DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

'04 Ram Brake Light Issue

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  lx1x 
#1 ·
On three different times, when parked, engine off, key out, doors closed, the brake lights remained on steady, with an intermittent flash and audible click about every fifteen seconds.

First time was at the dealership having new tires installed. Tech had applied the parking brake to hold the rear wheels from rotating. Once the parking brake was disengaged, the brake lights turned off.

Second time was parked on an incline with the parking brake applied. Truck was locked. Came out 30 minutes later, and brake lights were on with the intermittent flash and click. Started up, disengaged parking brake, and the brake lights turned off. I've since had the parking brake applied at the same location and the problem did present itself.

Third time was today. Truck was in the garage, turned off, key out, doors closed, but parking brake was not applied. Two hours later the wife yells down to interrupt the Bears game to tell me my brake lights were on. Same scenario, brake lights are on with an intermittent flash and audible click.

Has anyone else experienced this? Am I perhaps turning the ignition off with the brakes still applied and thus causing this? Could it be a programmed issue to provide indication of another problem?

See less See more
#3 ·
Wild guess but it possibly could be your hazard lights flashing, did you notice if the parking lights were also flashing at the same time, I had a problem where the parking lights and tail lights would start flashing all by themselves and the dealer had to replace the hazard warning switch on top of the steering column.

Bob

#4 ·
Gentleman said:
Wild guess but it possibly could be your hazard lights flashing, did you notice if the parking lights were also flashing at the same time, I had a problem where the parking lights and tail lights would start flashing all by themselves and the dealer had to replace the hazard warning switch on top of the steering column.

Bob
i had the same problem with my old suv (blazer). but no brake lights at all due to bad hazard switch.

#5 ·
Front hazards don't come on at all. It's stricly the rear brake lights, and not the third brake light either (just remembered that). Even when they flash, it's not an on-off-on again type of flash, but an on-dimmer but still on-on again type of flash.

#7 ·
Stop watching the Bears game? :rolleyes:

#8 ·
RTHemi2 said:
Stop watching the Bears game? :rolleyes:
I think you may have hit the nail on the head.

#9 ·
lx1x said:
check your brake light switch, make sure the wiring harnes and switch is secured.
Thanks. Good idea. I will check it tomorrow.

#10 ·
Mazz said:
Thanks. Good idea. I will check it tomorrow.
yer welcome.. i was just looking at the haynes repair manual i just got today and reading through the brakes section.. saw the brake light switch.. :IDEA:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.