DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2014 Journey Transmission Fill?

6K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  xyberz 
#1 ·
Can anyone please tell me where the transmission fluid gets filled in on this vehicle. I know it can't be filled thru the bottom when the pan is dropped and the filter replaced.

I just found out it doesn't have a dipstick like older vehicles and there's no marked cap where you would fill it. I do understand that transmission fluid draining and filling is normally done by the dealership but I want to add some Prolong transmission treatment into our vehicle. It only has about 24k miles on it but I can feel it thumping sometimes already, which I'm assuming is not good, especially if it keeps up over time. Our old 2006 Durango didn't have that problem at all.

If possible, a picture would be wonderful because the book that came with the vehicle has almost everything else pointed out in the engine bay, except that.

#2 ·
Chrysler does not recommend any additives whatsoever. If there is an issue with the transmission and you're still under warrantee I'd go back to the dealer. There may be software updates to download.

#3 ·
Found It

Ok, I finally found it after a little bit of searching. I'm sorry about the late response but I already added the Prolong already to the transmission.

*Disclaimer - I did this myself and I don't recommend anything that I did. What you decide to do yourself is your own personal decision and I will not be held liable for any damages that may occur.

Ok, now with that out of the way, let me tell you where the transmission fill pipe is at. I've included a couple of pictures for reference. It's located to the left of the airbox and down towards the bottom of the vehicle. It will be a little difficult to find at first but once you see it, you'll never forget where it's at. You can mainly only see the cap, which is just big enough to cover and seal the fill tube when you're first looking. Then once you find it, you'll look at an angle and see the actual tube itself. On top of the cap it says "FOR DEALER USE ONLY".

Now I've read that you can buy a dipstick that is normally found in vehicles if you wanna test the level yourself, like with older vehicles. They sell it specifically for his vehicle and it's usually about $50 or so.

I've poured the whole bottle into the fill tube as instructed on the label. Right after I poured it in, I started up my vehicle, made sure the parking brake was pressed down as far as I could without excess force, and then started shifting thru the gears to get the fluid mixing in. Within a minute or so, I noticed that the transmission started shifting smoother thru the F, N, & R gears. I then took a short trip to the local Walmart since I needed to pick something up. Right around the corner from our place there's a fairly long strip of straight road before hitting the next stoplight. Well almost immediately after the turn and straightening out, I punched the gas the throttle response was instantaneous. Before there was a slight delay unless I was in manual shift mode. The transmission seemed to smoothly transition thru the first couple of gears like butter as before you would kinda feel the shifts.

It's been well over a week now since I've poured in the Prolong and the transmission continues to feel nice and super smooth, as I'm assuming it should be. I honestly believe that even if the vehicle was brand spanking new, that it gives small kicks in the transmission especially when going from park to drive. Nothing that seemed abnormal as I don't expect super smooth unless it's maybe from a higher end luxury vehicle. Now I almost never feel any kicks of any sort when shifting thru any gear and while driving, the vehicle feels it has an easier time shifting itself whether going up or down.

So far, I have nothing but praises for this product and I'm in no way endorsing it. I just read A LOT of positive reviews of people using Prolong lubricants for decades and having vehicles running into the 100's of thousands of miles. Like 300-400k! So I feel a little better putting my trust into a product that's been time tested like this.

I will continue to update should anything arise but I am honestly doubting it'll be anytime soon considering that I won't be needing to bring in the vehicle for service till this baby hits 120k miles since it's not a service vehicle. But most likely I'll bring it in around 60K just to be sure because it's better to be safe than sorry. And if all looks well, I'll add another bottle of Prolong to the tranny to keep it going for a very long time. :rck:

Attachments

#4 ·
it the transmission overfilled now or did you remove some fluid before you put the additive in? the reason why i ask is that overfill is really bad for a transmission because it makes foam. without a indicator of trans fluid level you have no idea where you were or where you are at as far as level.

#5 ·
Yes, thank you for bringing that up. I had forgotten. Yes an equal amount was removed first. It's fairly easy to do with a couple of things. Just need to head to the hardware store and get some clear tubing and something like an injection baster and suck out the amount that is equivalent of the Prolong's fluid. Very simple solution to a simple problem.

Doesn't matter where the fluid level was at since nothing was ever done to it since it rolled off the factory line. Just gotta make sure it's the same as before assuming the factory did a good job filling to the correct amount.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.