Sea Foam Instructions - Page 2 - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
Closed Thread

post #21 of 39 Old 02-22-2009, 09:48 PM
Barbarossa13

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I did my truck(64k) and didn't get that much smoke. Also did it on my daily driver, 97 Jetta with 210k and it looked like the sucker was on fire there was so much smoke! It was pretty entertaining! Both rigs seem to run smoother though! I dumped it in the oil and the only difference I noticed was thinner oil. As for the breather hose irelandshemi, it's off the Brake booster, the big black circle thing on the drivers side of the engine bay. It runs to the throttle body. Disconnect that at the Brake booster so the seafoam will be sucked into the TB. It'll run but once you start to suck the seafoam in the engine will want to die. A lot easier if you have someone to rev the engine. Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2005 Ram 1500 QC Hemi Laramie, 4'' Rancho Lift, 18'' Amp Wheels, 35'' Dynapro Hankook Tires, Dual Borla Exhaust, Airaid MIT, Power Wire, 2 10'' Rockford Fosgate Subs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 39 Old 02-22-2009, 09:54 PM
Ramhemi03

Is this stuff just snake oil ???

2003 rc/sb

800 rpm idle and 6800 rpm redline..B&G tuned.

Inertia Motorsports Stroker.

6.1 intake
post #23 of 39 Old 02-22-2009, 10:33 PM
irelandshemi

alright yeah i deffinately want to do it even if it is just for the smoke effect, so have someone rev it while it sucks it up and then as soon as its done cut the engine and let it sit for 7 minutes and then just fire it back up? is there anything can really mess up with this?

Black Truck Club #969
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 39 Old 02-22-2009, 10:36 PM
snopro
HOTROD

Ive never heard of this stuff untill i joined the site. I might give it a try next time i'm getting ready to change my oil. Where would I find this stuff.. I normally go to auto zone. would the carry it?

2003 RAM 1500 SLT QC/SB 4.7L 4WD

Gibson headers,Rancho shocks,K&N CIA,SI/DO FM super 40, highflow cat, line x bed/rails, brushguard, Posi outback, lockers up front, Fitch fuel catylast, 315/70/R17s on stock PC rims,Leveling kit,Fender flares,SC, E-Fan, 68.5MM TB, Powerwire, SRT-10 pillar, Tranny temp guage, H/O cams

Dodgetalk.com 287 Enthusiast Member #274
Mineral Grey truck Member #62
4WD club member #30

Future Mods
Underdrive pulley, 4:10 gears, E-cutout, 34/35 gallon fuel tank
post #25 of 39 Old 02-22-2009, 10:38 PM
irelandshemi

i heard that i can get it there or like advanced, i guess alotta places carry it just never used it but after reading this im gunna

Black Truck Club #969
post #26 of 39 Old 02-22-2009, 11:00 PM
angusdevil
They call me Radio

Send a message via AIM to angusdevil
you don't have to rev the engine to get it to suck in, there is more than enough pressure to suck it all up.

1973 RCLB Stroker SB
REBUILD BLOG - radio1973dodge.blogspot.com
- Longtravel suspension still being built, Grabber 35" MT's, Method Wheels, 4.10's.
- Custom dash/gauge cluster, Corbeau seats, dual electric fans, most of the wiring replaced, 7" HID's, lots of other flashy and bright lights
- Fuel cell, aluminum rad, rear tranny cooler, front and rear tube bumpers, cut rear rockers and cage work ready to get started on.

post #27 of 39 Old 02-22-2009, 11:45 PM
bob1340

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage
I really am not excited about pouring a quantity of liquid, this stuff is liquid correct?, into my intake rapidly with the engine running. If you have never heard of Hydro Lock you need to look it up. Liquids, whether it is milk, water, baby pee, or seafoam does not compress. I can see using a pump spray bottle and spraying it in slowly, but sucking a pint up with the brake vacuum hose sounds nutz. Besides, the brake vacuum hose is not going to disperse it evenly. I would never use the stuff, but if I did it'd be sprayed into the intake.

2015 2500 Mega 4X4 6.4 Hemi
post #28 of 39 Old 02-22-2009, 11:52 PM
bob1340

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage
BTW If you look at all those smoke belching videos on you tube remember, that smoke is being generated in the exhaust pipe, not in the combustion chamber. People get all excited about seeing a bunch of smoke coming out the tail pipe thinking the combustion chambers are being cleaned out. LOL Pull the exhaust pipe off at the exhaust manifold and see how long smoke comes out!

2015 2500 Mega 4X4 6.4 Hemi
post #29 of 39 Old 02-23-2009, 04:06 AM
mark896

I absolutely love this stuff and have seen it used on many different forums, including the Z06 forum I'm on now. Here's how I do it:

I purchase 3 cans.

I put 1 full can in a full gas tank and run it nearly as close to empty as possible without damaging anything.

I put 1 full can in the crankcase with your oil. Run it for 100 miles then change the oil.

I use last can in the method described above (slowly into the intake until it stalls, wait 15 minutes, then smoke out the neighborhood). If you've got a lot of gunk on your piston tops, intake valves, injectors, it will clean all of that.

I hate 1-hit wonders (if you will) in the automotive industry, but I've simply heard too much good about this product over the years and it really does work.

Hope this helps.

Mark

Mark
'07 Electric Blue Ram 1500, QC, 5.7L, 4x4
post #30 of 39 Old 02-23-2009, 05:14 AM
asleepz

There's no way in hell I'd drive anywhere with that stuff in my oil. Not even if it was just a little, let alone a full can. If you've ever felt it, it has no lubricating ability at all.

Screw that......

07 Ram QC 4.7L
5% Tint all around
FM40 dumped

2" shackles and stereo system coming soon.
post #31 of 39 Old 02-23-2009, 05:47 AM
mark896

Quote:
Originally Posted by asleepz View Post
There's no way in hell I'd drive anywhere with that stuff in my oil. Not even if it was just a little, let alone a full can. If you've ever felt it, it has no lubricating ability at all.

Screw that......
I believe the purpose is to de-gunk and break up build-up. Not lubricate..

Mark
post #32 of 39 Old 02-23-2009, 05:54 AM
NHHEMI

To those knocking Seafoam. If you don't know what it is or have never used it don't knock it and call it crap and the like. The stuff flat out works! It is a 100% petroleum product and it is 100% safe to be used in your gas, crankcase, and sucked in via a vacuum source to clean the combustion chamber. It actually does work and work well. I have used it a ton of times including in the crankcase to remove moisture as well as to free up sticking lifters. It works great and is absolutely safe to use in your oil.

3 comments on some things I have seen posted...

1 - perform this proceedure( ie; vacuum line introduction )with the engine at full operating temperature. Do not do it on a cold or even warm engine. Make sure the engine is fully warmed up before starting.

2 - you do not pour it in( allow it to get sucked in )to the vacuum source rapidly. Rather it is poured in slowly and just a little at a time. If you dump it in you kill the engine and could hydrolock it. However, done slowly you will be fine.

3 - DO NOT REV THE ENGINE CONSTANTLY WHILE POURING IT IN!!!!!! All this does is burn it off before it can do any good. Pour it just fast enough that you don't kill the engine. If the engine starts to bog down stop pouring until it comes back. It will run rough and sputter while you are pouring but if poured at the correct rate the engine does not die or need to be rev'ved all the time.

OOPS, forgot there is one other thing. You only use 1/3-1/2 can through the vacuum line. No need to do more. Even the mfg says this is the preferred amount.

2011 Jeep Patriot
"Latitude"
4WD 2.4L
Royal Purple #1

Last edited by NHHEMI; 02-23-2009 at 06:00 AM.
post #33 of 39 Old 02-23-2009, 05:55 AM
mark896

Thank you!!

Mark
post #34 of 39 Old 02-23-2009, 06:14 AM
MikeHTally
Got 2 Hemis

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by angusdevil View Post
you don't have to rev the engine to get it to suck in, there is more than enough pressure to suck it all up.
I wonder if you have a vacuum problem somewhere? My Ram had to be revved up quite a bit to keep it from stalling. We kept it around 1K to prevent stalling.
post #35 of 39 Old 02-23-2009, 06:15 AM
asleepz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark896 View Post
I believe the purpose is to de-gunk and break up build-up. Not lubricate..
That's fine and dandy but where ever that stuff is in your crankcase is where oil isn't

07 Ram QC 4.7L
5% Tint all around
FM40 dumped

2" shackles and stereo system coming soon.
post #36 of 39 Old 02-23-2009, 06:47 AM
NJDodger
Lets go DEVILS!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to NJDodger
If you do regular oil and filter changes with quality products there should be no need to use this stuff in the oil. I've torn down my old VW engine (130K miles after I crashed the head) in which I've used Mobil 1 from the time i bought it.

I took the oil pan off to change a leaky gasket and there was no buildup on anything. If anything maybe dump some auto trans fluid into the oil for a few miles for the added detergents in it.

As for this stuff being snake oil I can say it does seem to do something. I bought an old jeep (XJ) at a police auction. It only had 49K miles but a lot of hours on it and it idled like crap. I dumped in the Sea Foam through vacuum lines on the intake and after a huge cloud of smoke the thing idled like a dream.

2006 Dodge Ram

post #37 of 39 Old 02-23-2009, 06:52 AM
VengefulHemi
Rollin On 4:56's

I used it on my 05/Hemi a few times with never alot of smoke, but then again, I only use shell93 oct since I had the truck. But when I did it to wifey's 03/Accord(always uses shiz gas), it was like getting gased from a smoke shell at a riot! I have neighbors across from me who I hate, so I purposely wait until the wind is strong, it's blowing toward their house, and they have the garage door open ! They have had the balls to approach me, but I always say "i'm maintaining my vehicles and I can't control the weather so F**K OFF"!!! Most of all, the seafoam really makes a difference. Just put the vaccum line in, start the truck, let it take in as much as it does, wait 10 min and start her up. Whatever is left, pour in the gas tank. Thats all.

05/Hemi/QC/FlameRed/2WD

Exterior Mods: Willmore Quad Length Nerfs(colormatched)/Debaged/SilverStars-in Fogs/Extang BlackMax Tonneau-Red/Color Matched Handles,Mirrors,Cowl,Antenna Thingy/Recon Smoked Rooflights(Colormatched-Red)
SRT10(Mopar) Hood/Bumpers-F&R(powdercoated-colormatched)/Blackedout(completely)Headlights(500deg paint&clearcoat)/ HID's(4300k)/tctwg(a.k.a.-Tim)Wiring Harness

Tires: Toyo Proxes ST 11's(Superior Traction, but too wimpy looking) I want to trade for aggressive looking ones

Suspension Mods: Leveled(2.5" Daystar Coil Spacers)

Drivetrain Mods: 4:56 Gears

Engine Mods: Jetstream Scoop/PowerWire/Homebrew Intake/SI-DO Exhaust w/Flomaster Hemi Muffler(no resonators)/Flashpaq 3815/DMH E-Cutout/Black Magic 180 Extreme E-Fan/180 T-Stat

Interior Mods: Covercraft Sunshade

Red Truck Club Member #230
post #38 of 39 Old 02-23-2009, 08:52 AM
schawks73
Very Niiiice! :)

Im going to do this with my step-brothers newly acquired 98 jeep limited with 170k+ miles on it... its gonna be NUTZ lol

also my GF has a chrysler concord 2000 year and it has 120+k on it, that should be fun too

-David

SOLD

2005 1500 Quad Cab 287ci (4.7L) Flame Red 2wd SLT

*EXTERIOR* Mods - Chrome Bull Bar // 2x Hella 500's in Bull Bar w/ 8000k HIDs, 4x Hella 500's in "Behind the grill light bar" w/ 150w Hella bulbs // Foglights (w/ 3500k HIDs) // Cleared Headlights (w/ 8000k HIDs) // eBay Fender Flares (painted to match) // Billit grill inserts // Chrome covers on side mirrors and door/tailgate handles // Stubby antenna // SS Ramhead 3rd breaklight cover // 2.5" Daystar Coil Spacers //275/60/20 Cooper Zeon LTZ// 20" Chrome Helo Maxx 6's // Bilstein Heavy Duty Shocks
*PERFORMANCE* Mods - AIRRAM Intake // JET STREAM scoop // Powerwire // Magnaflow SI/DO (45* behind wheels) // Auburn LSD // Motive 4.56's // Gibson shorties
*INTERIOR* Mods - Red/Black Platic Ram floor mats // DEI Window Modules // Audiovox Presteige Alarm system w/ mini Viper horn (under dash)
*NOISE* Mods - Kong 4 horn Train horn kit from Siege Engineering // Hot box w/ 10" Alpine Type R // Sony 750w sub Amp // Alpine CDA-9885 H/U // Crunch PZi 175.4 // COGA PA system // Lanzar OPTITW 1" titanium tweeters (in dash) // Rewired all door speakers with 14g wire // Soundwave 6.5" Midrange Door Speakers (all 4 doors)
post #39 of 39 Old 02-23-2009, 10:06 AM
North

I once tried seafoam, a lot of smoke and no noticeable changes with the vehicle (2001 Olds Alero 145000 Miles on engine).
Would I use seafoam again? No
But I maintenance my vehicles often...
BTW
I poured the stuff in the gas tank and through the vacuum line. I would suggest that an oil change should be done promptly after using the product.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in