DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

i think i am beginning to hate my 4.7

2K views 38 replies 20 participants last post by  Brudha 
#1 ·
i love my truck, how it looks, everything...but when i stomp on it it feels like im going fast, but i just dont think i am.my buddie has a 90 scion that has 100 hp...its a little ass coupe..but it was keeping up with me in a race..even the damn iforce 4.7 has 280 hp and 325 lbs of torque..chevys 4.8 i dunno im just..i love my truck i am so happy i have a dodge but sometimes i wish i had the chevy 4.8 in my truck or something becuase it feels like im putting so much money into getting more perforamnce when the reality is unless i supercharge it and or void my entire warantee i will never hang with a hemi.

am i just having a bad day or does anyone agree?

#2 ·
whats th specs on the 4.7

#3 · (Edited)
Just my $0.02 but a heavy, full size pickup truck with a 4.7 Ltr V8 is never going to be really fast.
It's too heavy and has the aerodynamics of a house.
A lot of the guys here who are into speed have cars that ARE fast, AirRam, BLACKWOLF, Slammed1, SUN RA KAT and the list goes on and on.
It's all about power to weight ratio at the start and after 60MPH aerodynamics start to play a bigger and bigger part in your velocity.
The guys that race, at the track of course, mention many times over that the driver makes a big difference, knowing how to get what power you have down and the sweet points to make your changes at.
So I would say yes your "having a bad day" but also need to review quite what you have a pickup truck for.

#4 ·
bad day sounds like it.. if your intension was speed/race from the beginning, you should have bought a sports car. you just having doubts what your truck can do is all.

you can't beat every vehicle out there. cheer up and be happy with what you have.

#5 ·
no i realize that..but when i hear hemi's beating cars and stuff it gets me all pissed..i got this 4.7 because my dad didnt want me with a hemi for my first truck..and ive actually never even ridden in a hemi in my entire life or driven one..ive driven an srt-10..and ive driven my dads v12 bmw so i know whats fast..i just wish my truck pulled itself better..i dont understand how dodge can only get 240 hp out of a 4.7 whwen toyota gets 285 out of it..i just want my truck to beat other trucks with no problem..like the chevy 4.8 and keep up with a 5.3 (not modded but stock maybe with exhaust)..and woop a f-150..i can keep up almost with a qc f-150 but not the ex cab..i dunno..my truck looks and sounds so much faster than it is..and its getting to me

#6 ·
rtes said:
Just my $0.02 but a heavy, full size pickup truck with a 4.7 Ltr V8 is never going to be really fast.
A lot of the guys who are into speed have cars that ARE fast, AirRam, BLACKWOLF, Slammed1 and the list goes on and on.
It's all about power to weight ratio at the start and after 60MPH aerodynamics start to play a bigger and bigger part in your velocity.
The guys that race, at the track of course, mention many times over that the driver makes a big difference, knowing how to get what power you have down and the sweet points to make your changes at.
So I would say yes your "having a bad day" but also need to review quite what you have a pickup truck for.
:stupid: that too.. :D

#7 ·
yeah your right rtes and lx1x..thanks..i just hope all the mods i am going to do (signature) will make a big difference

#8 ·
bradleykavin said:
no i realize that..but when i hear hemi's beating cars and stuff it gets me all pissed..i got this 4.7 because my dad didnt want me with a hemi for my first truck..and ive actually never even ridden in a hemi in my entire life or driven one..ive driven an srt-10..and ive driven my dads v12 bmw so i know whats fast..i just wish my truck pulled itself better..i dont understand how dodge can only get 240 hp out of a 4.7 whwen toyota gets 285 out of it..i just want my truck to beat other trucks with no problem..like the chevy 4.8 and keep up with a 5.3 (not modded but stock maybe with exhaust)..and woop a f-150..i can keep up almost with a qc f-150 but not the ex cab..i dunno..my truck looks and sounds so much faster than it is..and its getting to me
just borrow your dad's beemer and go for a spin and beat other cars.. you'll feel better after that. ;)

#10 ·
rtes said:
A lot of the guys who are into speed have cars that ARE fast, AirRam, BLACKWOLF, Slammed1 and the list goes on and on.

What he said. And just come to terms with the trucks limitations. Yes you could mod it to hell and back and spend huge cash to beat a Hemi. But would it be worth it? If you want to go fast talk to your dad about a sports car for your next ride.

#11 ·
I've had fast cars before I got my truck for Pulling trailers and lookin' good.

#12 ·
I think your just having a bad day. Your Truck is just that a Truck. Which means you can tow with it you can haul with it. You get to look good while your doing it. And on the side You get to beat on it a little bit and race a few cars Take some time and Just think about it And if you really think you want the extra HP and Torque than a Supercharger or some Nos would quickly remedy the problem.

:gr_patrio

#13 ·
yea..thanks for your support i just had a shitty day lol..i just want to be able to beat other trucks thats all lol..thank you again though to all of you

#14 ·
You just need to surf over to krcperformance.com and see what they've been doing to there naughtly little 4.7L becuase some of those are 1xxx horsepower motors. Try putting some more work in to the motor before you start looking at other brands for more power. You will continue running in to the same problem regardless. Put a little blood in to 'er bust some knucles while your wrench slips off a bolt and throw some cams in 'er with a blower then tell me what your little 4.7L does. Just think about it but theres more to be said about a built truck with power rather then bought power. The more time and work you put in to your truck I think the results are that much more rewarding when you blow the doors off someone or you flash some good numbers at the end of the track.

#15 ·
When im driving the PT now it just seems slow. Its really not, im just used to its power and how it drives. So that week i drive the Ram, after that week i drive the toyota. After that week i drive the Cougar.

That way all cars are happy and by the time the weeks over, its like a whole new experience in power with the other cars.

This helps me with my "thinking its slow" phases.

#16 ·
^^Good advice there

#17 ·
bradleykavin said:
yea..thanks for your support i just had a shitty day lol..i just want to be able to beat other trucks thats all lol..thank you again though to all of you[/QUOT

OK, so you've had your first vehicle for a while now with some experience under your belt. Now, save up some cash and get the HEMI you know you want and start playing with the big boys!

#18 ·
yea one day i'll get a hemi..it wasnt a matter of money really..the hemi option was less than like my navigation system..my dad just didnt think i needed that much power to start out with..he might have been right lol caus if i floor it from a dead stop since i installed my pw ive been doing small burn outs lol. In the end my truck has gotten faster and i know it..im just used to driving it..when my dad took it away for a month because of grades (i got a 3.3 gpa have to keep a 3.5) and i had to drive my moms shiiittty ass fuurrrdd explorer around..and i got my truck back it felt sooo fast..my friends say its fast too if i let them drive it..i have 2 friends with chevy 5.3s..and friend with a ford 5.4 and a friend with a hemi quad cab..and their all afraid to race me lol..so even though i know i would most likely loose to all of them (except the 5.4) its better of them being afraid and not trying to race me at all lol.....speaking of powerwire if you live in a 10000 degree desert thats the best mod ever..just cant wait for the 4.56's, torque converter, underdrive pulley and some headers..then maybe in my second year of college ill sell it and get a hemi..but my dad right now is thinking about buying an old ass charger thats all messed up..get it all fixed up and putting a 6.1 hemi it..he found out you can buy the 6.1 hemi for like 12 grand. then maybe ill drive that around lol

#19 ·
I agree I have a REGCAB SB 4X2 hemi

My wife has a 2002 QCSB 4X2 4.7

I feel like I am tied to a pole when I drive the 2002

#20 ·
bradleykavin said:
yea one day i'll get a hemi..it wasnt a matter of money really..

..but my dad right now is thinking about buying an old ass charger thats all messed up..get it all fixed up and putting a 6.1 hemi it..he found out you can buy the 6.1 hemi for like 12 grand. then maybe ill drive that around lol
Well, since you probably didn't earn a dollar to get what you got, you just sound like a spoiled little rich kid. Listen to your Dad.

#21 ·
my dad doesnt want me to work...i cant work anyway with football and school its impossible..but i have anything lowerthan 3.5 gpa i loose my truck..and i am extremely greatful for what i have and i love every ounce of my truck..i just want it to be faster..i think my day just sucked caus that ion raced me and won..but it ended up to be a friend of mines new car he got today..its an 04 with air intake and one of those big exhaust..he said it has like 240 hp v6 so i guess if he was keeping with me thats good..i envy you hemi guys though but one day when i have enough i'll buy myself the supercharger..that will be in like 2 years though lol but still..thanks

#22 ·
GEARS!!! cant beat it for the money and will not void your warranty

#23 ·
GEARS DONT VOID WARANTEE?!?!??1i mean i was told that it does but its a mod that dealers dont ask about or dont really find out about thats why i was gonna do it but HELL YEESSS..what about torque converter?

#24 ·
Bradley,

Dont be too envious of the HEMI... A Modded 4.7 CAN be one hell of an opponent for a HEMI... Just take your time and build your truck. Before you know it, You will have it setup JUST like you want it!

.....ALSO, Dude.. you have the greatest mod of all of us... You have CUSTOM BATMAN BADGES!!! How bad ass is that!???!?!?

#25 ·
And dude... I just looked at your gallery... You have one SICK looking truck man!!! Chin up!

#26 ·
ill ask again....what are the specs on the 4.7

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.