DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Way to tell if you have Bent Axle or a Bad Bearing?

6K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  kenihemi 
#1 ·
I have a 2002 Dodge Ram and was just wondering if there was a way to tell whether it has a bent axle, bad bearing, or with my luck, both? :WHT: I noticed that the rear passenger side wobbles but you can't really feel it until you get up to 65mph or so. Any ideas? Thanks in advance. :help:

#2 ·
I just bought the truck two weeks ago and my sister realized the problem when she was following me. I am going to have a buddy of mine fix it, but don't really know which it is. Or should I just take it to a local carshop and have them diagnose it and then have him fix it?

#3 ·
Please explain further about the left side wobbles.

Is the tire wobbling, the whole bed, etc.?

Is something going side to side or up and down?
Can you feel it in the cab?

Please give more specific info.

I think the folks here want to help but don't understand your problem.

I know I don't.

#4 ·
Well when I saw that it was wobbling, I put the rear end on jack stands and ran the truck in my garage to see if it was the tire or what. But the whole rim was wobbling so I took off the rim/tire and spun it by hand. It would get harder to turn in spots and then it would ease back up and be easy to turn. So I am thinking that it is either a bent axle shaft, a bad bearing, or both.

Anyway, when I drive it, the only time you can really feel it shake is when you get up to around 65 mph or so. Then the cab seems to just kind of bounce as I go down the highway. So I am guessing that the shocks deaden the bounce enough to where you can't really feel it until then.

Well hopefully that is detailed enough that someone knows what is wrong with my truck. Well thanks in advance.

#5 ·
If you don't hear any whine, its probably not the bearing.

Could be an axle or maybe the rotor is warped and is catching the brakes on the high spot. My guess is the rotor.

You could try to pry the brake pads off the rotor a little and spin the rotor to see if it goes away some.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.