DodgeTalk Forum banner

Engine with square breather ID

3K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Ray Bell 
#1 ·
This was sold to me as a 350 V8 in my 1948 dodge PU sitting in a 1996 S10 frame. Any ideas what this motor may be or the era? Never seen a two bolt square breather like this before

#4 ·
I realize it’s a Chevy motor. Just looking for some wisdom as to era and possible what it may have been in when it was covered by GM steel to help me with parts.
I plan to dress up the motor that runs very strong and clean and finish the interior and bed. Gonna use truck to follow local shows and drive around town on the weekends.

Attachments

#5 ·
Anything like that is bolt-on stuff that will fit any Chevy from a 283 to a 400 small block...

Look at engine numbers, casting numbers and perhaps ask on the Hotrodders forum where there are people who are always happy to know Chevy engines are in use.

Not that you're not welcome here, but most Mopar people stick with Mopar.

#6 ·
Thanks for clarifying who is and who is not welcome here. I also own a 1969 GTO and a 1973 charger. Sorry to bother you folks with this question. Been around street rods and performance for years and thought there may be some wisdom here to help with my half breed . I’ll talk to the Chevy folks.

#7 ·
I don't know if you drew the inference that you aren't welcome...

That's certainly not the case and not what I said. My statement was that Mopar people aren't all that likely to know the nuances of Chevrolet variations.

And as I said, you will get quicker answers with the guys on the Hotrodders forum. Knowing a model by its tail lights is one thing, but knowing by the variations in the engines is more up their alley.

What rear axle does it have?

#8 ·
Has 411 rear gears and 700 tranny. It’s not an aftermarket breather . Couple folks think it may be from a early 90’s police car. Still no luck. No numbers on rear of engine above bell housing or behind alternator below head as has been suggested.
I plan to pull the motor next week so may be able to find out more if I can find numbers.

Go-Mo!!! Even when it has a Chevy powertrain.
Thanks for responding folks.

#9 ·
It looks a lot like an early 90's 5.7, '92 or earlier IF that is the original distributor, but it could be a mix of parts 'n' pieces too. The layout looks kind of like an Impala, but I'm drawing a blank on that air cleaner, never seen anything like that on a Chevy...assuming it's out of a Chevy at all, or even a car for that matter. The v-belt setup is weird, too, almost like it's off earlier vehicles. GM was using ribbed belts even in the mid-80's. The S-10 setup was popular for rods, but I'm wondering if they swapped in a beefier axle setup. 4.11 is great for burning rubber, but kind of sucks on the highway, even with OD. The casting number is always on the left side (driver) of the engine on the bellhousing flange.

#10 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I am thinking it’s a 5.7 as well and had a guy tell me he remembers these from early 90’s and believes it was in an impala as suggested.
Still digging so I’ll let you all know.
I found a 383 last week from a friend that I may drop in this steel box and see how that works with a new rear gear.

#11 ·
Gee, Pardner. You were a bit on the brazen side. The man has a Dodge truck that makes him welcome here (IMO) So it happens to have a brand x engine in it.
He ask a solid question. He deserves a good answer.
Some day you may be in the same boat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.