DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stole it from the Durangos and I like it

10K views 114 replies 22 participants last post by  KC_Metal 
#1 ·
So I was reading about the "Black Mamba" air intake the 3rd gen durangos were doing, and thought it would work for my truck too. I went to a junk yard and bought a hat from a 03 Dakota V6, needed the bolt too from it. Then I got the pipe at Home Depot and rubber connector, then filter from the auto parts store. I am going to be making a heat sheild sometime, just not sure out of what. I have $50 in it all. I am going to paint it to match the body color. Instead of "Black Mamba" I think I will call it the "Smurf", or any ideas? What do you guys think of it?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Any ideas for one? I seen the trash can one but not sure if it can handle the heat.

#5 ·
X2 on getting a heat shield

#6 ·
Thanks I wll go later on today and hoepfully will have something by tomorrow, then I can start painting it.

#10 ·
Yeah I am not sure with durangos I guess I should have said newer style. I drive like 3 to 4 miles one way to work in town(30-35 mph) so I better get a sheild up I think.

#8 ·
It does look good

#11 ·
If that filter is a cleanable one, I would highly recommend getting a filter warp for the filter. It will keep all the bug parts out of all the filter nooks and crannys, and trust me, it is a pita to clean. Speaking of which, I have to do the same again as I didn't get my filter wraps in time.

Congrats on the good idea. I would steal it if I already didn't have one by now!

#12 ·
do you ever go offroad? i had a cai at the same spot and splashed thru some water and bent a rod

#13 ·
No not much offroad use. Thats the reason I am looking at making a box and just doing a ram air setup though. I have heard alot of stories about water getting up there.

#16 ·
No heat shield on my K&N and I have no heat issues...
We just said he should look at getting one due to his being right next to the rad.

#18 ·
So I went to Home Depot found a heating duct and cut it, lined it inside and out with that heat tape stuff. Not sure if this will work or not. I threw some paint on the Mamba today, I think I am gonna go get another pipe and paint it up nice. I may take the sheild off too. Sorry for the bad pics they are with a cell phone, I am going to detail the truck tomorrow so I will get some good ones tomorrow.

Attachments

#19 ·
your camera has some blue tint to it.

u can call it the Smurf Sh@@@long.

#20 ·
wiseone, check ur inbox

#21 ·
NICE! that looks really good now and youl keep your air cold :tup:

#22 ·
Got some new pics without the blue tint.

Attachments

#24 ·
Thanks! Now I am looking at doing the throttle body and "kegger" mods my self. There's a guy around me that is parting his truck out and I am waiting on some prices from him on a bunch of stuff. Hopefully its cheap

#25 ·
Does the tube come curved like that already? Is it PVC or metal? What diameter?

I switched to an open style because I saw it on here and liked it, now I want one of those instead.

#27 ·
Its electrical conduit and it comes pre bent.At my Home Depot its on the bottom shelf.Get the one with the end on it as it is only like $9-10 and will work with the filter since it fits 3-4 inch pipe. I have only found the pipe in 3 inch but maybe an electrical supply place has it in 4", I haven't had time to look much.

We just had a storm roll though here that I got caught in and I had no trouble. The filter is by the radiator but about 4-5 inches behind it. Not sure if the rain can get there.I am looking at getting one of those wraps for the filters, I think they are called outerwears?? just in case. Also after driving for over an hour and half I felt the tube and it was just warm not really hot. :tup:

Attachments

#28 ·
They used to make a piece that you put in the middle of your intake tube that wouldn't allow water through. The guy that designed it had a big clear tube attached to his NSX and would show submerging the tube in a bucket of water to show it's effectiveness. Though I think it would only work if there was enough water to seal the tube, which would never happen unless you were crossing a river or something.

#29 ·
Could also put in a bypass valve in

#30 ·
#31 ·
#32 ·
Ok, I bought the airhat at the scrap yard for $20. I was test fitting it and had one hell of a time getting on there with the mounting screw in place. I tried with the one I did the 'S' curve on and the stock one with the two bolts on the little bracket. I had a very hard time getting it over the screw and under the wiring harness.

Did you have to wrestle it in there, or am I doing something wrong?
94 1500 318

#34 ·
I left the bolt loose so that I could angle it so the hat would slide over it. I then tightened it. It took me a little while to get it to go. Also the hat only fit on the TB one way. See pics of direction.

#33 ·
for my airhat, i had the s bolt screwed on but not all the way, have the top part unscrewed so its towards the front of the truck, place airhat on, then tighten it into position

#35 ·
I know it onlu goes on one way, I was just having trouble with the bolt. I currently put my open style cover on that way. Have the S towards the front and line up the hole in the cover, then rotate it half turn. I was just wondering if that could be avoided with this set up.

Any mods done to the actual airhat? Removing any of the inner fins or anything?

Plug the vent tube or use it? Did you also relocate your IAT sensor to the tube?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.