DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How much do our stock 20" rims weigh??

40K views 25 replies 15 participants last post by  Hemiango 
#1 ·
I had to change my tire about 6 months ago and i could barely pick my rim and tire up and put it into the back of my truck. I have the 20" polished aluminum rims and 275/60/r20 Goodyear tires. Im looking into 22" rims and they have to be lighter then these damn rims. I think the 22's i want weigh 43lbs a piece.

The weight and the wheel and tire together would be great if anyone has this info. Thanks in advance

BB

#2 ·
Can't help you on the bigger rims,
but stock chrome steel 16 inch 5 on 5.5 Ram wheels weigh 31 lbs each
painted 'spare tire' 16 inch Ram wheels weigh 29 lbs each.

Alcoa 16 x 8 inch wide forged aluminum Ram wheels weigh 19 lbs each,
and the Alcoa made Mickey Thompson forged aluminum wheels weigh 20 lbs.

I had load range E all steel belted Goodyear Wrangler HT tires on for awhile and the wheel and tire combination weighed 78 lbs.

When I switched to load range C aramid belted Bridgestone Dueler HL 245 75 R16 tires this dropped the combination weight to 46 lbs and I could definitely tell the difference in the pickup's ride.

#3 ·
Our stock polished 20's weigh just under 40lbs. I know what you mean about changing one, I just had to do that yesterday............. heavy sum-bitches!

#5 ·
rEdHeMiNwEdGe said:
when i had my 22's before i had the tires i weighed them and they are 41pounds and the stock 20inch chrome clad weigh 38pounds
bobby
Thanks this helps out alittle. And with a tire smaller by 2" the weight af both the 22" setup and 20" stockers should be pretty close to the same

#6 ·
I can't believe yal weighed your rims and tires.
Nothing better to do??
Well I guess that's all there is to do in New England and Delaware.

"Hey man, Lets go weight our tires."
"Dude, I just weighed my SPARE yesterday."
"Oh Yeah? Man I wish I thought of it first. Dag-Namit."

LOL

#7 ·
04'HemiDiamante said:
I can't believe yal weighed your rims and tires.
Nothing better to do??
Well I guess that's all there is to do in New England and Delaware.

"Dude, I just weighed my SPARE yesterday."
"Oh Yeah? Man I wish I thought of it first. Dag-Namit."

LOL
Thats pretty funny but its more like...

"I just weighed my front right wheel."
"its 3 ounces lighter than my front left"
"wtf am i gona do??"

#10 ·
I heard the stock 20" with tire was 92 pounds. The one time I had to change a tire, I had a hard time lifting it into the back. Even the big guy at the tire shop said, "oof!" when he first tried lifting it out of the bed.

Any 20+ inch forged wheel is going to be a lot lighter than these cast lunkers.

#11 ·
LMAO funny boys.... :thatfunny

Come on now, If I hear any of you complain about the weight of rims and tires Im gonna have to laugh at you really hard. I lugged my damn rims and tires up and down the stairs in my 2nd story apartment TWICE before I got them put on (dont ask! long story! lol). Me....female....5'7" and I managed...well cept for a few rubber rubs on my shins from rolling and lifting the tires and some indents on my arms from the rims but they went away in a day or two lmao!! :D
So no complaining! Unless you want me to laugh at you...lol

#12 ·
I forgot to mention... that one time I lifted the tire I was using my "weak" arm cuz the other one was busy with a load of concrete blocks...

#13 ·
:thatfunny lmao funny....

#14 ·
Barmats said:
I heard the stock 20" with tire was 92 pounds. The one time I had to change a tire, I had a hard time lifting it into the back. Even the big guy at the tire shop said, "oof!" when he first tried lifting it out of the bed.
I hear ya there.... it took 4 men to lift my tires and wheels up onto my truck on the lift when I had them put on LOL

#15 ·
That's a bunch of weight for sure. The stock 20's are nice looking, but heavy as can be. Had a chance to compare it with the stock 17" aluminum wheels, and there is a very noticable difference.

#16 ·
DodgeChick said:
LMAO funny boys.... :thatfunny

I managed...well cept for a few rubber rubs on my shins from rolling and lifting the tires and some indents on my arms from the rims.

You're prolly leaving out the part about the skid marks in your shorts! hehe :D

#17 ·
Nope, nope that was it. :)

#18 ·
well Dodge Chick, come heft my tire/wheel combination up onto my truck

the guy who mounted them at Discount Tire took a 5 minute break and came back with a back-brace on

160 lbs a tire/wheel

#19 ·
I wasnt talking combo....as neither were some of the other guys here. I already said it took 4 men to lift my combo.

#20 ·
Well, if you guys had some big crab Arms like me you wouldn't be complaining about how heavy they were.. :D :D :D :D :D :D
btw, there's no way in hell a 22inch is going to be lighter than your stock 20's. And odds are it won't be because they don't make racing rims in 22's unless you get some Le Mans style type rims. LOL and those are center single attachment rims.

#21 ·
#22 ·
I'm working on the crab arms but not quite there yet...

I know it depends on which 22" wheel you're comparing, but generally speaking, a forged aluminum wheel is going to be quite a bit lighter (and stronger) than a pressure-cast aluminum wheel of the same diameter. There was a post on DTW a while back where somebody had weighed their 20" wheel and found it to be quite a bit heavier than their new 22" forged wheel. If I can find it I'll post the link.

#23 ·
Barmats said:
I'm working on the crab arms but not quite there yet...

I know it depends on which 22" wheel you're comparing, but generally speaking, a forged aluminum wheel is going to be quite a bit lighter (and stronger) than a pressure-cast aluminum wheel of the same diameter. There was a post on DTW a while back where somebody had weighed their 20" wheel and found it to be quite a bit heavier than their new 22" forged wheel. If I can find it I'll post the link.
that would be great.. woohoo. i wonder if the weight of the 22inch rim would justify the weight of the tire.

#25 ·
Ya'll are whining like my lil brother! They aren't light but hey aren't all that heavy either. I have taken off all my wheel/tires at least a dozen times before. This was for putting on my drop kit, suspension adjustments, caliper painting, really good caliper cleaning, and general rotation. I'm not exactly small and weak though either. :D

KB

#26 ·
I just replaced the 20" Ram rims (the real ones, not the plastic insert ones) and they weighed in at about 39 pounds. My new 20' rims are about 43 pounds, and the dude at the rim shop told me that anything over 20" is very heavy and hard on brakes and wheel parts. Sooo... I stayed with 20s instead of 22s or 24s. My new ones are Status/Element (model 951) 20 X 9 with 305/50/20s, and I love them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.