Closed Thread

post #1 of 9 Old 11-08-2007, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
dcubeddd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Gas Mileage

I have purchased an '02 Ram Truck w/ a small 4.7L engine. It seems to be stock, except for the dual exhaust, and 20" Ram wheels. I am getting an average mileage of 13.4mpg with fairly sedate driving. This seems to me at least 5mpg lower than it should be. What are you stock guys getting, how can I tell what the rear end gearing is, and if a previous owner put some "power" eprom chip in it?
Quick Reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-09-2007, 10:41 AM
dodgefan360
Platinum 2K R/T

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Rear axle ratio should be on a sticker in the govebox, or on the side of the door. If you can't find or don't have either then give the dealer your VIN and they can certainly tell you what you're runnin'!

Average of 13.4mpg does seem a tad on the low side to me, considering my 5.9 durango averages 14mpg in mixed driving. If you have a 2wd then 13.4 is fairly low. A tuneup with good spark plugs might help out. Also keep in mind the 20" wheels weigh more than the standard 17's and will give the truck more rolling resistance. I accelerate gently and keep shifts under 2200rpm. With the 4.7 I'd probably keep shifts around 2300-2400rpm. Another note, my durango weighs 200-500lbs less than the ram depending on which cab you have.

2011 RAM Quad Cab 4x4 SXT 5.7 - Silver
108,000kms

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old 11-09-2007, 10:43 AM
anfinson1

if the truck came with 20's, you probably have the 3.92 gears. My 02 2wd 4.7 gets 14-16 average. I put plugs in when the milage dropped in the 13's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 11-09-2007, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
dcubeddd

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the input, this is my first Dodge. I will spin the plugs out and take a look at them this weekend, any ideas on a chip or anything like that? I haven't seen any on the profiles of anybody on the forum, so I don't know if they even make them. The intake stuff looks good for power, but i'm thinking that if you increase airflow, the FI will put in more gas, so that is not the way to go for mileage. I didn't expect to get Honda mileage, but I didn't expect to get RV mileage, either.....LOL
post #5 of 9 Old 11-10-2007, 02:01 PM
jameskjensen

I would give my left nut for 13.4 mpg. I am lucky if I get out of the 11's. If it is a four wheel drive and it has any kind of aggressive tire pattern your mileage is pretty typical. Also the 20's are heavier than the 17's that most of the 4.7's usually have so that will contribute to lower mileage. They don't make any chips for our trucks that do anything so if you find one on there you can probably take it off and not notice any difference.

White 2005 Ram 1500 4X4 QuadCab 4.7L

33X11.5X17 Hankook Dynapro MT RT03
2.5" T-Bar Crank w/Rancho RS5000 Shocks
AEM Brute Force CAI
Power Wire / JetStream Scoop
Bushwacker Paint-matched Pocket Flares
Worthless 3.55 gears

post #6 of 9 Old 11-13-2007, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
dcubeddd

(Thread Starter)
Thanks, Maybe I need to trade somebody for their 17's....There's a thought....I wonder if my odo and speedo are off because of the bigger wheels.
post #7 of 9 Old 11-13-2007, 09:53 AM
MegaCabMan

It's the size of the tire not the wheel that will throw your speedo off. What size tire do you have?

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!!

2010 4X4 Blue/Silver 2500 Megacab Laramie CTD--this ride is frigging sweeet!

Mods
Tool Box, Visor tint strip & tint to match rear windows, LineX

Club Memberships

post #8 of 9 Old 11-13-2007, 10:15 AM
mmmhoss

I have been told that 4:57 gears will actually gain you mpg as well as give you better power.

I was sceptical at first. But with much research on this forum.......I think they may have found a solution that not only saves fuel, but is more FUN.

I am saving up for a set of 4:57 gears LSD for my truck.
post #9 of 9 Old 11-13-2007, 11:23 AM
castro25

I have an 07 stock lonestar quadcab with around 6000 miles on it. When I fill up and drive around town I get around 13.5 mgp. IF I take it on the Highway I can get up to 19. It feels like my truck hates city driving.

2007 Lonestar Quadcab 4.7 V-8.
287 Enthusiast Member #169.
Lifetime Power Train Warranty holder.
Rhino Tuff Liner.
Floor Mats (front and rear)
Tinted Windows
Hella 500's behind the Grill
Rear Well Liners
Alarm to come.
Former Two Tone Club Member #4
Current Light Almond Pearl Club Member #12
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in