DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Ram owner that has a couple of Q's

1K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  Saint 
#1 ·
Hi guys and gals,

New owner of a QC 4x4 laramie with all the "fixin's", she's got 1200 miles. I take the train to work so it will probably get 8k miles per year on it, my Tahoe I traded in was a 99 and had 40k miles on it.

Boy am I glad i found this site, have found tons of information. But I do have a few unanswered questions...

Those of you with AWD:
Everytime I go through a brushless car wash (2 times now) my AWD kicks into 4 wheel drive and the SERV 4WD light comes on. I shut it off and turn it back on and it engages 2WD again without a problem, I switch to 4WD and 2WD and no service light. Anyone have this problem?

I've not been able to get a straight answer out of the dealer (this dealer REALLY sucks). This dealer has been so bad I don't even want to back there again but I guess I have to for servicing and they have me over a barrell due to it's been 1.5 months and lowjack still isn't installed.

About the chrome clad wheels, anyone have durability issues with them? When I climb and look behind they see to be 2 piece, I wonder if they can be replaced with new claddings?

When I look at the rear wheelwell I see 2 bars that seem to hold the fender off of the suspension, might be because it's new but when I'm going over uneven terrain (just pulling into driveways) i get some creaking noises back there and I assume it's these bars.?

Otherwise I love the truck (I was a 1997 dodge dakota owner and still kick myself for getting rid of it) but I HATE my dealer, bunch of POS scumbags!

thanks for any help in advance

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to DodgeTalk!! I'm certain you'll find the answers you're looking for from the great folks here.

#3 ·
the creaking noises could be your shackles. i get creaking out of mine all the time. u can do a search on the chrome clad issue..i remember reading about it a while back in the 3rd gen forums. i think somebody said it would be possibe to take it off.

#4 ·
I can't really help you with AWD question, but I can tell you this. You do not have to take your truck back to that dealer to have it serviced! Any DC dealer will be happy to service your truck. The chrome clads would have to be replaced with a brand new wheel, but don't worry about it. I live up here in the North East with all the snow and salt on the roads and mine look as good today as the day I bought the truck! I don't have the creaking problem so I'm not sure what may be causing that. Try spraying some silicone oil on the shackles and shock mounts and see if that helps.

#7 ·
From what I remember the chrome cladding on the wheels can be removed but underneath it is a plain old ugly steel rim. the chrome cladding is actually going to show wear less than real chrome rims, because it will not rust and can be cleaned very easily.

#8 ·
Hi, did you ever get an answer to this? I'm experiencing a similar problem. My 2wd switches to 4wd on its own. The light for 4wd goes on even though the knob is pointing to 2wd. Plus I get a SERV 4WD light on the dash. Took it to the dealer this morning and they say everything is fine. :mad:

#9 ·
It's the transfercase wiring harness.

Yes I did finally get the dealer to fix the problem. It was in the wiring harness for the AWD-4WD, mine happen to short out when it would get wet so I took it in after they said it was fine and shot a hose at it and suddenly "Oh, there is something wrong.".

It took them 1 week to replace the harness and for some reason they serviced the transmission and tried to charge me $129, i calmly told them to shove it up their a$$, the truck had 1,400 miles on it!!!

Let me know how it goes,

#10 ·
Well my truck has been at the dealer most of the week (it's now stuck in 4WD) and they've concluded that they need to replace the 4WD transfer motor. This is supposedly a motor much like a windshield wiper motor that switches the transfer case when I turn the little 4WD/2WD knob on my dash. We'll see what happens when I get it back (hopefully) later today.

04QC4x4AWD said:
Yes I did finally get the dealer to fix the problem. It was in the wiring harness for the AWD-4WD, mine happen to short out when it would get wet so I took it in after they said it was fine and shot a hose at it and suddenly "Oh, there is something wrong.".

It took them 1 week to replace the harness and for some reason they serviced the transmission and tried to charge me $129, i calmly told them to shove it up their a$$, the truck had 1,400 miles on it!!!

Let me know how it goes,

#12 ·
Welcome to Dodgetalk. If you hang out around here chances are you'll spend more money than you think you will.

Mods!!!

#13 ·
If it has been a month and a half over due for the low jack system to be installed Dam that doesnt seem right, Can I ask if you got it in writing when you bought the truck? If you did then you have a leg to stand on and if you didnt get it in writing then you can say SOL. Whats there excuse for not getting it installed? I am glad my truck has the the shifter on the floor to engage the 4 wheel drive, I have heard a few complaints about your style. Oh and by the way Welcome to Dodgetalk

#14 ·
Just a side note.
Aren't all the 06 4X4s transfer box electric select?
Or is man. select still available?
And if they are all electric is it basically the same as the AWD transfer box and if it is are we looking at "issues" here.
Seems a lot having problems in the AWD camp.

#15 ·
rtes said:
Just a side note.
Aren't all the 06 4X4s transfer box electric select?
Or is man. select still available?
And if they are all electric is it basically the same as the AWD transfer box and if it is are we looking at "issues" here.
Seems a lot having problems in the AWD camp.
The 06's are all electronic, but I think it's a different TC. I got the electronic shift and I have AWD-4HI-4LO modes. The new ones supposedly have 2WD-AWD-4HI-4LO like on a chevy. I know that my TC has no 2wd mode, so it has to be different. Maybe the one from the 2500's? I know that in 05 the electronic shift on the HD's was 2wd, 4hi and 4lo.

#16 ·
04QC4x4AWD said:
Hi guys and gals,

New owner of a QC 4x4 laramie with all the "fixin's", she's got 1200 miles. I take the train to work so it will probably get 8k miles per year on it, my Tahoe I traded in was a 99 and had 40k miles on it.

Boy am I glad i found this site, have found tons of information. But I do have a few unanswered questions...

Those of you with AWD:
Everytime I go through a brushless car wash (2 times now) my AWD kicks into 4 wheel drive and the SERV 4WD light comes on. I shut it off and turn it back on and it engages 2WD again without a problem, I switch to 4WD and 2WD and no service light. Anyone have this problem?

I've not been able to get a straight answer out of the dealer (this dealer REALLY sucks). This dealer has been so bad I don't even want to back there again but I guess I have to for servicing and they have me over a barrell due to it's been 1.5 months and lowjack still isn't installed.

About the chrome clad wheels, anyone have durability issues with them? When I climb and look behind they see to be 2 piece, I wonder if they can be replaced with new claddings?

When I look at the rear wheelwell I see 2 bars that seem to hold the fender off of the suspension, might be because it's new but when I'm going over uneven terrain (just pulling into driveways) i get some creaking noises back there and I assume it's these bars.?

Otherwise I love the truck (I was a 1997 dodge dakota owner and still kick myself for getting rid of it) but I HATE my dealer, bunch of POS scumbags!

thanks for any help in advance
You have a 2WD mode on your AWD?

#17 ·
All 2006 1500s have an Electronic shift 4wd, the 2500/3500s still have the manual shift

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.