DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums - View Single Post - Tie Rod end failure
Notices

View Single Post
Old 02-16-2011, 12:31 PM
bajaxplorer
bajaxplorer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Important Info!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinStick View Post
Here is a threat about a complete tie rod failure/breakage on a 4th Gen PW.

https://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=325517
I went to this thread and found H46 in post #23 by Chrysler Tech. It is dated May 2009. It contains a Step 9 on page 15, instruction for service tech to check alignment on tie rod end.
This step is missing from the H46 dated April 2009 that I received from Dodge. The earlier service procedure on the recall did not include this check on tre alignment. (No Step 9)

I'm attaching page 12 from each of the versions of H46, plus page 15 which is not in the April version. Notice Step 7. o. on Page 12 says return to customer on the earlier version, while it says to go to Step 9 on the later version.

My guess is someone figured out tre's were breaking (hence, the revision), but unless you took the time to read the later revision of the recall, you would not know about it.

If the dealer techs are using the earlier version they are (or were for a month or two) probably not checking the tre alignment. I think I know who should bear responsibility for replacing the broken tre's. You guessed it.

BX
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4-09 H46 p. 12.JPG (62.6 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg 5-09 H46 p. 12.JPG (69.9 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 5-09 H46 p. 15.JPG (72.3 KB, 27 views)

I'm lost, but I'm making good time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Beer is good food. Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer. Beer is the reason I get up every afternoon. Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy. Beer is water that has reached it's full potential.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome