G56 Owners: Fix for leaky shift boot - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
Notices

post #1 of 61 Old 10-04-2011, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
MSparks909

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
G56 Owners: Fix for leaky shift boot

While I was under the truck changing the transmission fluid, I saw that I have a leak around the top of my transmission. I powered through some diesel forums, and this is a well known issue. Apparently most of these rubber boots were damaged when the transmissions were installed into the trucks. Thus, they leak. The fix from Dodge is $90 for the same cheap, thin orange boot. A number of guys decided to use a more durable CV boot that is commonly used on ATV's. They have had good results. I ordered one tonight for $17.95 and I'll get it installed (with pics) as soon as I can.
The part number is M92-06801. It's a Moose CV boot.

06 Black QC G56, 76K miles and counting...
Thuren coils, tracbar, control arms, shackles, draglink, limit straps, towers, Stage 3 front King 2.5's, DBL Bypass rear King 2.5's, Carli leaf springs, Carli upper & lower BJ's and diff cover, PSC notched steering brace, 08.5 "T" linkage, PSC Extreme Duty Steering Box, Borgeson Lower Steering Shaft, Magnaflow muffler, Airaid Intake, American Racing ATX Thug 17x8.5, Yokohama Geolander AT/S 37x12.50x17, Rockcrusher rear diff cover, Airflow snorkel (fitted to Airaid full intake), Magnaflow y-pipe & Flowmaster Super 44 muffler, Go Recon Super White cab lights, EBC slotted rotors/Yellowstuff pads, winch thermal bypass & locker bypass, Pit Slave-modded SmartBar, greasable front u-joints, tint, JL Audio 12" subwoofer & JL Audio 500W amp with adjustable bass knob

Upcoming Mods:
Flowtech Headers, Line-X rocker panels/fender flares, eBay black mesh grill, DIY blacked-out headlights, Diablosport programmer, chopped rocker panels, tube bumpers F/R, Rigid Industries LED lightbar, axle truss, stiffer shock valving, VH tire carrier, Mastercraft Baja RS seats, Filtermag, Go Pro HERO 2

Last edited by MSparks909; 10-05-2011 at 05:39 PM.
Quote Quick Reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 Old 10-04-2011, 08:59 PM
kemp

Do you think this leak is why your tranny was down 2.5 quarts?
post #3 of 61 Old 10-04-2011, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
MSparks909

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemp View Post
Do you think this leak is why your tranny was down 2.5 quarts?
Yup. Looks like it's been leaking for a while. Kinda irritated at myself for not noticing it earlier Just glad I figured it out now! I have about $135 in transmission fluid sloshing around in the G56. I'd hate for it to seep out.

Thuren coils, tracbar, control arms, shackles, draglink, limit straps, towers, Stage 3 front King 2.5's, DBL Bypass rear King 2.5's, Carli leaf springs, Carli upper & lower BJ's and diff cover, PSC notched steering brace, 08.5 "T" linkage, PSC Extreme Duty Steering Box, Borgeson Lower Steering Shaft, Magnaflow muffler, Airaid Intake, American Racing ATX Thug 17x8.5, Yokohama Geolander AT/S 37x12.50x17, Rockcrusher rear diff cover, Airflow snorkel (fitted to Airaid full intake), Magnaflow y-pipe & Flowmaster Super 44 muffler, Go Recon Super White cab lights, EBC slotted rotors/Yellowstuff pads, winch thermal bypass & locker bypass, Pit Slave-modded SmartBar, greasable front u-joints, tint, JL Audio 12" subwoofer & JL Audio 500W amp with adjustable bass knob

Upcoming Mods:
Flowtech Headers, Line-X rocker panels/fender flares, eBay black mesh grill, DIY blacked-out headlights, Diablosport programmer, chopped rocker panels, tube bumpers F/R, Rigid Industries LED lightbar, axle truss, stiffer shock valving, VH tire carrier, Mastercraft Baja RS seats, Filtermag, Go Pro HERO 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 61 Old 10-04-2011, 10:30 PM
TwinStick

Can anyone please post up a link to this issue ?

08' PowerWagon w/6-speed manual G-56. 05' 30' toyhauler camper.(10,500lbs)
Hellwig LoadPro 35 bolt on 4 leaf helper springs.
No honey, I'm NOT done buying shit for the truck yet !!!
PurpleCrainium Diff Guards
K&N air filter --- WeatherGuard 20" black bed toolbox.
winch TPC bypass
Dual battery set up w/2 Sears DieHard Platinums-Gp 65 under hood-Gp 31 Marine deep cycle in bed toolbox w/plug-n-play set up. Custom 2000/4000w inverter set up w/quick connect. Triple bike mounts above the bed- custom made by me.
Crapload of recovery gear-always subject to adding more.
Fab Four rear bumper. Soon to be- a BuckStop Baja front bumper.--Temporarily on hold, see reason below.
Installed: Borgeson #000951 steering shaft. PSC steering brace(notched for PW by Rusty-thanks bud). Carli HD CroMo adjustable track bar. Carli CroMo control arms. Carli HD upper & lower balljoints x 2 sets (replaced under warrenty) & triple sealed u-joints in front axle shafts & rear driveshaft. Moog HD tierod ends x 4. Running total is now $4800. Yup, now i'm broke !!!

What, you ask, is the difference between a Dodge Ram and a PowerWagon ?? PW frame part # 55398868AC---Reg 2500 #55398813AC
About 2" taller, 12,000lb winch w/mounting brace between framerails,electronic disconnecting swaybar(for awsome articulation),electronic locking axles front & rear(for true 4-wheel drive),tow pkg, fully skidplated,forged one piece Alcoa rims w/internal beadlock lips,larger diameter(one ton) axleshaft in rear,160 amp alt,HD battery,4.56 gears,low range electronic recalibration of gas pedal sensitivity,more but thinner leafs in rear spring pack(for better articulation), 33" BFG All-Terrain tires. 78.016:1 crawl ratio. All for $6100.00 more! Oh yeah, almost forgot-Bilstein shocks. Gear ratios: 1st 6.29:1 2nd 3.48:1 3rd 2.10:1 4th 1.38:1 5th 1.0:1 6th .79:1.. Rev 5.74:1.
post #5 of 61 Old 10-04-2011, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
MSparks909

(Thread Starter)
Google "G56 shift boot leak". You'll get a TON of hits over on cumminsforum. I can't post the links here because this forum bleeps out the URL because it's not "Dodgetalk". From my research, there was even a TSB on the issue back around 07 and there was a national backorder on the shifter boots.

Upcoming Mods:
post #6 of 61 Old 10-04-2011, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
MSparks909

(Thread Starter)
http://www.c u m m i n s f o r u m.c...-problems.html

Take out the spaces in "cummins forum" and there ya go.

Upcoming Mods:
post #7 of 61 Old 10-05-2011, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
MSparks909

(Thread Starter)
I disassembled my console while I had some free time this afternoon. I ended up finding the infamous orange rubber boot and sure enough it was torn...in two places! Those tears are why my transmission has been leaking. I cleaned up the orange boot and the area a bit and I'm going to leave my console disassembled and try to drive the truck as little as I can until my new CV axle boot gets in. You'll need an 8mm socket and a phillips screwdriver. You'll also need a 9/16" socket to remove the nut off of the transfer case shift nob so you can unscrew it and pull the boot off. My shift nob already had the nut off so I could simply unscrew it. Here's some pics:

First, disassemble your console until it looks like this:

Then, remove the (6) 8mm self tapping screws holding this rubber boot around the base of the shifter and slide the boot up and off the shifter:

Here is the orange rubber boot. Notice how "shiny" it is. That's because it's covered in old ATF fluid:

I immediately saw the first hole at the 12 o'clock position. It's actually more like a tear:

After I cleaned up the boot and area with paper towels, I discovered a smaller second tear, at the 6 o'clock position:

Once the new boot comes in, I'll install it and post up more pictures. I hope this helped clear up some confusion as to what exactly is ripped and causing the leak. I highly recommend that other G56 owners, ESPECIALLY trucks made in 2006 and 2007 to crawl underneath their trucks and look near the top of the transmission. If you see grime buildup, then your boot is probably torn. GET IT FIXED as soon as you can. It's a pretty easy DIY, and it could possibly save your transmission in the long run.

Oh yeah, while your console is disassembled, now would be a good time to power clean the plastic and rubber parts.

Upcoming Mods:
post #8 of 61 Old 11-04-2011, 07:19 PM
kemp

Here's what mine looked like, I checked after reading this thread. Thanks! You probably saved me a transmission. If you've got a G-56 you ought to go ahead and check this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg holeinshiftboot.jpg (206.0 KB, 7 views)
post #9 of 61 Old 11-04-2011, 10:53 PM
fbenross

So is the new boot in yet ?????

2006 POWER WAGON 6 SPD

1970 SCOUT 800 4 SPD
post #10 of 61 Old 11-04-2011, 11:06 PM
TwinStick

Was any of yours leaking enough to leave marks in the driveway from the dripping ???

winch TPC bypass
Dual battery set up w/2 Sears DieHard Platinums-Gp 65 under hood-Gp 31 Marine deep cycle in bed toolbox w/plug-n-play set up. Custom 2000/4000w inverter set up w/quick connect. Triple bike mounts above the bed- custom made by me.
Fab Four rear bumper. Soon to be- a BuckStop Baja front bumper.--Temporarily on hold, see reason below.
Installed: Borgeson #000951 steering shaft. PSC steering brace(notched for PW by Rusty-thanks bud). Carli HD CroMo adjustable track bar. Carli CroMo control arms. Carli HD upper & lower balljoints x 2 sets (replaced under warrenty) & triple sealed u-joints in front axle shafts & rear driveshaft. Moog HD tierod ends x 4. Running total is now $4800. Yup, now i'm broke !!!

What, you ask, is the difference between a Dodge Ram and a PowerWagon ?? PW frame part # 55398868AC---Reg 2500 #55398813AC
About 2" taller, 12,000lb winch w/mounting brace between framerails,electronic disconnecting swaybar(for awsome articulation),electronic locking axles front & rear(for true 4-wheel drive),tow pkg, fully skidplated,forged one piece Alcoa rims w/internal beadlock lips,larger diameter(one ton) axleshaft in rear,160 amp alt,HD battery,4.56 gears,low range electronic recalibration of gas pedal sensitivity,more but thinner leafs in rear spring pack(for better articulation), 33" BFG All-Terrain tires. 78.016:1 crawl ratio. All for $6100.00 more! Oh yeah, almost forgot-Bilstein shocks. Gear ratios: 1st 6.29:1 2nd 3.48:1 3rd 2.10:1 4th 1.38:1 5th 1.0:1 6th .79:1.. Rev 5.74:1.
post #11 of 61 Old 11-05-2011, 08:25 AM
wt61443

Yes i am curious as well to see the install pics (if you took any), or just letting us know the install went well. How is the old boot secured? With a large clamp like the new boot comes with (top and bottom)? I need to check mine here soon as well. Thanks.

06 White QC Power Wagon *6-Spd *Weather Guard Toolbox*Ranch Hand Headache Rack*Rhino Liner Bedliner*Line-xed bumpers, grille, rocker panels, wheel wells, badges, tail-light guards*DT Steering Brace*Rockcrusher rear diff cover*Carli front diff guard
Flowmaster 44 Muffler w/side pipes
4 tab light bar behind the grille w/2 Hella Driving Lights & 2 Fog Lights
Rock Rails line-xed and mounted!
Locker Bypass waiting to be installed
post #12 of 61 Old 11-05-2011, 10:47 AM
fbenross

I'll crawl under mine today, unless it starts raining. I don't have anything leaking on the ground under my 06 anywhere. I'll see if it's seeping.

2006 POWER WAGON 6 SPD

1970 SCOUT 800 4 SPD
post #13 of 61 Old 11-05-2011, 11:05 AM
TwinStick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinStick View Post
Was any of yours leaking enough to leave marks in the driveway from the dripping ???

I ask this because i really don't want to rip mine apart at this time of the year. It's getting cold & hunting season is just around the corner. I do not have any drips on my driveway at all & it shifts just fine.

winch TPC bypass

post #14 of 61 Old 11-05-2011, 12:33 PM
kemp

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinStick View Post
[/B]

I ask this because i really don't want to rip mine apart at this time of the year. It's getting cold & hunting season is just around the corner. I do not have any drips on my driveway at all & it shifts just fine.
I don't have a driveway to park in, but I didn't notice any spots in my parking space when I'd move the truck. Most of the leaking is done when the truck is moving and the tranny is splashing ATF out of the hole. The old boot isn't secured with any clamps but it is pretty snug fitting. I doubt it'd leak without a huge hole in it. It was about 50 degrees here when I did mine last night and I was able to do the whole thing in the cab with the doors shut- I don't have a garage here either. It took me about 2.5 hours, but I was taking my time. I went ahead and put another 2 quarts of ATF in the tranny when I had the gasket off. MSparks909 recomended that I add the fluid this way- he really helped me figure out what needed to be done. This'll last me until I can order some Mobile Delvac 50w gear oil, which is what Mercedes Benz says to run.

With the 2 extra quarts it does shift smoother and it runs a little quieter too. If you notice that your tranny is wet and ATF is leaking from the top near the shitfer area I'd go ahead and check the orange boot. It's worth the peace of mind in my opinion.
post #15 of 61 Old 11-05-2011, 12:48 PM
TwinStick

For you G-56 guys that don't know this, I am currently running about a 50/50 mix of ATF+4 & Lucas Lube 140w gear oil. It has been working fantasically. Started with this mix at 198 miles on the truck. Drained it at around 15/16,000 miles & fluid looked as clear as the day i put it in & magnet had nothing big on it at all, just the stuff thats so fine it looks like anti-seize. When i first did this, everyone told me i was nuts. 3 yrs later everyone is reccomending to use gear oil as the ATF+4 is just too thin. I will check my trans today, but mine is undercoated with Fluid Film & everything is filthy dirty. I should be able to see fresh fluid on it though.

winch TPC bypass

post #16 of 61 Old 11-05-2011, 08:30 PM
fbenross

I checked the top/sides of my tranny....Dry as a bone. I guess the Mexicans didn't damage mine on installiation. I would still like to see how the repair goes, using a boot for an ATV.

2006 POWER WAGON 6 SPD

1970 SCOUT 800 4 SPD
post #17 of 61 Old 11-05-2011, 10:32 PM
kemp

I didn't take any pictures of the installation as I was running out of daylight, but here's the exact boot I replaced it with:

http://www.atlantamotorworld.com/dlr...-FAST+BOOT.htm

It's as close to an exact fit that I could expect with an ATV boot.
post #18 of 61 Old 11-06-2011, 07:45 AM
TwinStick

Good link, thanks. You can get a six pack of boots for $17.95---Part #0213-0033. Or just the single boot kit for $17.95---Part # M92-06801. Thanks again.

This should be added to the FAQ/Mods section, when completed.

winch TPC bypass

Last edited by TwinStick; 11-06-2011 at 07:59 AM.
post #19 of 61 Old 11-06-2011, 09:42 AM
fbenross

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemp View Post
I didn't take any pictures of the installation as I was running out of daylight, but here's the exact boot I replaced it with:

http://www.atlantamotorworld.com/dlr...-FAST+BOOT.htm

It's as close to an exact fit that I could expect with an ATV boot.
I guess all that matters is that it keep out dirt and moisture. Unless you have a snorkel, then it needs to be water proof. So.....Fluid Film, Silicon, and don't forget the Dielectric Grease. Not necessarily in that order.

2006 POWER WAGON 6 SPD

1970 SCOUT 800 4 SPD
post #20 of 61 Old 11-06-2011, 09:36 PM
RustyPW08
Moab Tested

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbenross View Post
I guess all that matters is that it keep out dirt and moisture. Unless you have a snorkel, then it needs to be water proof. So.....Fluid Film, Silicon, and don't forget the Dielectric Grease. Not necessarily in that order.
Do I see a snorkel in someone's future? LMAO

PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC
Sequentially Number #08-1505,
Inferno Red, Automatic
Mods to the PW;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Nerffed Mopar RockRails, Wheel Well Liners, Bushwacker Pocket Fender Flairs, Extang Tonneau Cover, Garvmin dezl 560LMT GPS, Power Wagon Winch Kit, Line X Ultra Bed Liner, PIAA Headlight Bulbs, PIAA 580 Driving Lights (135 watt), PIAA 520 Fog Lights (135 watt), PIAA 520 ATP Off-Road Lights (135 watt), Locker Bypass, Modifed Rockcrusher Diff Covers, Mopar Utility Bed Rails and Tool Box, Warn Winch Wireless Remote Control, "el-cheapo" Inclinometer, Airaid CAI, Winch TPS Bypass, Had 35" Cooper STT's now 35" Toyo's, Mopar Spare Tire Lock, 'T' Steering Linkage, Modifed PSC Steering Brace, P3 Brake Controller, Modifed Fusion "mall crawler" rear bumper, PIAA 1500 Back-Up Lights, 1Ton HEMI Tranny Cooler, Leer 100XR Bed Cap, Factory Tow Mirrors, CenterLine Rims 17x9-5.25 BS, Mag-Hytec Tranny Pan, AutoMeter Gauges, PSC Extreme Hydro Assist Steering, Carli Track Bar, Carli Ball-Joints, Dynatrac FreeSpin Hubs, Snorkel, RCV Axles, EBC Pads & Rotors, Aluminess Front Bumper, BIG Pul-Pal and it's own body bag!, 60" Extreme Hi-lift Jack, and more riggin' equipment, Carli Long Travel Air Bags, Bilstein 7100 Shocks - Carli Valving, MORE STUFF COMIN', TTI headers, Somebody's long arm, 7.2L MOTOR
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mods to me; Ti hip replacement. Zerk fitting in knee. Now it's gets greased more than some guys front drive shafts. I've been Used, Abused and Recycled!

Survivor of The Cold War,
Heaven's Gate, The Grand Conjunction, The Pleiadeans Landings, Y2K, The Winch Mob Banning, The Mayan Apocalypse, and some other covert stuff. Future ISIS killer!

"Moab '10, '12, '14",
"Rausch Creek-Spring, Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14"

RUSS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in