DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Half Regular, Half Mid-Grade

2K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  MikeHTally 
#1 ·
I've got a half tank of regular right now. I think I want to try running some mid-grade to see if my mpg goes up a little...

I never empty my tank, normally fill up between 3/4s and 1/2...

I wouldnt have a problem running two diff. grades of gas, would I?

#2 ·
Chase.Barnett said:
I've got a half tank of regular right now. I think I want to try running some mid-grade to see if my mpg goes up a little...

I never empty my tank, normally fill up between 3/4s and 1/2...

I wouldnt have a problem running two diff. grades of gas, would I?
None at all, but you won't see much difference.

#3 ·
I regularly mix 87 and 93 to approximate 90 or 91. Cheaper at Costco or Sam's than the regular stations. For instance, today at Costco, 87 was $3.42 and 93 was $3.55. Just across the street is a cut-rate gas station, selling 87 for $3.55. I'd guess their 89 is around $3.65. That made the half-tank of mixed cost just over $45 instead of nearly $48

#4 ·
generally from what I have read is it really takes about 2 full tanks for the engine to adjust for the higher octane, now with the new engines it may be different...but with my 04 Dakota that I had the 4.7 it took about that, for me see a diff in MPG...give it a try, let me know what ya find out.

#5 ·
MikeHTally said:
I regularly mix 87 and 93 to approximate 90 or 91. Cheaper at Costco or Sam's than the regular stations. For instance, today at Costco, 87 was $3.42 and 93 was $3.55. Just across the street is a cut-rate gas station, selling 87 for $3.55. I'd guess their 89 is around $3.65. That made the half-tank of mixed cost just over $45 instead of nearly $48
wow you saved 3 bux. I find it funny when people ask me where the cheapest gas is and i show them the math to prove what they are really saving. :thatfunny

#6 ·
That always cracks me up... I used to be like "Hey! Valero 30 seconds away has reg. for 3.10! BUT! I could drive another mile or so to Exxon and get it for 3.07..."

Then I sat down and thought about it... :IDEA:

#8 ·
Looks like you can put in for early retirement with that kind of savings... WOOHOO!!!!

#10 ·
You probably spend 78 a year though running that extra mile or so to that cheaper station... Or, you would in my case. :)

#11 ·
Actually, the Costco station is two hundred yards off my path home. The $3.55 place would be half-a-mile, counting the two u-turns to get to it. I NEVER drive extra distance to buy gas. My sister-in-law, on the other hand, drives TEN MILES to save fifteen cents a gallon. A former brother-in-law would put just enough gas in his truck to then drive TWENTY MILES to save about twenty cents/gal. :crazy:

#12 ·
If i'm not mistaken...mixing a half a tank of low grade with a half tank of high grade will NOT give you mid grade. Gasoline octane doesn't work that way. Your better off just picking an octane and sticking with it so that computer can have a chance to figure out what adjustments need to be made.

Chase, when you want to change octane levels, best to do it when the tank is almost empty!

#14 ·
He is true, thats how the refinerys make it. Local HEBs do the same thing only 2 tanks and three types of gas.

#15 ·
But what is the purpose of running anything other than 87 with your mods? You could argue for 89 if you mash it WOT all the time, but beyond that you are wasting far more money by trying to get "91" for no reason.

#17 ·
The manual on the Ram says 87 is "acceptable", 89 is "preferred", 93 "not recommended". The 300C says "NO" 87, 89 "acceptable", 91 "preferred" and 93 "not recommended". The half-tank of "90.7" ;) at Costco costs me less than a half-tank of 89 anywhere else. That half-tank of gas will last me two weeks unless there are a lot of errands that need a truck. The truck was not a happy boy with 87... I tried it. The Chrysler is even less happy... I made that mistake once.

#18 ·
Not trying to bash. Thought maybe I could save you some money. Mine ran great on 87. Now its 93 or bust but I'm detuned to even run that. Need to get my methanol setup running then I could hopefully even make an 87 tune for highway driving.

#19 ·
I work for a major oil co. midgrade is blended gas anyway. Its 65% 87oct. 35% 93oct. So mixing the gas won't hurt it at all.

#20 ·
86 power said:
I work for a major oil co. midgrade is blended gas anyway. Its 65% 87oct. 35% 93oct. So mixing the gas won't hurt it at all.
:thatfunny So you got any free gas cards to give out? :D

#22 ·
DODGE08HEMI said:
:thatfunny So you got any free gas cards to give out? :D

Ha Ha I wish I could get some for myself! Not even a discount imagine that

#24 ·
26 x?

26 times??? wow.. does that truck just sit in the drive way?? i have never made more than a week on tank a gas in my hemi... i drive probably 350kms a week..

#25 ·
Yep, my commute is just under sixteen miles round-trip. If I don't run any errands or need the trailer, I can go two weeks on half-a-tank of motion lotion. I used to drive between 17K and 20K per year, but I changed jobs three years ago. This one doesn't require any driving around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.