Help 2001 5.2L Missing; Backfiring; etc. - Page 2 - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
Closed Thread

post #21 of 36 Old 10-13-2008, 12:42 PM
gramol

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
yes .........a snap on brick(mt2500) or newer can set cam sync.....just follow the directions......you'll find it under functional tests....if i remember right...............out of sync distributer won't cause a cylinder specific missfire..........you're looking at compression test or/and leakdown test........personally i would be pulling the valve cover for that bank.............look for a broken valve spring..............if it is, yes it can be changed without removing the head...........i use shop air through a compression tester(with the valve removed) to fill the cylinder with 100-140 psi..........that keeps the valve from dropping into the cylinder...........then just remove the rocker,keepers,broken spring.........then just put the new spring in and put it back together...............as long as the valve isn't bent and the seat is still good, you'll be back in business........good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 36 Old 10-13-2008, 01:06 PM
hemimech

When you set the injector sync you want to have it as close to 0 degrees as possible (at least that is how it is displayed on a DRBIII) engine needs to be fully warm & it’s set at idle. Gramol is correct, out of sync injector timing won’t typically cause a single cylinder misfire. But if cylinder 7 is a bit low on compression it would be the first to show a problem if fuel was arriving too late (as in as the intake valve is shutting). Leak down check with a gage is a more informative test than a compression test. Leak down will allow you to see how bad cylinder 7 is percentage wise. LD test also allows you to distinguish between bad intake or exhaust valves and piston rings by monitoring the pressure that escapes thru the exhaust & intake & crankcase.
post #23 of 36 Old 10-13-2008, 01:13 PM
MeenGreen5.2

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
when cold, does the truck feel like its bogging down while driving? if so, my 5.2 does the same thing... food for thought

2010 dodge ram 5.7 sport
deep water blue pearl
BLUE
24"verde rims
stock

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BLUE TRUCK CLUB MEMBER #249
Trucks and Guns member #164
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 36 Old 10-13-2008, 03:26 PM
DODGEPICKUP

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
weak coil will cause all that . check primary , secondary resisdance . if not that maybe dis is off a tooth or two . has it ever been removed . set engine to TDC on #1 and see if dis rotor is pointing to number 1 wire . are your missfire on opposite bank's . 7 missfires ,then lets say 4 missfire's . opposite bank . then it more likely ignition . the odd's having two blown head gasket's or two bad head's . could be carbon build-up from a leaking plenum . just a guesstament

1999 RAM 1500SPORT QC 4X4 5.9 3.55's grrrr
360 MAGNUM POWER 165,000 MILES DYNOED 230/290 ON 35'S
1.7 CRANE ROLLER ROCKERS
DIY CUT,PORTED,EPOXY FILLED KEGGER/ALUMINUM PLENUM PLATE,53MM THROTTLE BODY
JACOBS PRO STREET CD IGNITION
BOSCH DESIGN 3'S 24LBS VETTE INJECTORS
MOPAR P DOUG THORLEY TRI-Y'S
TAYLOR 8.2 THUNDERVOLT WIRE'S
EBC ROTORS N PADS,RUSSELL SS BRAKE HOSES
MARCH UNDERDRIVE CRANK PULLEY
1 TON X-OVER STEERING
DT PRO-FAB TRAC BAR
HELL BENT STEEL 2IN SPACER/SKJ LCA
WINNDEKAR/DSS STEERING BRACE
post #25 of 36 Old 10-13-2008, 06:49 PM
gramol

hey dodgepickup, that's only if he has it in reverse with the laft signal on(but the lights off)..............he also has to have to radio set to 94.3 fm or 88.7 am................that's if we're into "guesstaments"
post #26 of 36 Old 10-13-2008, 07:33 PM
DODGEPICKUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramol View Post
hey dodgepickup, that's only if he has it in reverse with the laft signal on(but the lights off)..............he also has to have to radio set to 94.3 fm or 88.7 am................that's if we're into "guesstaments"
guesstament is all we can give with touching the truck ourself's . as for all the other blahblahblah 99.9% of the time a missfire is related to the ignition . coil , plug wire ect..... as far as fuel sync his truck was missfiring b4 he turned the dis .

1.7 CRANE ROLLER ROCKERS
1 TON X-OVER STEERING
DT PRO-FAB TRAC BAR
post #27 of 36 Old 10-15-2008, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
hemigoat2003

(Thread Starter)
My mechanic did a compression test on all 8 cylinders. They seem to vary by way too much.

Driver's Side Bank:
1 - 120 lbs
3 - 90 lbs
5 - 90 lbs
7 - 122 lbs

Pass. Side Bank
2 - 90 lbs
4 - 90 lbs
6 - 120 lbs
8 - 120 lbs

Cylinder # 7, which is not firing at idle, has the most compression. Any ideas?

2001 Ram 1500 4x4 Laramie SLT
Reg. Cab - Short Bed
5.2L / Automatic
Magnaflow Muffler
Magnaflow High-Flow Cat
5.5" Fabtech Long Arm Lift
Fabtech Dual Front Shock Kit
Fabtech Dual Steering Stabilizer
Yukon 4.56 Gears Front and Rear

2007 Ram 3500 4x4 Laramie
Quad Cab-Dually
5.9L Cummins TD w/ 6 spd
AFE Stage II Pro Dry Cold Air
post #28 of 36 Old 10-15-2008, 07:57 PM
DODGEPICKUP

Those numder's could be the reason 4 running like crap but u have missed or atleast not posted everything u have checked . so i think u have jump way ahead of yourself . those numbers could be the result of cylinder wash due to the multi cyl miss u have . and the 1 code came up in a higher psi cyl . here's a list of the item's i would check if it were my truck . u have replaced
many item's in list but ill list them anyway

1.tune up plug's gapped correctly .wire's routed per TSB for your year
2.battery/charging low voltage at battery pcm freak's out
3.pvc and all hose's 4 crack's ,
4.ignition coil, crank-cam-map sensors ,TPS, IAC,upstream o2 all of which can be checked with a digital volt meter . most of these can be weak not completely dead and freak pcm out
5.throttle body remove from intake and cleaned. while its off shine light down intake and look for oil puddling may need a mirror . replace TB gasket torque 2 spec .
6.fuel system check leak's , psi ect.......
7.vaccum check at manifold with vac gauge .
8.compression check
9.leak down test

here's a link for item 7 and 8 http://www.myclassiccar.com/HowTo/re...ge/index.shtml

u can also try seafoam or mopar combustion chamber cleaner both have been reported to help . more so if item 5 find's oil in intake .

1.7 CRANE ROLLER ROCKERS
1 TON X-OVER STEERING
DT PRO-FAB TRAC BAR
post #29 of 36 Old 10-20-2008, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
hemigoat2003

(Thread Starter)
I've taken the truck to a different mechaninc. He says that for some reason, the PCM is leaning out my fuel by 40%, and changing up my timing, while the truck runs poorly. This causes it to starve for fuel, until it gets to wide open throttle. As soon as you hit wot, it overrides the "error", and smooths back out again. He checked my voltage, as well as my ground wires, and couldn't find any problems.

Here's what i've replaced to date:

Fuel Pump
1 - leaking injector
Map Sensor
TPS
IAC
Plugs / wires / cap / rotor / ign. coil
Down stream O2 Sensor

The problem is less consistant now, but still occurs on virtually every short trip. The only difference, is a longer span of smooth running, in between screw-ups. The truck just starves for fuel, until it practically dies. It has yet to fully die, but it comes really close. As soon as you hit WOT, it clears right up. The new mech. is checking into it, and hasn't given up yet, but I wouldn't mind some additional insight from the wise.

Do these trucks have a reputation for faulty PCM's?

Reg. Cab - Short Bed
5.2L / Automatic
Magnaflow Muffler
Magnaflow High-Flow Cat

Quad Cab-Dually
5.9L Cummins TD w/ 6 spd
post #30 of 36 Old 10-20-2008, 09:15 PM
hemimech

Ok now we are back to post #8. Look at the upstream O2 signal…is it switching rich to lean back and forth or is it just stuck rich. If its stuck rich then replace the sensor ( I’m not sure if you replaced it, post #1 list O2’s the rest only mention down stream.) When an O2 constantly sends out a rich(High) signal the controller responds over long term by backing off on the amount of fuel. Conversely O2 low(lean) will cause the controller to add fuel above and beyond the base calibration. If the sensor has been replaced and the problem persists its time to pin out the wiring harness. Possibly the upstream O2 wiring is shorted to ground or to power. The other things that can make the controller pull out fuel is a intake air temp sensor that is way out of range say its reading 200deg. F the controller will pull fuel to adapt to IAT. Also camshaft timing can affect the fuel adaptation. If the camshaft has jumped a tooth or two there will be a shortage of fresh air thus poor combustion. This condition would send the upstream O2 into rich territory until the problem is fixed. Jumped Camshaft timing can be checked with the cam signal vs. crankshaft & also the injector timing/sync.(unless someone has removed the distributor an reinstalled it a tooth or two to correct for a cam/crank sync fault in the past).
Attached Images
File Type: gif 2001BR5.2LO2system.gif (18.9 KB, 1 views)
post #31 of 36 Old 10-21-2008, 12:25 PM
DODGEPICKUP

glad to hear she running smoother but not perfect . pcm's in these truck's are not known to be faulty but they can take a crap . did u check the voltage at the battery ? voltage need's to be higher then 13.7 at the battery terminal's . pcm is voltage sensative and a good battery can still freak it out . is the cel still on ? if so is it a new code ? stay on the list eliminating each sensor , test , ect ......... with only 55k on motor it is highly unlikely mechanical . happy hunting

1.7 CRANE ROLLER ROCKERS
1 TON X-OVER STEERING
DT PRO-FAB TRAC BAR
post #32 of 36 Old 10-21-2008, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
hemigoat2003

(Thread Starter)
My mechanic found the upstream O2 Sensor to be faulty. It was reading way rich, which caused the pcm to back out all of the fuel. It seems to be just as hemimech suggested. She runs great now. I'll put some miles on her for a few days, and see what develops.

Thanks again for all yall's help. Hopefully this nailed the final problem.

Reg. Cab - Short Bed
5.2L / Automatic
Magnaflow Muffler
Magnaflow High-Flow Cat

Quad Cab-Dually
5.9L Cummins TD w/ 6 spd
post #33 of 36 Old 10-21-2008, 04:34 PM
DODGEPICKUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DODGEPICKUP View Post
what about up-stream o2 . that's the more important 02
NEVER got a reply back at post 16 . one post your checking injectors next you went to map sensor , could of been repaired 10 day's ago lol glad it's repaired

1.7 CRANE ROLLER ROCKERS
1 TON X-OVER STEERING
DT PRO-FAB TRAC BAR
post #34 of 36 Old 10-21-2008, 07:35 PM
hemimech

Thumbs up

Now maybe you can stop by this site for fun rather than pull your hair out! Hopefully all you need to buy for her now is fuel...lots of new parts, should be good for awhile.
post #35 of 36 Old 10-22-2008, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
hemigoat2003

(Thread Starter)
I've put about 100 miles on her since the fix, and so far so good. I guess we finaly got it. Thanks to hemimech, gramol, and dodgepickup, for going out of your way to help me out. I owe yall a cold one!

Reg. Cab - Short Bed
5.2L / Automatic
Magnaflow Muffler
Magnaflow High-Flow Cat

Quad Cab-Dually
5.9L Cummins TD w/ 6 spd
post #36 of 36 Old 10-25-2008, 08:13 PM
pastpilot

pastpilot

Check your wiring to make sure there is no crossfire between #5 an #7. They're right next to each other on the block and they also fire next to each in the ignition sequence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemigoat2003 View Post
I do know that the distributor has been rotated in an attempt to adjust timing. One of my buddies was trying to lend a hand when i first got the truck.

Any idea if a Snap ON Scantool has the capabilities to adjust injector timing? I have no idea what model it is.

I borrowed the Snap On scan tool this weekend. It shows cylinder # 7 to be missfiring constantly, during idle. As soon as i give it a little gas, the counter stops, but when it comes back to idle, #7 begins to missfire again. The engine responds well at wide open throttle, but tries to die during slow acceleration. Even with the engine sputtering and trying to die, #7 seems to run ok. I do get a random 2-3 missfires on any one or two of the other cylinders, during this sputtering stage. At idle, # 7 doesn't fire at all. I can take the plug wire off, and it makes no difference. I can feel the injector pulsing, and the wire has spark. The spark plug also sparks, so i'm at a loss.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in