91 dakota vibration - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
Notices

post #1 of 9 Old 06-29-2019, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Jrgarren88

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
91 dakota vibration

Hey everyone, I bought a 91 2wd 3.9 dakota with 67ΧΧΧ miles recently and I'm having some trouble out of it. 1st of let me start by saying I haven't had it long and it's not a daily driver so I've not fooled with it hardly at all. But what's going on is at 35-75 mph it has a hard vibration in the front end you can see it vibrating inside and also looking at the hood, and feel it bad in the steering wheel. If you let off the gas or put it neutral it completely goes away and acts the worse (in the sweet spot) while accelerating. Not sure what's going on and haven't found anthing on any site I've checked so far, so any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Quote Quick Reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-29-2019, 10:22 PM
RalphP

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I would check the "usual suspects" first ...

U joints, front and rear.

Motor mounts.

Transmission mounts.

RwP
post #3 of 9 Old 07-05-2019, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
Jrgarren88

(Thread Starter)
Checked the U joints, not thinking that's the problem. No clunking sound and very little play. It could possibly be it mounts, I'm going to check them better with some help from someone. When I checked them there was movement from gear to gear. Didn't see a whole lot doing a hard brake test. But didn't get in to it good. Thinking of taking the hood off and taking around the block a few times to get it to the right speed. Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 07-09-2019, 08:34 PM
John's Dakota
The mounts have a safety design that keeps them from moving a lot. If bad they will move quickly to their limited maximum and drop down when you let off. Do this stationary. Then try reverse to check the right side mount.
post #5 of 9 Old 07-09-2019, 09:23 PM
aircommuter

Well if it 2wd as you say then there aren’t any front u-joints, does it seem to be corresponding to engine speed rather than vehicle speed? Since it stops when you put it in neutral maybe because you let the engine slow down at the same time. We need some testing and reporting back on that first.
post #6 of 9 Old 07-10-2019, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
Jrgarren88

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by John's Dakota View Post
The mounts have a safety design that keeps them from moving a lot. If bad they will move quickly to their limited maximum and drop down when you let off. Do this stationary. Then try reverse to check the right side mount.
That's seems to be what it's doing when doing a hard brake in drive test. And as I said when I'm stationary and go from drive to reverse. I haven't done a hard brake test in reverse though.
post #7 of 9 Old 07-10-2019, 07:22 AM Thread Starter
Jrgarren88

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aircommuter View Post
Well if it 2wd as you say then there aren’t any front u-joints, does it seem to be corresponding to engine speed rather than vehicle speed? Since it stops when you put it in neutral maybe because you let the engine slow down at the same time. We need some testing and reporting back on that first.
Yes, to me it seems to be engine speed. Because like I said I could be driving and feel heavy vibration and let off the gas and there is no vibration, but as soon as get back in it then vibration is there.
post #8 of 9 Old 07-11-2019, 06:46 PM
RalphP

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircommuter View Post
There IS a U-joint on the front end of the driveshaft, known as the front U-joint.

RwP
post #9 of 9 Old 07-11-2019, 07:12 PM
aircommuter

Really! Read the the post it says the vibration is in the front end of the vehicle. The front ujoint is still on the rear driveshaft, not in the front end.
I still say to diagnose the vibration without having the vehicle to feel it yourself or myself we need to know if it is engine speed, driveshaft speed or wheel speed. This is how a diagnosis eliminates the possible components.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in