mylestone
Mylestone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Low voltage

I have a voltmeter in my CIG lighter and it reads 11.1 at idle and reving the engine with everything off! At the battery it get 13.9 everywhere. Inside I have trouble running the defrost blower and lights at the same time! Im getting 10.2 inside. But it starts fine. What did I miss?
Myles
Quote Quick Reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-03-2019, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
mylestone
Mylestone

Garage
(Thread Starter)
I cleaned and tightened all contacts but as usual I discovered another issue. While driving I noticed the fan speed increasing and decreasing I thought I missed a wire somewhere. I noticed the idle stalling so I disconnected the battery then reconected it and instead of fixing the stalling I got a racing engine! To the tune of 2500 rpm no matter what Did! I disconected the battery again and the racing engine stopped and it got a normal idle without stalling. Could it be the cpu?? I replaced it years ago with a rebuilt unit but the id tag on the cpu wasn't anywhere to be found. It came with a lifetime warrenty but where do I send it to? I cant read the receipts as the ink faded to nothing. Just like all lifetime reciepts do. Is it the cpu causing the voltage drop for all the assories? What next! HELP
MYLES
post #3 of 5 Old 03-04-2019, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
mylestone
Mylestone

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Newest issue I disconnected the battery to stop the 2500rpm idle it got after removing the
neg cable before to stop the stalling issue. It went back to a normal idle speed after that. But I'm still getting 14.7volts at the battery so my alternator works. But the CIG socket reads 10 volts at idle it does improve with rpm but not to the 14.8 I was getting. I disconnected the 3 cpu connectors and that didn't help but when it get home I'll spray the connectors with corrosion X to see if that helps. Any Ideas Alloro? New CPU. This one is 4 years old with a lifetime warrenty but the reciepts has faded to nothing readable. HELP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 07-10-2019, 11:22 AM
Mikey13
1973 Dodge B100

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Late reply but better late than...
I would assume that Dodge fixed this issue on newer models but...
On my 1973 B-100 the alternator does not put out enough current at low RPMs (mine set at 750 rpm) so I get a discharge
while idling and it gets worse if the headlights, blower motor... are on.
This was a know issue with many older Mopars,
Their are a few fixes for it including the use of a "one wire" GM or Nippondenso alternator.
Google "AMP gauges at the dash are troublesome" at mad electrical dot com.

If this is not your issue...
Try to measure a voltage drop (google "measuring DC voltage drop") across each mechanical connection on the circuit, the voltage drop will increase as the load on the circuit gets higher. A voltage drop will cause heat to build up at that connection which will cause the voltage drop to get worse over time.

Good Luck!
post #5 of 5 Old 07-11-2019, 05:58 PM
guyonearth

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Since you've confirmed that the alternator works you need too find where in the wiring the issue is. You might have a
partial short or a badly corroded connection somewhere in the circuit that is supplying your dash. You need to inspect the interior of the fusebox/power center carefully as well. Also, pulling battery cables while the car is running is a VERY bad idea, it can burn out your alternator very quickly. I doubt this is a PCM problem, as your alternator is supplying correct voltage.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in