Had alternator replaced today, FYI - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
Closed Thread

post #1 of 18 Old 07-19-2008, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
stoploss

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Had alternator replaced today, FYI

Been having this whine from the engine compartment and I coulda swore it was the power steering pump so I took it in to the dealer with my service contract I purchased with the truck (pre-owned).

Now, I went with the Powertrain Plus warranty which is everything BUT electrical.

Of course, its the damn alternator is making the whine and not the power steering pump, typical as power steering is covered and alternator is not.

Whatever, it cost all of $370 to have the whole thing done so I wasn't as worried as I thought I would be.

I don't know if this is a typical problem but thought I'd share, I have an 04 RCSB Hemi sport with 90,000 miles.

2004 RCSB Hemi Sport-True duals, S/C Cortex, K&N drop in
2006 VTX 1800F-V&H Bigshots
2010 Mustang GT (wife's ride)-Corsa exhaust, SCT Xcal3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reg. Cab Truck Club #3
Trucks and Guns #49

Semper Fi
Quick Reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 07-19-2008, 05:20 PM
DodgeRcR

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
$370? That seems a bit steep. Hell, I paid $300 for a 225 amp alternator..but I also installed it myself.
I had a stock one I could have sold you for cheap. Oh well, as long as everything is working and you're happy!

Last edited by DodgeRcR; 07-19-2008 at 05:37 PM.
post #3 of 18 Old 07-19-2008, 05:34 PM
1tonmegacab

ya man buy one and i will help u put it in well depends on where u live lol

for your long bed mega cab conversion needs

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 07-19-2008, 06:14 PM
MikeHTally
Got 2 Hemis

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
I agree, but it's probably too late now. Alternators are "cave man" easy. You can get a 160ah from Advance for about $160.
post #5 of 18 Old 07-20-2008, 04:15 AM
Daytona1445

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeRcR View Post
$370? That seems a bit steep. Hell, I paid $300 for a 225 amp alternator..but I also installed it myself.
I had a stock one I could have sold you for cheap. Oh well, as long as everything is working and you're happy!
Where do you get a 225 that will work on the ram? I heard that anything larger than the 160 will cause the computer to freak out.

Bill

2005 Ram Daytona GoMango RC #1445
Orange Truck Club Member #19
Performance
Mopar CAI / 4.56 Superior Gears / Auburn limited slip / Edge Converter / Shift Kit / Viper Fan with FK50p Controller / Edelbrock mid headers / Custom True Dual Exhaust / Superchips Flashpaq / Summit Underdrive / 195 t-stat / Moe's 85mm TB / Mag-Hytec 68rfe pan / 1 ton trans cooler / G2 diff cover
Looks and Sound
Night Runner 22s / DJM 2" arms / McGaughys Flip with Notch & Air assist / Alpine, Orion, JL, Kicker audio / SilverStar lights / Optima Yellow / AEM Wideband O2 in SRT-10 Pillar / Retrax Bed Cover / Spray in Bed Liner / Mopar Billet fuel door / Daytona floor mats
Future plans
Depends what I can afford.
post #6 of 18 Old 07-20-2008, 07:04 AM
DodgeRcR

There was another thread about this as well. I dont think that is true. I have an 02, so Im not sure about other years, but Ive had mine on for a while without a single issue.
post #7 of 18 Old 07-20-2008, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
stoploss

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1tonmegacab View Post
ya man buy one and i will help u put it in well depends on where u live lol
Yeah, too late now, I do appreciate the offer though. Believe me, I am all about doing things myself to save a buck, I was just caught off guard with this one.
Thought it would be covered with the warranty, I was getting all giddy thinkin that I would get the upper hand by having the warranty......Whomp whomp whomp wahhhhh.

Thanks again though....btw I'm in Keller.

Reg. Cab Truck Club #3
Trucks and Guns #49

Semper Fi
post #8 of 18 Old 07-20-2008, 08:09 AM
PatriotBlueHemi

Send a message via AIM to PatriotBlueHemi
I think a couple of things you guys are overlooking is he paid the dealer price for an alternator and also and the more important part of this is LABOR. I am sure the dealer charges at or very near $100.00 per hour. The dealer probably lists the alternator for $200-250.00 and at least 1 hour minimum at probably $100.00, that would be $300-$350.

2003 Ram 1500 2WD QC
Laramie
Big Horn Edition
"Yeah it's got a HEMI in it"
Detroit Tru-Trac w/Yukon 4.56 Gears "Whoa"
Patriot
Blue over Silver Metallic
Jason painted to match Hard Tonneau Cover
SRT/10 painted to match Wing
Putco Chrome Gallore
In Channel Vent Shades
Flowmaster 40 series
AirRam CAI
AirRam Jet Scoop
AirRam Power Wire
Napa #191 180 T-Stat
Superchips #3715 tuned for 91 Octane
Taylor 8.2 BLUE Shorties
Blue Truck Club Member #76

Laramie Pkg Truck Club Member #6
post #9 of 18 Old 07-20-2008, 08:14 AM
MikeHTally
Got 2 Hemis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytona1445 View Post
Where do you get a 225 that will work on the ram? I heard that anything larger than the 160 will cause the computer to freak out.

Bill
The computer shouldn't care. Voltage is voltage. The larger capacity alternator is just able to meet the current demands of all the toys.
post #10 of 18 Old 07-20-2008, 08:22 AM
MikeHTally
Got 2 Hemis

Not overlooking it -- it just wasn't necessary, unfortunately. Yes, the dealer has higher overhead than a smaller shop. Additionally, he needs to apply greater markup to the parts. It's likely the dealer bought the part from the same place StopLoss could have. StopLoss wouldv'e paid more for it, due to onesies, vs. volume purchases. The dealer probably made 100% markup on the part.
post #11 of 18 Old 07-20-2008, 08:30 AM
DodgeRcR

Definitely not overlooking it, just stating that the dealer is a ripoff. But we all know that
post #12 of 18 Old 07-20-2008, 08:42 AM
PatriotBlueHemi

You can be assured of at least a 100% mark-up on the dealer's parts and probably more like 150%. Plus their labor rates tend to be higher than your average "Joe's" shops. I am all for doing the work yourself to save a buck if you can. I am a mechanic myself, so therefore I can. But many can not, do not have the knowledge even for the simplest tasks, or are afraid of the unknown...something they have never done before, do not have the means...tools, etc. So three hundred and some odd bucks seems high for an alternator change to me also who would change it myself, but when I figure he paid a premium for the part because it was a dealership and a premium for the labor all seemed to be within reason if you can see what I am trying to say here.

2003 Ram 1500 2WD QC
Laramie
Big Horn Edition
Patriot
Putco Chrome Gallore
In Channel Vent Shades
Flowmaster 40 series
AirRam CAI
AirRam Jet Scoop
AirRam Power Wire
Napa #191 180 T-Stat
Taylor 8.2 BLUE Shorties

post #13 of 18 Old 07-20-2008, 09:19 AM
1tonmegacab

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoploss View Post
Yeah, too late now, I do appreciate the offer though. Believe me, I am all about doing things myself to save a buck, I was just caught off guard with this one.
Thought it would be covered with the warranty, I was getting all giddy thinkin that I would get the upper hand by having the warranty......Whomp whomp whomp wahhhhh.

Thanks again though....btw I'm in Keller.
no problem man anytime i can be of assistance give me a shout

from now on if u have the option to not have them do something then try here first for answers and opinions( i am sure u already know/do this)

keller is not to bad its like 40 or so miles from here( and not to rub it in) we could have met in the middle someplace at a parts place and with a toolbox and the parts place we could have zipped this out in less than a hour

i am glad u got it fixed it just sux u paid so much but bottom line u got it done

post #14 of 18 Old 07-20-2008, 09:22 AM
1tonmegacab

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotBlueHemi View Post
I think a couple of things you guys are overlooking is he paid the dealer price for an alternator and also and the more important part of this is LABOR. I am sure the dealer charges at or very near $100.00 per hour. The dealer probably lists the alternator for $200-250.00 and at least 1 hour minimum at probably $100.00, that would be $300-$350.
we r not overlooking anything we r just pointing out the exact things u say we r overlooking

bottom line it cost way more than it should have but he got it done and no more worries

post #15 of 18 Old 07-20-2008, 09:23 AM
1tonmegacab

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotBlueHemi View Post
You can be assured of at least a 100% mark-up on the dealer's parts and probably more like 150%. Plus their labor rates tend to be higher than your average "Joe's" shops. I am all for doing the work yourself to save a buck if you can. I am a mechanic myself, so therefore I can. But many can not, do not have the knowledge even for the simplest tasks, or are afraid of the unknown...something they have never done before, do not have the means...tools, etc. So three hundred and some odd bucks seems high for an alternator change to me also who would change it myself, but when I figure he paid a premium for the part because it was a dealership and a premium for the labor all seemed to be within reason if you can see what I am trying to say here.
best answer so far its thats exaclty what we were all say summed up in one post

post #16 of 18 Old 07-20-2008, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
stoploss

(Thread Starter)
Yep, all so true with the markup, dam stealership.

Speaking of markup, ya'll oughta appreciate this: My wife works in bankruptcy for a large auto financier....anyway she got to go to the dealer auctions last Thursday.

The vehicles they have there are either repo's or brand new vehicles that are damage-in-transit.

She watched an 08 Ram QC, 4.7, leather, pretty much loaded go for 10,900. The damm Tundras were going for about 20 and she watched a ridiculous Prius, 06 go for 23k. Simply amazing, and I guarantee the dealer that got the Ram will mark that baby up BIG TIME.

Makes me sick, actually.

Yeah, the alternator was $200 with 137 in labor, tax and $13 disposal fee, stupid.

Thats what I get I suppose, but at least its fixed now.

Reg. Cab Truck Club #3
Trucks and Guns #49

Semper Fi
post #17 of 18 Old 07-20-2008, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
stoploss

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1tonmegacab View Post
no problem man anytime i can be of assistance give me a shout

from now on if u have the option to not have them do something then try here first for answers and opinions( i am sure u already know/do this)

keller is not to bad its like 40 or so miles from here( and not to rub it in) we could have met in the middle someplace at a parts place and with a toolbox and the parts place we could have zipped this out in less than a hour

i am glad u got it fixed it just sux u paid so much but bottom line u got it done
Yeah man, for sure. I actually work in Addison, most of the people I work with live in either Frisco or Plano.

Reg. Cab Truck Club #3
Trucks and Guns #49

Semper Fi
post #18 of 18 Old 07-20-2008, 02:19 PM
PatriotBlueHemi

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoploss View Post
Yep, all so true with the markup, dam stealership.

Speaking of markup, ya'll oughta appreciate this: My wife works in bankruptcy for a large auto financier....anyway she got to go to the dealer auctions last Thursday.

The vehicles they have there are either repo's or brand new vehicles that are damage-in-transit.

She watched an 08 Ram QC, 4.7, leather, pretty much loaded go for 10,900. The damm Tundras were going for about 20 and she watched a ridiculous Prius, 06 go for 23k. Simply amazing, and I guarantee the dealer that got the Ram will mark that baby up BIG TIME.
Yes Sir,
You Betcha! I am a Civil Service Vehicle Mechanic for the United States Air Force. I am retired USAF and now working as a civilian for them. I also have a dealer's license. I am not a dealer! This allows me to be able to go to auctions and buy a vehicle for "THOUSANDS" cheaper than what it will retail for on the lot. Typically all a dealer will put into a vehicle is "WHOLESALE" or to you and me "TRADE-IN" and not a dime more. Some vehicles depending on demand will bring more such as the Prius Hybrids. But general rule of thumb, wholesale is all she will go. The difference between Wholesale and Retail on a late model high ticket auto can be thousands, sometimes in the tens of thousands. Then the dealer makes out like he isn't making anything off this sale when he sells it to you. What a lot of people fail to do when trading is to back out the mark-up from the trade. People always say they got a good deal. That is the game, to make you feel like you won when it actuality they won and they won BIG! What I am talking about is let's say you are trading an older vehicle in for a $25,000.00 vehicle and they offer you $5,000.00 for your vehicle or a trade difference of $20,000.00. Now you have no way of knowing exactly, but just for fun let's say that the mark-up on the vehicle that you are buying after all incentives to the dealer through mfg, floor plan, etc is $5,000.00. So they made a $5,000.00 profit on the car that they sold you right? Now back that out of what they gave you for your car!! What did they give you for your car class? NOTHING! On paper they gave you Wholesale, but in reality they have NOTHING in it. Now when the next buyer comes along interested in your old car they will ask RETAIL for it and move somewhat and act like it is killing them because they aren't making any money. Don't get me wrong here, if they are going to stay in business they have to make a profit. But that is how the game is played!

2003 Ram 1500 2WD QC
Laramie
Big Horn Edition
Patriot
Putco Chrome Gallore
In Channel Vent Shades
Flowmaster 40 series
AirRam CAI
AirRam Jet Scoop
AirRam Power Wire
Napa #191 180 T-Stat
Taylor 8.2 BLUE Shorties

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in