burnt blower motor harness - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

post #1 of 8 Old 08-09-2019, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
RonG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
burnt blower motor harness

The blower motor on my 2004 slt was acting weird for awhile--sometimes the blower speed was low or sometimes the blower motor would not come on at all. The blower motor was recently replaced with the compressor but the problem continued. I discovered that I could put pressure on the connector harness that goes to the blower speed resistor and the blower motor would come on. I took it back to my mechanic a couple of months ago and they found that the harness had melted and that was causing the blower motor to act up. Today I was in the front passenger seat and I could smell burning and when I touched the connector it was very hot. Any ideas as to what is causing this?
Quote Quick Reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-10-2019, 09:54 PM
guyonearth

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
What causing it is high current draw due to high resistance. Either the motor is defective, or the resistor assembly is defective, or the wiring contacts are not seating properly, are loose, or corroded. What happens very typically is a failing motor will draw increasing current, causing the resistor to overheat, which will damage the harness plugs and create a situation where you end up replacing everything.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-11-2019, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
RonG

(Thread Starter)
The blower motor, harness and resistor are all new. The blower motor was replaced in April, and the other two parts in June.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 08-13-2019, 05:27 PM
guyonearth

You could still have a loose connection, but bear in mind that these connections normally will get quite warm under a full load.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-14-2019, 12:46 AM
slcsoundguy

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Greetings. It does sound like your blower motor is bad. Whether it's new or not it could still be bad. It does happen. Also as mentioned check the connector for burning or melting. With you description, I'm going with the blower motor. Let us know what you come up with.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If it sounds good, it is good!
2003 Grand Caravan CeeVee
1991 Dodge Ram B250
post #6 of 8 Old 08-17-2019, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
RonG

(Thread Starter)
I just got my Durango back from the mechanic and he said it was a bad blower motor. We'll see how long this one last!
post #7 of 8 Old 08-20-2019, 06:09 PM
aircommuter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Time will maybe tell. The connector should not get hot under full load which is full speed as the resistor is not used at full speed only for the lower speeds. High current load is when you have low resistance. Think about it no resistance is a dead short. One needs to be sure there isn't anything keeping the airflow over the resistor as that is what protects it. Make sure there is an air restriction that is overloading the motor. Like one of the doors stuck or partially stuck. Many vehicles are known for broken air doors, all brands. It started when the makers went to stepper motors to actuate doors and the stops would break off as the computer would cycle the door every 20 starts of the vehicle. Once the stops broke then the door becomes the stop and it breaks also leading to various problems.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-20-2019, 06:34 PM
guyonearth

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircommuter View Post
Time will maybe tell. The connector should not get hot under full load which is full speed as the resistor is not used at full speed only for the lower speeds. High current load is when you have low resistance. Think about it no resistance is a dead short. One needs to be sure there isn't anything keeping the airflow over the resistor as that is what protects it. Make sure there is an air restriction that is overloading the motor. Like one of the doors stuck or partially stuck. Many vehicles are known for broken air doors, all brands. It started when the makers went to stepper motors to actuate doors and the stops would break off as the computer would cycle the door every 20 starts of the vehicle. Once the stops broke then the door becomes the stop and it breaks also leading to various problems.
You're completely wrong. Increasing resistance will increase current draw, and increased resistance will increasingly radiate energy as heat, up to the point of thermal failure. Any electrical circuit contains resistance, as a fundamental property of the conductors used. Any wire or connector subject to a current load that is an appreciable proportion of it's ultimate rating will build up some heat, often because the connector elements represent a both a higher resistance point in the circuit, and because their effective cross section of contact (especially if they are worn or loose) may be less than the wire itself. This is not abnormal. Hook up a high current draw device like a heater blower to a thin little wire, it will get red hot and fail...due to resistance. This is electronics 101, which I suspect you never took.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in