What is this part on my manual transmission - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

post #1 of 8 Old 06-05-2019, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
kevaug

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question What is this part on my manual transmission

Hi - Does anyone know what this part is and what it does?
its on my 2004 Ram 1500 4x4 with 4.7L 5 speed Manual trans
Mine seems to be leaking.
Looks like some type of hard plastic vacuum line coming into it as well?
Thanks

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ovqhavq3si...ranny.jpg?dl=0

Last edited by kevaug; 06-05-2019 at 08:36 PM.
Quote Quick Reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-05-2019, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
kevaug

(Thread Starter)
Photo link added
post #3 of 8 Old 06-05-2019, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
kevaug

(Thread Starter)
I think it might be my clutch slave cylinder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 06-06-2019, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
kevaug

(Thread Starter)
OK so heres a crazy question. I have another thread about a high idle after hitting a large puddle / lagoon during a flash flood at night and my truck acting as if its stuck in cruise control now without the cruise control on.

I am now concentrating on the area underneath the truck assuming the force of the water damaged something as everything in the engine bay that could lead to a high idle seems fine. I found a detached evap line from a harness connector that ended up melting on my exhaust and found my clutch slave leaking. Both are in the same area.
So I am thinking these two items got the brunt of the water. I have also noticed my shift being a little stiff lately - so no doubt I will need a new slave.

My crazy question is could the slave or somehow water infiltrated the trans or clutch and is causing it to stick and always be engaged.
Basically my manual transmission is sort of acting like a automatic transmission.
In neutral it doesnt move just idles at 1500-1600 but in gear I do not need t give it any gas and it will go.

Sorry if I should be continuing this thought on my high idle thread - not sure where to post this idea since this thought is related to my clutch slave & transmission.
post #5 of 8 Old 06-11-2019, 08:16 PM
guyonearth

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
1500 is WAY too fast for an idle speed. 750-800 is more normal. No wonder it "goes" without you giving it gas.
If the clutch mechanism is rusted it may well not be disengaging properly.
post #6 of 8 Old 06-12-2019, 12:47 PM
Thebigeasy05

Might be time for a new clutch

Hi Kevaug, so the part you have in the picture is the clutch slave cylinder. I have two theories from working on Dodges with slave cylinders just like that one. These are my theories in no particular order of likelihood....

1) The friction material on the clutch disc is so worn that it has driven the slave cylinder out of tolerance. Think of it like a one sided wheel cylinder, inside the bell housing is a rubber boot/diaphragm and a shaft sticking out through it. If it is extended too far, it will break the seals and leak. When the clutch wears far enough, it can cause unusual behavior from the transmission. I currently have a 95 Dakota 2.5 with the AX-15 5 speed. When that clutch went, I had to float 2nd gear. After replacing the clutch, it was right as rain. In this case, you'd need to replace the clutch anyways, as the disc has undoubtedly been contaminated with brake fluid.
2) The slave cylinder has just taken a crap, it happens, especially if it is older. If it has taken a crap, then again, Id replace at the minimum the clutch disc, because as stated in the first scenario the clutch disc has been contaminated with brake fluid. I have also had this happen to me on a 94 Dodge Dakota with the AX-15 5 Speed.

Now I am assuming your truck has the NV3500. Good trans, holds up very well. As far as the idle, are you getting a check engine light? 2004 is OBD2, and if anything electric like your idle motor is bad, that should be throwing a check engine light. If you have no check engine light, you really should investigate the slave cylinder first. Don't forget to check your brake fluid, I am not sure on that year, but my 15 Dart pulls fluid from the brake master cylinder reservoir for the clutch system, but my dakota's had their own. If you do have a check engine light, run it to an auto parts store like Autozone, O'Reillys, or whatnot that will do the check engine light test for free. Ask them what the P code is, that will tell you a much broader picture than them just saying issue with this part. The P code will help you troubleshoot. Hope this helps!
post #7 of 8 Old 06-12-2019, 10:11 PM
guyonearth

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
There are lots of reasons a clutch might not be working, all of which require pulling it and inspecting the components. Slave cylinders take a beating and should be replaced as a matter of course if you're working on the clutch. I've seen broken and bent fingers on a lot of pulled clutches, as well as weak and broken springs. All of these things will make it impossible to fully disengage the clutch, as will a slave cylinder that's leaking badly. If your pilot bearing is worn out (or just plain disintegrated, which I've also seen), you'll have issues with jumping gears or hard shifting.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-13-2019, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
kevaug

(Thread Starter)
Thank you all for the great replies.

Yes the truck has been shifting much harder than normal.

This is the 2nd clutch in the truck. I use it for snowplowing. The first clutch went in Jan 2011
with 50K miles. The truck has 90K miles now.

The clutch system has its own separate master cylinder to feed the slave.

The truck is throwing no codes in my opinion. I can kind of generate a code (P0068) if I keep the
truck in gear too long when coming to a stop and it starts to shake and almost stall. I do this to avoid the 3000 rpm wind on the engine as it rolls in neutral. Hence I say its not a true code as I make it happen when I subject the truck to that driving condition.
If I drive normally and put up with the 3000 rpms it generally does not set that code.

So is it just coincidence this started happening after hitting the deep flash flood puddle or can water hitting the slave be the reason its leaking/damaged?

I am out of ideas. I put new plugs in. tested IAC, MAP & TPS - all seem good. Even replaced all those and no change. Compression good all around 130 psi. Vacuum good 19.5 inHg, and did a vacuum smoke test which indicated no leaks. Also removed and cleaned TB and put new gasket in. So it seems this slave should be my next area to focus on then.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in