DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beating a dead horse? Maybe...but...

621 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  sherdep 
#1 ·
It seems to me, from a combination of what I've read here and my own additional research, that the stock HEMI engine is not as mod-friendly as some might think. Not that there aren't a ton of mods readily available, but rather the apparent fact that most of them might do more harm than good without the proper computer tuning?

I have a brand new, completely stock '05 1500 QC with the HEMI (only 1100 miles so far), and the more I read about these "horror stories" about engines blowing up with only simple bolt-on intake and exhaust mods, the more nervous I get about changing ANYTHING.

I am not a mechanic, engineer, or anything of the like when it comes to engines, but I am somewhat technically inclined with electronics and electro-mechanics in my line of work. So, my questions are directed to some of the more savvy engine gurus out there (Dodge3471 and others who might have relevant experience).

Now, the point of all this clamoring about - In your opinion and experience, would adding a cold air intake and perhaps aftermarket exhaust seriously affect the long term life and longevity of an otherwise untouched HEMI? A final bit of food for thought is my driving habits, which tend to be somewhat agressive but not anything unresonable. I might open it up to WOT a few times a week and don't currently tow anything heavy either.

Thanks for reading this far :help: , looking forward to your responses.

Jeff

See less See more
#2 ·
My_First_Dodge said:
In your opinion and experience, would adding a cold air intake and perhaps aftermarket exhaust seriously affect the long term life and longevity of an otherwise untouched HEMI? Jeff
No. If you're that worried about it have your dealer do the work and keep everything under warranty. I really haven't heard too many of these horror stories you're referring to. Granted, there are a couple on here; people running too lean, or too much juice too often, yes that will affect you. CAI and an exhaust will only improve you gas mileage and make your truck more fun to drive.

#4 ·
I think the hemi is just as almost all newer vehicles. They are all computer controlled. So if you are looking to just bolt and go. Get an older truck. You will have to watch it on all the new ones. Also you can bolt and go if you are careful and do some research.

#5 ·
If it is Gas mileage you are worried about then I would suggest not to do many mods to the engine, Experience talking here .... I put a single Catback exhaust on and it seems to give me more Top end performance but made my mileage go down 1mpg and at 70mph (Before the 35" tires) Gave me alot of resonance in the cab.
I put a K&N Drop in filter instead of a CAI because some people have complained of noise it makes at WOT.
Where you should worry about engine problems is when you start changing out Cams and putting on superchargers or a turbo then leave that to the Pro's. IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.