DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums - View Single Post - Wagon 1 is down...
Notices

View Single Post
Old 03-28-2012, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
MSparks909

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Bringinggg the thread back to the top. I think I know why my water pump failed. For about a year I have been topping off my coolant in the overflow tank with the Prestone 50/50 mix "mixes with all types & all colors" coolant. After some research I found out that that Prestone mix is an OAT coolant, and Mopar specifies an HOAT coolant...mixing the two can cause severe cooling system problems such as cavitation, pitting, erosion, sludge, etc.
Ford ran a test in which an engine/radiator designed for HOAT coolant was filled with OAT coolant and ran for 300 hours. The water pump and backing plate was severely damaged by cavitation corrosion. Now I wasn't running a straight 100% OAT fill, but I had been diluting the HOAT coolant fill for some time and I believe that was one of the leading factors to my failed water pump. I had the coolant flushed at Dodge @ the 30 & 60K mile marks. Truck currently has 75K on it and fresh HOAT coolant from when Dodge replaced the water pump. I'll probably flush it again @ 90K just to be safe and then again at 120K. And now I know that when I have to top off to use ONLY Zerex G-05 Coolant.

Save yourself the time, trouble and money in the long run and use the appropriate coolant. Wish I would have known the difference between OAT and HOAT coolants when I bough that Prestone stuff...lesson learned.

Here's a link to the Zerex that I'm talking about.
http://www.valvoline.com/products/br.../antifreeze/42

06 Black QC G56, 76K miles and counting...
Thuren coils, tracbar, control arms, shackles, draglink, limit straps, towers, Stage 3 front King 2.5's, DBL Bypass rear King 2.5's, Carli leaf springs, Carli upper & lower BJ's and diff cover, PSC notched steering brace, 08.5 "T" linkage, PSC Extreme Duty Steering Box, Borgeson Lower Steering Shaft, Magnaflow muffler, Airaid Intake, American Racing ATX Thug 17x8.5, Yokohama Geolander AT/S 37x12.50x17, Rockcrusher rear diff cover, Airflow snorkel (fitted to Airaid full intake), Magnaflow y-pipe & Flowmaster Super 44 muffler, Go Recon Super White cab lights, EBC slotted rotors/Yellowstuff pads, winch thermal bypass & locker bypass, Pit Slave-modded SmartBar, greasable front u-joints, tint, JL Audio 12" subwoofer & JL Audio 500W amp with adjustable bass knob

Upcoming Mods:
Flowtech Headers, Line-X rocker panels/fender flares, eBay black mesh grill, DIY blacked-out headlights, Diablosport programmer, chopped rocker panels, tube bumpers F/R, Rigid Industries LED lightbar, axle truss, stiffer shock valving, VH tire carrier, Mastercraft Baja RS seats, Filtermag, Go Pro HERO 2

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome