DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Idle "Fluttering"

4K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  06trxhemi 
#1 ·
Good Afternoon everyone...

On my previous truck (2004 RAM 1500 Q/C 4.7L) and now my current truck (2005 RAM 1500 R/C 4.7L) I get a weird "fluttering" of the engine RPM's when idling sometimes, I'm hoping someone else has seen this.

This only seems to happen right after I've been driving, like when I stop at a red light, the RPM's will dip, the truck even feels like it stumbles a bit, and then usually picks right back up (though it has died on me twice). To my dismay there is never a code set (was hoping this would help me track down the problem) and the problem is fairly intermittant... so until it actually quits running, I doubt there is much that can be done. On my previous truck I never could see the tachometer move when it felt like it was "stumbling", but I can on my new truck.

Anyone else seen something like this?

#2 ·
My '02 1500 4.7 does the same thing and same story. No codes or anything. Stop at a light and every once in a while the RPM's drop from 6-700 to 400 and stutters then comes right back up. So it goes back as far as the '02 models.

#3 ·
I'm not an expert on the 4.7L by any stretch, but I had a similar problem on my '01 5.9L. After much checking, it turned out to be a bad Idle Air Control motor. Its mounted to the throttle body and it controls how much air passes into the throttle body at idle. It will have a couple of wires connected to it (don't confuse it with the TPS sensor). Either that, or you are putting some crappy gas into it. Also check your air filter. Hope this will at least get you started.

#7 ·
Mine only does it once in a while if I don't let it warm up before I drive. I was thinking of bumping up the idle a hair to see what it'll do.

#9 ·
same here my 03 does it when its cold and has been driven about 100ft or so before i stop. at a stop sign or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.