2016 Grand Caravan 3.6L Oil Capacity - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
Notices

post #1 of 16 Old 06-28-2019, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Mapper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question 2016 Grand Caravan 3.6L Oil Capacity

I purchased a used 2016 Grand Caravan 3.6L FF. The owners manual says it takes 6 quarts. I put in 6 quarts at the first change and it show over full. i put in 5 quarts at the next change and it is right at the top of the safe mark. I have verified it has the correct dipstick and the van was level each time.
What is going on?
Quote Quick Reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 06-29-2019, 11:50 AM
guyonearth

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Are you checking it after you've run the engine and filled the filter and passages? 6 quarts is correct.
post #3 of 16 Old 06-29-2019, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Mapper

(Thread Starter)
Yes, after over 3000 miles it still shows full with 5 quarts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 06-29-2019, 05:52 PM
guyonearth

Check your dipstick to see if the cap part is loose. It's a long shot, but I've seen where when some dipsticks get pushed down hard the metal rod is actually pushed farther down through the part that caps the tube, giving a false reading.
post #5 of 16 Old 07-02-2019, 05:47 PM
Snakeyjake

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You did not specify that you changed your oil filter during your first oil change. If you did not, then 6 quarts is too much as the existing oil filter will remain ful and the oil stick will indicate overfull. Just a thought.
post #6 of 16 Old 07-02-2019, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Mapper

(Thread Starter)
The top of the dipstick is solid plastic and the dipstick goes into it and is secured by a roll pin, everything looks fine.
I did not thing to mention that I changed the filter as I change it every time I change the oil.
Still at a loss. Thanks for the suggestions so far.
post #7 of 16 Old 07-02-2019, 09:39 PM
Snakeyjake

On the off chance that your engine has the wrong dipstick, maybe you can check the part number. I looked it up online and came up with Dipstick - Mopar (5184013AI). Again, just a thought. Good luck.
post #8 of 16 Old 07-03-2019, 06:34 AM
Rammin'

It's also possible that someone bashed the oil pan, and replaced it with the wrong one, or a cheap knock off that isn't built the same...
post #9 of 16 Old 07-07-2019, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Mapper

(Thread Starter)
Part number on dipstick matches.
I swapped dipsticks with my daughters van and got the same reading on each van with both dipsticks. Hers read higher, they put 6 quarts in hers. With six quarts it goes to the bottom of the bend in the stick (which is far above the top of the safe range), with five to goes to the top of the safe mark.
Manual states: "Maintain the oil level between the MIN and MAX markings on the dipstick. Adding one quart of oil when the reading is at
the MIN mark will result in a MAX reading on these engines.
CAUTION! Overfilling or underfilling will cause oil aeration, or loss of oil pressure. This could damage your engine."
post #10 of 16 Old 07-10-2019, 09:42 AM
Snakeyjake

Is it possible you are using liter cans of oil rather than quarts?
post #11 of 16 Old 07-12-2019, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Mapper

(Thread Starter)
They are quarts.
post #12 of 16 Old 07-12-2019, 05:12 PM
Snakeyjake

I found this little tidbit

The service manual recommends that you loosen or remove the oil filter cap before draining the oil to allow the old oil from the oil filter cavity to drain down to the sump. If you don't remove the oil filter cap before draining the old oil, all of the old oil will not be removed from the engine
post #13 of 16 Old 07-16-2019, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Mapper

(Thread Starter)
I removed the cap after I started draining the oil, while it had just started draining. There was no oil in the oil filter cavity when I removed the filter. I let the oil drain until it was at a drip. It looks like oil would run out if the cap was loosened or removed if there was oil in the cavity. At the least if there was oil in the cavity it would make a big mess when removing the filter.
I can try it next time I change oil but it will probably be close to a year from now unless we take a long unplanned trip.
post #14 of 16 Old 08-10-2019, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Mapper

(Thread Starter)
I do not see how to start a new subject. I am trying to reinstall the insides of the passenger rear door after replacing the power lock solenoid. I cannot get it back in and I seem to have lost a piece off of the window track or guide where the top snaps into a slot. I cannot find the part to see if a new one has what I lost.
post #15 of 16 Old 08-10-2019, 09:32 PM
guyonearth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapper View Post
I do not see how to start a new subject. I am trying to reinstall the insides of the passenger rear door after replacing the power lock solenoid. I cannot get it back in and I seem to have lost a piece off of the window track or guide where the top snaps into a slot. I cannot find the part to see if a new one has what I lost.
In the light gray area above the thread you can select the category this thread is in (Mopar Vehicle Talk). Once there, you will see a button at the top left to start a new thread.

You need to specify year, make, model of what you're working on, before anyone can really help you.
post #16 of 16 Old 08-11-2019, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
Mapper

(Thread Starter)
Sorry, I was a bit frazzled yesterday. It is a 2016 Grand Caravan SXT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in