.

BTW: while searching through some TSBs I came across one for the drone/ vibration gen going in to eco mode if anyone else's is experiencing this it's the engine mounts they have have re designed ones just wanna through that out there.
Quick Reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-14-2016, 06:56 AM
Jelly68

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Hemi's tick. Switch to MOBILE 1 oil. Tick should go away.

Iv'e done more stupid crap as an adult than I ever did as a kid.
post #3 of 5 Old 10-14-2016, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
stew_392

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the reply,been running Mobil one since them and royal purple was the only ones i found back in 2014 to have 0w40 oil, ran the purple once the found the mobile 1 much cheaper. I've been hearing that a lot especially after they are broken in mine has 22k on it. My father got one a few months ago but his has about 6k on it and I don't really notice the tick on his (yet).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 10-14-2016, 02:45 PM
dmcelhannon
Admin - David Mack

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
From an old DT post....

A few 4.7L owners in the past have said the "tick" was an exhaust leak. They claimed the manifold had come lose and caused the sound you're hearing. They also claimed they put in new exhaust gaskets with better locking nuts on the manifold and everything was like new; no "tick".

There have been others that have said the "tick" was worn rockers. Some have even said they heard the "tick" and later, one of the rockers failed; this of coarse damage the head.

And yet others have said they have been told by Dodge tech’s, it’s the timing chain tensioner causing the noise. The timing chain tensioner needs to pump up oil pressure upon startup and that it was a common issue. If you can rule out the exhaust like mentioned above you may want to consider changing to lighter weight oil for the winter and better oil filter as well. Some have always run m1 5W30 syn-oil and have experienced the tapping noise. They changed out to M1 0w30 syn-oil with the m1 oil filter and it has reduced the tapping quite a bit. I personally do not like running the low weight oil in my truck but I don't have the "tick" sound with my truck. One thing is for sure; you need to make sure to let the engine warm up a couple of extra minutes until that tapping stops before driving away.

Hemi

In the past, DT members have said the "tick" was an exhaust leak, worn rockers, worn push rods, and the timing chain tensioner causing the noise. A few have said it's the fuel injectors. If you can rule out the exhaust leak and the others mentioned above you may want to consider changing to lighter weight oil and a better oil filter as well. Some have always run M1 5W30 synthetic-oil and have experienced the tapping noise. They changed out to M1 0w30 synthetic-oil with the M1 oil filter and it has reduced the tapping quite a bit.

If you start a thread, be responsible and post the final outcome.

2002 Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 QC ~ 02 Ram 45RFE to Jeep GC TCM 5-45RFE Upgrade - (Nov.01) 4.7L with 91K/3588hrs, 4.56 R&P/DTT, Sonnax Line Booster, SRT-10 Pod w/Dynojet Wideband Commander, 2-speed manual transfer-case, Clifford Security System w/Auto Start/Auto Windows, RB1 CD/DVD/NAV Infinity Sound System w/30GB iPod, Offroad Package, 33" Bridgestone Dueler A/T, Mopar Rear Wheel Liners, K&N w/Airaid Jr Modular Intake Tube, BBK 70mm Throttle Body, AIR_RAM Jet Stream Scoop, PML Diff Cover, ASP Underdrive Crank Pulley, MSD 1.65 Alt Pulley, V8 Lincoln E-Fan, 2-Speed DCC E-Fan Controller, 180 Jet T-Stat, Flowmaster SI/DO Exhaust, Tire-2-Tire Chrome Tuber Step, Line of Fire LED Light Bar, Sylvania Ultra Silverstars

Texas 1845: We the People of the Republic of Texas, acknowledging,
with gratitude, the grace and beneficence of God.

post #5 of 5 Old 11-06-2016, 12:33 AM
Jixxer1127

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I recently purchased a 2011 Ram 2500 with a 5.7 liter Hemi I drove it from Phoenix to Prescott Arizona where it's colder and noticed it was starting to make a knocking or ticking noise when I first start it, that kind of noise drives me insane knowing that something may be wrong with the vehicle so I used one of the oldest tricks in the book a laid underneath I took a long screwdriver I tested every engine part with my ear I first place the screwdriver on the exhaust cause they told me exhaust bolts are broken there was no ticking noise then the exhaust no ticking noise and the oil pan No ticking noise or the bellhousing. I then put the screwdriver on the engine block just above the oil pan on both sides of the engine and I could clearly hear the knocking noise from inside the engine, after doing this test I'm completely convinced it's just the sound of the internal engine either the lifters or the Pistons or something in there there is nothing wrong with it and it goes away after it warms up or at higher RPM. So if your truck or car starts making this noise don't freak out I don't think there's a damn thing wrong with it, even though it's probably going to irritate you.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in