DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anti-syphon device?

22K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  kenihemi 
#1 ·
How the heck can I tell if I have an anti-siphon device on my 2004 Ram 1500 Crew Cab? Can anyone tell me what I should be looking for? I went to purchase a locking gas cap today and the parts store "girl" laughed and said "you don't need one sir". I did not want to look any dumber then I was so I didn't ask her any more questions. Nothing like getting schooled by the parts chick! At least she wasn't hot.

#3 ·
Well... I dont know much about it but you could always try syphoning from it :-D lol... And in my opinion, she was wrong to say you dont need one... It'd still protect you from the people who may want to add some nice little items to your tank such as sugar (I hear the sugar thing is only a MYTH but still, who wants it in their tank?)

Now that i think more about it... You dont have to actualy syphon from it... Just stick a hose in your tank and blow into it and if you are making bubbles or anything, then I dont believe you have a anti-syphoning device... Someone correct me if i'm wrong..

Hope this helps!
-Jason

#5 ·
My 02 quadcab has such a device. My lawn mower ran out of gas so I thought I could just get some from the truck. No go, hose went in about 2 feet then stoped.

#6 ·
Only a suggestion, but too much has been said about problems with aftermarket locking gas caps throwing codes, etc. Your best bet is to get one directly from the parts department at your local dealership. It's only about $15-$20 and it's genuine Mopar so it's guaranteed to work.

Just a suggestion.

Steve

#7 ·
I'm not sure, but I think all modern vehicles have them. Most parts stores are selling locking caps faster than they can get them in. I'm surprised she told you not to buy one.

#8 ·
Thanks for all the remarks.
I agree with all of you. I'll be buying a locking cap Monday from the stealership. I still wonder what this device is and where is it located? In the neck of the tank as WkndDrnk suggested? I'm not about to go and see if I can siphon my own gas. I have been down that road...not so good.

#9 ·
well, you dont have to syphon.. just stick the hose down in the tank and see where it stops... or.. kind of visualize where is stops.... Instead of inhaling to syphon, just blow air into it and if it makes bubbles then that means the reverse can be done and the gas can be syphoned... This is my theory

#10 ·
Baystate Hemi said:
Only a suggestion, but too much has been said about problems with aftermarket locking gas caps throwing codes, etc. Your best bet is to get one directly from the parts department at your local dealership. It's only about $15-$20 and it's genuine Mopar so it's guaranteed to work.

Just a suggestion.

Steve
Almost all parts sold in a "genuine" dealer auto parts shop are not made by the associated company. For example, chrysler doesnt make their own electrical equipment on the cars (fuel injectors, sensors, etc.) Most are outsourced to a major company such as standard electronics, who produces OEM and aftermarket electrical parts (they are the same part but one is OEM because it came on the car)
So your genuine mopar fuel cap is probably made by Stant or another company.

#12 ·
When I first got my truck, it was loaded with regular and I had the jet stage 2 chip. The truck was pinging bad, so I went to my bud's house so he could siphon out the regular for his car.

No go. Hose could not get down to the gas.

Wound up putting in octane booster for that tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.