Electrical HELP! - in the middle of a 2009 locker mod - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
Notices

post #1 of 14 Old 01-01-2010, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
crawler#976

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Electrical HELP! - in the middle of a 2009 locker mod

Decided to do the locker mod on the 2009. I found the T'case position sensor - it looks different than the early models (see photo).

Since I didn't know which wire was the correct one, I spliced into both with a long loop, then cut it them in the middle to test resistance with my multi-meter. There is a purple/yellow and a white/ green on the factory connector. I verified it is the position sensor - when disconnected the 4x4 light is out.

Here's where I'm lost.

Both wires show the same resistance values, and they are as follows with the meter set to 20K (the 220 resistor I bought to do the job reads 0.23 on this setting):

4Lo - 6.28
N - 6.23
2H - 6.07
4H - 6.17

I’m not familiar with electronics, but I realize the 220 resistor ain’t gonna do the job.

So, HELP!!! What do I need to get this done!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1978.JPG (277.3 KB, 0 views)

Sarchasm : The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Last edited by crawler#976; 01-01-2010 at 06:04 PM.
Quote Quick Reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-01-2010, 05:00 PM
azracer

You should only cut the return circuit the other is the signal power wire from the ECM to the TC switch. The other wire is the signal return wire from the sensor. By bypassing this with either the resistor or the straight through for normal operation using the switch. Find the voltage output (likely a 5v reference signal) to the sensors then splice into that one (not cut it) and put it on a "NO" (normally open) pole with the 220 resistor. Then find the signal return wire then cut it and put the ECM side in the center pole "C" (common) and then put the other end from the switch on the other "NO" pole.

The way it sounds to me is you have cut and not spliced the signal power output from the ECM. The way it works is as a bypass of only the signal return side and not a complete replacement of all circuits.

Hope this helps because electrical and text are difficult if not incompatible.

KP
post #3 of 14 Old 01-01-2010, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
crawler#976

(Thread Starter)
KP,

In essence, all I did was extend both wires thru the t'case lever boot, and then test them with the multi-meter. It replicates the stock wiring except it's longer so I could access it easier. Prior to butt splicing them back together, with the truck on and off, and checking between the green pair or the black pair, I got the readings above. I didn't expect to see the same numbers on both legs of the circuit.

The photo shows how I ran the wires. I soldered the green extension to the white/green, and the black to the purple/yellow. After drilling four holes thru the t'case lever locking block, I ran the wires into the cab in pairs. The rear green and black pair are from the sensor, the front green and black pair are from the original harness. When I check the 220 resistor, it shows 0.23 on the meter. When I check the resistor with the component test setting, it checks right at 220, so I think I'm using the meter correctly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1979.JPG (329.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1980.JPG (162.3 KB, 1 views)

Sarchasm : The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Last edited by crawler#976; 01-01-2010 at 06:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 01-01-2010, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
crawler#976

(Thread Starter)
I went out and cut off the butt splice to take photos of the readings:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4 high.JPG (229.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 2 high.JPG (243.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg neutral.JPG (257.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 4 low.JPG (227.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg check.JPG (210.0 KB, 2 views)

post #5 of 14 Old 01-02-2010, 08:28 AM
azracer

The one switch varies the voltage for all four transfer case positions. So you are bypassing that switch only. You do not even mess with the other switch at all if I understand things correctly.

KP

Edit; I carefully reread your post and I understand the 4 wires now. I believe you may be on the neutral switch and not the 4wd selector switch. Check to see if you get a different reading in neutral. I may need to go out later to my truck and try to see exactly what you are talking about.

Last edited by azracer; 01-02-2010 at 09:22 AM.
post #6 of 14 Old 01-02-2010, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
crawler#976

(Thread Starter)
There is only one switch on the t'case, and it's directly over the shifter.

I'm puzzled as to why my multimeter isn't reading the correct value on the 2000 or 200 settings with the 220 ohm resistor. I'm going to get another meter to rule out any error.

post #7 of 14 Old 01-02-2010, 10:02 AM
azracer

I tried to post a screen shot of the 06>08 manual wire diagram but it won't let me. I tried to post it here but with the 640X480 size limitation it is not very good.

There are 3 wires to the switch. Acording to the 2008 diagram it is WT/GN sensor power, VT/YL for the signal return and BK for the sensor ground. It works like a TPS or EGR position sensor. It is this variable sensor that you bypass.

Here is the link to the 640X480 screen shot

KP
post #8 of 14 Old 01-02-2010, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
crawler#976

(Thread Starter)
Hmmm...

There are only two wires on the switch. I've got a bad feeling about this.

post #9 of 14 Old 01-02-2010, 10:36 AM
azracer

I just went over to the power wagon registry and it looks as though you are on the correct switch. and it looks to be the 2 wire switch. I'm not sure how you can get a two wire switch to read variable readings though. It may be it is a 4lo switch. I'm not too sure at this point. I hope someone chimes in on this that has done it.

Note: I see the 3 wire sensor in the picture and they definitely do not use those wires on the one shown on the power wagon registry site.
post #10 of 14 Old 01-02-2010, 11:05 AM
azracer

Put your meter on the 2000 ohm scale you are on the 20,000 ohm or 20K scale then your resistor reading should look correct. Not too sure about what is going on with your other readings.

That sensor must be internally grounded if it is going to give a true variable reading. Either that or it is a true 4 or 5 position switch.

Either way it looks as though you are on the correct wires. Find the one with either 12v or 5v on it and splice that one put the resistor on the one you spliced into it. The other one split and extend both ends to your switch.

Does it still read position if connected in the OEM configuration? If so you should be OK still. I will go and try to see my wires now.

KP
post #11 of 14 Old 01-02-2010, 11:33 AM
azracer

The WT/GN wire is the 5v reference signal from the ECM and this is the one that gets spliced. The BN/? wire is the signal return and it gets split and extended. I unplugged mine and verified it with my DVOM. It is a rather large sensor that must be for only this application.

KP
post #12 of 14 Old 01-02-2010, 12:03 PM
azracer

This should make you feel a little better about the mod. I figured out that DT does not like BMP files so this one i converted to a jpg.

KP

PS: The wire diagram I posted is for all RAM applications, the 4 triangles are for PW only and there are no triangles on the ground wire so the PW must not use it.

Last edited by azracer; 01-02-2010 at 12:18 PM.
post #13 of 14 Old 01-02-2010, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
crawler#976

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for your help KP!

I went out and did a temp hook up with the switch and it works fine. Dunno what the readings I was getting are, but the 220 ohm resistor works as advertised.

I'll add a post to the Cactus Red mod thread with the finished install.

...and again, thanks KP!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1986.JPG (57.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1987.JPG (73.4 KB, 2 views)

post #14 of 14 Old 01-02-2010, 01:02 PM
4ruddymicha

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Wow way to tear right into that! Thanks for making me more confused about wiring!

2006 Ram 1500 RC SB 4x4 5.7 Hemi
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current Mods:
4.56 Gears, SRT-10 Hood, Home Brew Ram Air, Pacesetter headers, Dual Exhaust dumped, 3000 Edge Stall, Diablo, 180* T-stat, Brand X Wet Kit,SP Performance slotted rotors, EBC pads, Flex a lite 183. Bilsteins shocks on all corners.
Awaiting install- Summit 20% underdrive and a Spartan cam lsa 113.
1/4... 13.3
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in