clay bars and paint - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
Closed Thread

post #1 of 12 Old 08-08-2003, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
mark thomas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question clay bars and paint

never heard of that one, hows it work?

Mark Thomas
2003 Cummins Powered 4x4 Quad Cab Southern Comfort Conversion Packedge.

Straight Through 4" exhaust.
K&N Filter element.
Custom Turbo Silencer eliminator (made by me)
Quick Reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-09-2003, 12:00 AM
Seth

I have used it before and let me tell you, I think it worked very well! They claim that it takes the contaminants like imbedded dirt, pollution, pollen, etc. and removes them from the paint to give the paint a very fresh look and make it very smooth. I can tell you that it did both. I was actually surprised at how smooth my paint was compared to an untreated area. It lifted off a lot of dirt even tho I had just washed my truck 5 minutes before, so it must be doing a good job. All you have to remember is to switch sides of the clay bar often by bending and mushing the bar into place, otherwise the dirt and pollutants that are on the bar will end up scracthing your paint. Clay bars do take off all wax and polish, so you have to do that again after you treat it will the clay. I got the Meguiars kit that I ordered from a local car shop. Have fun shining up your truck!

97 Dodge Ram 4X4 5.9L Sport

Add-ons:
Grill Guard, Roll/Light Bar, Nerf Bars, Hood Scoops, Dodge bed-liner

Tires:
Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's - The best off-roading tire out there!!

Performance:
K&N FIPK, Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, MSD 8.5mm wires, NGK V-Power Spark Plugs, Accel Brass Cap and Rotor, Accel Super Coil, Fastman 52mm TB, 180* T-stat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 Old 08-09-2003, 01:03 AM
SonOfMoon

Send a message via AIM to SonOfMoon Send a message via Yahoo to SonOfMoon
I have heard of them befor and it allwas seems like good things...where can i get a Clay Bar? Sounds like something i need to try out.

'01 Dakota Sport 4x4 4.7L Daily Driver
H.O Cams, 05 intake mainfold, CAI, ATI U/D pully, JBA Headers, 545rfe Swap,SuperChips, Power-wire, Bed Liner, Remote Start, reworked Y-pipe & single 3in exhaust
'98 Trans Am As Stock as my truck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 08-10-2003, 08:13 PM
KellerSS/T
Wreck Em Tech

Auto Zone carries the Clay Magic clay bar from Automagic. I believe you can also pick one up online at their website. http://www.automagic.com

1997 Dodge Ram SS/T Black with Silver Stripes
Hughes Engines 52mm Billet Stage II TB
Accel Extreme 9000 8mm Wires
Brass Cap and Rotor
180* Thermostat W/ Aluminum Water Neck
Flowmaster 40 Series 3" inlet/offset outlet
Hypertech PP III
Gibson Stainless Steel Headers W/ Fel-Pro Gaskets
Catco Hi-Flow Cat (gutted)
3inch Exhaust Cutout
K&N Generation II FIPK with Thermotech heat shield
Relocated IAT Sensor
2" Rear Belltech Lowering Shackles
Extang Black Max Tonneau Cover
Falken Ziex S/TZ 275/60/17
Timing Chain and Harmonic Balancer replaced @ 180,000
post #5 of 12 Old 08-10-2003, 08:24 PM
rockadaous
Keystoner

Send a message via AIM to rockadaous Send a message via MSN to rockadaous
Mothers also does a claybar setup. I bought mine from pep boys for around $12. Well worth it. It's a workout. In the directions is says the claybar can do up to 6 trucks. My advice is to check it. You don't want to scratch your paint. it comes with a bottle of QD (quick detailer) which serves as a lubricant for the bar. It comes with directions

rock

99 SLT+ 4X4 (5.2/318 & 44RE trans)
Patriot Blue (3.55 axle ratio)
Interior mods
APC rev glow gauges*Lotek Gauge Pod w/APC gauges*Nu-Image A/C & light panel*Redline shifter*Pilot titanium mesh pedals*Nu-Image gauge bezel*dodge logo door sills*blue jel light covers*Phoenix imaging interior
Exterior mods
Keystone kit*Cervinis SS Hood*Keystone Spoiler*Billet gas door*Altezza tail lights*Diamond cut euro headlights & parks*SS speed grille*3A Racing fog lights*APC M3 mirrors* MB Motoring Smoothies 20X10*Goodyear Eagle GT II 275/45/20*Pilot billet antenna*chrome differential cover*shaved roof rack*vent visors*APC bulbs*smiley grill*reflex shocks*drilled & slotted rotors*hawk HPS pads*TFP handle covers*2" drop"debadged
Engine mods
Intense performance stage II CAI w/9" big mouth filter*mopar valve covers*TD billet engine caps*180 T-stat*IAT Sensor Mod*GSport radiator hose*Goodyear gatorback S-belt*Flowmaster 40 series muffler*Dual exhaust*synthetic fluids*yellow loomz*brass cap & rotor* BP billet fuse cover*AL 3923 plugs*

post #6 of 12 Old 08-10-2003, 09:09 PM
manueljlg
Gold Member

I use Meguiars and it works really good on my truck.
You can buy them at www.meguiars.com
Last time i did the whole thing (wash, clay bar, scratch X, polish and wax) I could not go to work the next day. Our trucks are BIGG!
post #7 of 12 Old 08-16-2003, 12:49 AM
Mountain Goat
Bronze Member

I used Clay Magic Clay Bar Today For First Time And I Must Say I'm Sold. I'll Never wax Anothe one Again Before I run that little piece of putty over it. I Did The Dumbest Thing And left My Truck Out In The Yard While I Was Painting My Fourwheeler. DiDn't look like any overspray was getting onto it and the next day you still coulnot see any I guess caues it was the same color as tht truck but when you ran you hand acrossthe flat surfaces they felt like sandpaper.
I Squirted a little lube on the hood and made one or two passes with the clay bar and it was smooth as glass. I Spent Tree Hrs The Day Before Wih compound grinder & Wax and still looked like a POS. Not Now About 45Min with The Clay Bar And an Hour or So with the buffer to wax and polish and the old goat looks better than it ever has
post #8 of 12 Old 10-18-2003, 06:26 AM
mopar fan
Retired DT Staff

I spent last Sunday detailing my truck. I used the Mothers clay bar system. My truck is white, so i was a little skeptical on how it would turn out. What do you think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc00314.jpg (62.1 KB, 128 views)

Name's
AL

Proud Member of the Original WCPW Club
If you don't stand behind our troops, PLEASE feel free to stand in front of them.

Official Dodgetalk Facebook Page:

Like us! Prize Giveaways, News, and More!!!

post #9 of 12 Old 10-18-2003, 06:58 AM
kervin22
Dont Dodge It, Ram It

Your truck looks sweet Mopar Fan. I have often thought about using the clay bar but haven't yet. I think I will do it the next nice day we have so I can have it all ready for winter.

Kevin J. Vitte
1998 Dodge Ram 1500
Purple, Silver
5.2 L, V8, Westin Step Bars, Custom Exhaust, TSC Toolbox, Pioneer CD Player, Bed Liner, Remote Starter, Keyless Entry, Towing Package, Vent Visors, Bug Deflector.
post #10 of 12 Old 10-19-2003, 12:34 AM
Bryanh23
Year 1 Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Garage
i used mothers claybar and it works wonders

06 QC RAM 1500 4X4 SLT "BIG HORN" HEMI

Visual Upgrades:
Polyshield SS100 spray on bedliner, JackRabbit Retractable Tonneau Cover, POP&LOCK tailgate lock, Mostly Debadged

Engine Upgrades:
NGK LZTR4A-11 Plugs, SPECTRE high flow air intake, AirRam JET STREAM SCOOP, AUTOPAGE C3-RS-625 autostart

Other Rides:
03 Mustang Mach 1 Zinc Yellow 1 of 869

92 Mustang LX 5.0 Notchback Emerald Green (restoration in work)
post #11 of 12 Old 11-03-2003, 09:59 AM
2Hottie
Hmmm....Britney!

Send a message via AIM to 2Hottie
I just did the clay on ,ine this past weekend...never did it since I had bought it back in April...you would be amazed at the film of crap that came off the paint....you could actually see it in the clay bar....I used the Clay Magic bar and it worked out well...

2Hottie

Shelly & Scott - January '03
Soon to be Engaged!
post #12 of 12 Old 11-21-2003, 09:02 AM
y2kota

Works wonders. Did mine and it came out better than new.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in