DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How to I troubleshoot what sounds like a valve tap

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  05SilverHemi 
#1 ·
I have a 94 1500 4x4 with the 5.2l, 125k miles

How do I trouble shoot what sounds like a valve tap?? It does seem to come and go. And it gets louder as the RPM's go higher. I am no expert so I may be jumping to conclusions saying a valve tap. I checked the oil, and checked the level. Good oil pressure (about 40psi), no back firing and MPG have not changed. If I listen under the hood while revving the RPM's, it sound like it is coming the valve cover area or maybe the injectors.

A little history....

Back in July I replaced the head gasket and all the other gaskets that were easy to replace at the time...i.e. intake, pletium, etc.

Besides have a check engine light that give the a code of 32..problems with the egr (which I have not had the time to look into), she has been running pretty good. Just hard to start but I think the fuel pump needs to be replaced due to the check valve in the fuel pump bleeding by.

I torqued everything down according to my book, even set to cam to the neutral position before torquing down the rockers.

Do I need to pull the valve covers again and re-torque?? Will a valve tap be visible with the valve covers off??

Any suggestions would help greatly.

See less See more
#2 ·
I would check the rocker arms to make sure they are all properly adjusted if you know its coming from under the valve cover. If its not that and you know it is on the top end you may have a bad lifter.

#4 ·
There is a specific procedure on how to adjust the rockers (aka valve lash). I would pull the valve cover and make sure they are properly adjusted. If they are then a "tap" would leave me to believe you may have a bad lifter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.