DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Front rotors grinding against steering knuckle?

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  dannewman 
#1 ·
Hello Everyone, I have been on here for a while but just never got around to posting. But now I have a problem that I am hoping someone can help shed some light on.

A few months ago I replaced the hubs on my '98 Ram 4x4 and at the same time replaced the brakes and rotors. Everything seemed fine.
Yesterday I had the front of my truck jacked up and I happen to try to spin the driver's tire and noticed a terrible grinding sound. After removing the tire I could see that the back side of the rotors were grinding against the steering knuckle. The passenger side is that same. But I cannot figure out why this would be happening and all the mechanics I spoke to at a local dealership just gave me a blank look.
Is is possible that the hubs I installed are too narrow? Has anyone here seen this problem?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

(I would love to include pictures but I need 4 more posts.)

#4 ·
Are they the right rotors for the truck? That is the only think I can think of.

#5 ·
I bought new rotors and compared them to the ones on the truck and they are the same.
I am suspecting that the hubs used are are narrower than the previous hubs.
I don't know if this is possible but it is the only thing I can think of. I replaced hubs and rotor about a year ago. then a few months ago the dealer had to replace the hubs because one of them became very noisy. The rotors where not changed at this point and did not have any unusual wear (ie. grinding). So this points to the hubs.

One more post and I will be able to include some pics.

#8 ·
My thoughts are the hubs are failing. Suprised you havent heard this earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.