DodgeTalk Forum banner

What protects your ram?

Status
Not open for further replies.

What protects your ram?

7K views 116 replies 64 participants last post by  Trailnut 
#1 ·
I'm wondering what kind of protection everyone uses for their ram. I don't know if I listed them all but i'm looking for something that works and isn't a price killer.

#2 ·
nothing works, alarms are good for nothing but a insurance deduction. If someone wants to jack your car or stereo an alarm isnt going to phase them. plus on dodges all you have to do to get into thebed or tailgate is to pop-off the lower black piece behind the handle and voila there are the connector rods for the latch and just like that your in. i disconnected mine and now im shaving them off so no handles forces them to smash a window which is messy.

#3 ·
I use both an alarm and the club. When I got the alarm, it spent a bit more for the starter kill and a pizzo alarm, plus a paging system. Got the power locks hooked up too.

So far my Ram didn't do a disappearing act!

#4 ·
I've also got an alarm.... but with a remote paging system. Once my alarm goes off, so does the pager. Once the pager goes off, the turds have between 15 and 30 seconds to get the hell out before I start shootin .40 cal's at them.

#5 ·
I just know I want something having a brand new lift, rims and tires on my truck and locking nuts don't do much! It just seems you can't stop people from getting in only from starting it. I do think my Alarm stoped my last truck from being stolen it was parked across the street in front of a field (EXACTLY were my other truck was stolen from) and at like 2 am my alarm goes off and I see about 5 people booking it down the street, only a scratch that buffed out but may of saved a theft.

#6 ·
Hey Mocho,

Where abouts in Edmonton do you live in? I live around the University area, and some of the people around here are not that trusting, plus in the last 2 years at the appartment I have been at, 3 or 4 cars were stolen, one of them a 2gen Ram (not mine).

I'm just curious.

#8 ·
I live in the west end about 2km from west edmonton mall. My family has had 3 trucks stolen from our house in the last 2 years, 96 1500, 01 2500 CTD, and 01 1500, it's crazy. Also an alarm is only good if your in range, like with my last truck my bro needed to move it so he got my spare key (it still sets off alarm) and starts it move it etc with alarm going off and about 1km away my remote is out of range and I can't even tell any of this is happening so my truck could of easily been stolen anytime I wasn't right near it.

#9 ·
my pitbull keeps mine safe and if he cant do it my Doberman will :evillaugh

#12 ·
Big Joe SS/T said:
the club is a joke and takes less then 30 seconds to remove.
Anything is better than nothing. We call it target hardening. If you have two vehicles that are identical sitting right next to each other, one has a club, the other doesn't, which do you think the turd is going to take?

I'll agree with you that there are plenty of other more practical options for protectiong your vehicle, but like I mentioned, it's better than nothing. Especially when you combine it with other systems such as an alarm, kill switch, pit bull, .40 cal :D

Bottom line is that there's nothing you can do to protect your truck 100%. If they want it, they're going to get it. All you can do is protect it the best you can.

#14 ·
Anyone know how much it cost depending where you go to shave the handles off you truck? I have been thinking about it for a while now! If you dont want to shave the handles off you truck you could always slow the trud down with some jimmi jammers...they are easy to install yourself and fairly cheap!

#15 ·
85'400B.B. said:
shave the handles takes away the first option and windows are too messy.
Folks, no disrespect here, but shaving handles is probably just going to attract more unwanted attention to your truck. To say that the windows are too messy is just silly. I've been a cop now for a little over 4 years. I'd say it's about a 50/30/20 split on how the turds get into your car, the 50 percent being busted windows, 30 being the flat head screw driver under the handle, and the 20 being actually cutting out the lock.

In all honesty, if they're trying to steal your truck, it's probably better that the bust the windows. Then all they have to do is roll down the other window and nobody's the wiser, where as if you've got a popped lock on your truck, well, that's a little harder to hide.

What I have found that works more times than not is keeping things of value out of your car. If you have a detatchable face CD player - REMOVE THE FACE. Don't leave your laptop, your DVD screens, your PS2's, etc, etc, etc in plain view. You're asking your truck to get broken into. If you have a garage to park in, PARK THERE. If you've got $20,000 worth of accessories poured into your truck and you live in a crap hole apartment complex, guess what - your rig is going to get broken into or stolen sooner or later.

Which brings up another issue. Wheel locks. Don't spend too much time on your wheel locks. Most of them are pretty easy to defeat and are good for keeping the local 12 year old turds in check. If the wheel locks can't be defeated, they'll just steal the truck. I'd rather loose my wheels than my whole truck, but that's just me.

Common sence is the best theft deterance. Anything that makes noise is a close second. After they jack your truck, LoJack is great, but it takes time to activate, and there's only a handfull of us (in Houston at least) that have the LoJack trackers in our car. An immobilization device is also good, as long as you're not close to the turd once the vehicle is immobilized.

Good luck with whatever you do, and I hope some of this helps someone out there. :gr_patrio

#16 ·
yea i know a vehicle with the club is less likely to get jacked but if its a professional car thief he will cut the steering wheel it self which is only like 3/8" steel and then pop the club out. if i ever get around to installing an alarm on my truck to get an insurance discount it will be wired to a relay that will trigger my train horns to pulse and with 10 gallons of air behind it at 175 psi i think it can make enough noise to make most people shit themselves.

#17 ·
Big Joe SS/T said:
yea i know a vehicle with the club is less likely to get jacked but if its a professional car thief he will cut the steering wheel it self which is only like 3/8" steel and then pop the club out. if i ever get around to installing an alarm on my truck to get an insurance discount it will be wired to a relay that will trigger my train horns to pulse and with 10 gallons of air behind it at 175 psi i think it can make enough noise to make most people shit themselves.
:thatfunny :thatfunny :thatfunny That's a great visual!

#18 ·
Some of us are not fortunate enough to park our rigs in garages but for all of us that live in complexes that are infested with the scum of the earth that steals cars for a living or a thrill every little thing helps....It is a really big problem in Phoenix and there seems that there is nothing getting done about it..In Phoenix its not only a matter of if your vehicle will get broken into...its when...and that is coming straight out of Phoenix's finest! If that is not an inspiration to do whatever you can then I dont know what is! All I know is that I am willing to try whatever possible to protect the 2nd most expensive investment that I will make in my life!

#21 ·
Big Joe SS/T said:
you know what else works is if you unbend a hanger and then slide it between the gap in the rear slider...you can usually hit the power lock switch pretty quickly
Lemme guess? You weren't always a sweet innocent truck guy were ya? :D ;)

#23 ·
Big Joe SS/T said:
no ive just locked my keys inside my truck more times then i can remember, even when i had a ram 50 i could get into it with out even tripping the alarm, remove my cd player and then close the door and lock it again and still have the alarm armed.
:gr_patrio

#24 ·
I wouldn't doubt it I put no trust in alarms, even though mine would go off if the door was opened when armed. I think i'm just going to go with a killswitch, because even if I did get an alarm it's not going to help and it won't drop my insurance :huh:

#25 ·
i get 10% off for an alarm which can pay itself off quick but i would have to add a brain and another remote to my keychain and i dont want to. the alarm on my ram 50 was funny because it was set to work off of the door pins...but... the door pins liked to stick in place so the alarm couldnt go off.

#26 ·
I ran a kill switch (toggle) to the trigger wire on my coil. It's doubt full the would-be car jacker would find were I hid it if my truck does ever get broken into.
The only way to get past it would be to pop the hood and use a jumper wire to disable the kill switch, or find the kill switch itself...and that's assuming the car jacker knows why it's not cranking up.
Either way would take atleast 5 minutes, and it only takes about 2 barks for my dogs to wake me up.
But like mentioned above, don't leave anything of value in plain sight.
I have limo tint (yeah, I know it's illegal) all the way around my truck, so other than the windshield (which 90% of the time has a sunshade behind it) their is no way to tell what's inside. And I don't advertise that I have a nice system in it by blasting it around the neighborhood.

Off topic: I would like to see someone try and steal my wife's car. That Jetta has a chip in the key that costs $85, plus a photo ID and title to get replaced because they have to get it from VW in Germany. I know because I accidentally put ours in the washer once. If the engine doesn't get a signal with-in 5 seconds, the key light on the dash comes on & the engine dies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.