DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Torsion bar adjustment and 315/70/17s

3K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  01off-road 
#1 ·
I have always heard people talk about adjusting the torsion bars to gain an inch or two on the front of their trucks. What does this entail and is it even advisable? If so, how do you do it? I have a 2001 Off-Road Sport. Also, would I get any rub or problems with the 315/70/17 BFG AT's? I have seen them on a similar truck, but I have heard conflicting stories in the forums about whether or not they fit without problems. I have 285/70/17 BFG MT's now, and they're great, but I wouldn't mind a little extra height out of a torsion bar adjustment and bigger tires. Picture of my truck attached.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I am pretty sure torsion bars are only part of an IFS setup, and are used in place of coil springs, so if you have a solid axle in the front and coils, you don't have this option.

Nice lookin truck!

#3 ·
Well if that's the case, does anybody know about the tires then?

#4 ·
The 315's will rub on the stock configuration and you will need about a 5+ inch lift (someone back me up here) to fit them nicely.

#5 ·
buy some 5" lift cois from superlift for only $150 and get a block or an AAL for the rear, oh and et a ptiman arm or whatevery a need for the front.

#6 ·
Ok, I KNOW I don't need a five inch lift. The tires are only an inch and a half bigger total than what I have now, I have plenty of room right now, and I have seen a truck with the same suspension and tires installed. I know other people have this combination, I'd like to know if anyone else that has this combo (meaning the 315/70/17's on an off-road equipped truck) has rubbing issues.

#7 ·
well I can tell you right now that you definitely don't need no 5 inch lift to run those tires, If you are gonna run them on the stock rims I would say that you shouldn't have any major problems. The off road versions come already 2 inches higher than just a standard 4x4, they may rub a little on the control arms at full lock but other than that I would say that you shouldn't have any problems.

#8 ·
Mateo84, I'm not sure about the torsion bar adjustment and what all it does to your truck to fit larger tires, but according to online conversion charts that tire is close to the equivelant of 35" tires (which BFG's website states a minimum of 4" lift). My tires (285/75/R16) is about the equivelant of 33's (32.8). Your tire comes in at 34.4. Like I said, I'm not sure what the torsion bar adjustment will do for putting larger tires on, but I think you will have rubbing issues with that larger size. Good luck with the tires.

Tire Conversion: http://www.onlineconversion.com/tire_size_conversion.htm

BFG Site: http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/assets/pdf/fittment.pdf

#9 ·
Just trying to throw out some resources you can use. If you think the tire will fit try it and see...and let me know if it does. I'd like to get some larger tires in the near future. With the sport package being higher it may be enough to fit. Good luck and let me know how it works out.

#10 ·
Yeah, I kinda meant the torsion bar adjustment and the tires as two separate questions, but thanks for the input. If anybody knows anything for sure about the tires, I'd still like some more info. because an off-road equipped truck is slightly different than a stock or aftermarket-lifted truck, and I know somebody out there is running this combination. And since I really don't know all that much about this subject, am I correct that only the third generation rams even have torsion bars?

#13 ·
You will need at the least a 2" coil spacer to run those tires with no rubbing during normal use and a bit more for no rubbing during off roading. I have the 2" spacers on my 2000 Off Road package and with 305 70-17's I have no rub anytime. But I tested 315's about a week ago and they will rub the control arm when locked left or right and definately will hit the inner fender if wheeling hard.

If you can deal with the rubbing, go for it.

#14 ·
I would agree with RAJ. I put 35x12.5 on my truck to begin with, I also have an off-road, but without the 2" spacer in the front it would have rubbed the inner fender well, and i just put 1/4" spacers on to prevent from rubbing the control arms. So since i didnt have the spacersin the front, I just put 33's on... I hope that answers your question... and by the way, it looks bad-a$$ with 35 on it

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.