Control Arms and Bushing Replacement - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
Notices

post #1 of 8 Old 03-18-2019, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
RedneckMarine98

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Control Arms and Bushing Replacement

Considering building a set of upper and lower control arms, as i'm tired of my 35x12.5's grabbing onto them when turning a little too tight.
Thinking of using something like these, along with some round stock i've got lying around the scrap pile.
https://www.barnes4wd.com/Forged-Chr...ds-_p_419.html

Also looking at replacing all the rubber bushings on the truck as 90% of them are factory and pretty well shot. Thinking traditional rubber is my best option, but have heard descent things about the new poly ones.

Any thoughts, suggestions, tips/tricks, or knowledge from experience would be appreciated.

Thanks

Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines

98' 2500
QC/SB
4x4 5-Speed
Quote Quick Reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-18-2019, 11:41 PM
spun360

Quoted: 210 Post(s)
you will need to drill out the through bolt termination points for a 5/8ths bolt. the stock bolts are a metric similar to a 9/16ths. nice joints though. with a RH thread on one end and a LH thread on the other, your control arms will be an adjustable length.
I eliminated my length adjustability. took the "cam washers" out and replaced them with a typical centered washer. stead fast at 0* caster. cant really notice, and it don't bother me any. MORE caster makes the wheels center naturally

parts for sale
ask about my treadwright retread experience
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

$150: 210lb double and dampener valve springs .550 lift
$pay shipping: new, dana/ spicer (1)greasable upper & (1)lower ball joint for dana 44
$pay shipping: new, standard oil pump
$pay shipping: new, super strength moog #377 frt axle hub universal w/ grease fitting
prices (for residence of the US)
cheep
shoot PMs my way
post #3 of 8 Old 03-22-2019, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
RedneckMarine98

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Yep, I did some shopping around and a descent set seems to run about $500 and i can build them for cheaper than that. Just gotta find the time to get it done between all my other projects.

Spun, have you replaced any of the OEM suspension bushings? If so did you go for OE style rubber, or go for the modern poly?

98' 2500
QC/SB
4x4 5-Speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 03-22-2019, 11:48 AM
spun360

i use poly any time I can. even both my engine mounts and trans mounts are solid poly. yes solid engine mounts, about 80 durometer. .

parts for sale
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

$pay shipping: new, dana/ spicer (1)greasable upper & (1)lower ball joint for dana 44
$pay shipping: new, super strength moog #377 frt axle hub universal w/ grease fitting
cheep
shoot PMs my way
post #5 of 8 Old 03-24-2019, 11:45 PM
spun360

https://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=379393

parts for sale

cheep
shoot PMs my way
post #6 of 8 Old 03-27-2019, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
RedneckMarine98

Garage
(Thread Starter)
That is a nice write up, do you have any issues with squeaking, or noise with any of your poly bushings?

98' 2500
QC/SB
4x4 5-Speed
post #7 of 8 Old 03-27-2019, 09:34 PM
spun360

my control arm bushings are poly inserts. no not noisy. I have after market tubular arms. black poly, "evidently has graphite impregnated", does not squeak, red poly is the greaseable type. not that greasing black is a bad thing either, poly is unaffected by grease and solvents!
https://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=332220
notice that I used a die cutter or Dremel bit would do, to groove the outside and inside of the bushings for grease travel allowance. also I drilled an eighth hole in the sleeve to grease the bolt inside the unit. all to keep the metal parts from rust seizing and the black poly from squeaking. grease eventually does squeeze out through, around the nut and bolt head out both sides.

parts for sale

cheep
shoot PMs my way
post #8 of 8 Old 04-01-2019, 10:11 PM
spun360

is that the info you were looking for?

parts for sale

cheep
shoot PMs my way

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in