DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums - View Single Post - Bypassing the winch thermal protection...
Notices

View Single Post
Old 04-26-2009, 04:05 PM
pdavey
05DodgePowerWagon2115

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
WARN Winch Thermal Protection Switch Gone Bad (Motor Fine)

Hey all. First of all, this post was very timely as I was also trying to diagnose what was going on with the winch on my Power Wagon. After troubleshooting using the Chrysler Winch Service Manual (provided courtesy of Warn also attached here), I finally figured out that it wasn't my solenoids or my motor that had gone bad (as previously diagosed by the stealership), but rather the stupid thermal protector that had gone bad again (I had previously had the motor replaced for this).

This time I wasn't so quick to spend a few hundred dollars on a motor etc, so I set about trying to figure out if anyone else was having the same issue. After looking around on the internet it appeared that there were a few other folks were having the same issue even though they hardly used their winch's (I have only used mine for any real purpose, once to pull a car out of ditch a few years ago, other then that just to test that it works or not.)

After reading a few posts I decided to take a trip to my local NAPA auto parts to see if I could put together a bypass that looked pretty good and didn't cost an arm and a leg. I purchased item number 755-1598 a 2-Flat Electrical Connector - 12" Loop ($1.99) (similar to the connector that goes from the solenoids to the thermal protection switch) a few crimp ends and had some electical tape laying around the house. (All told less then $3.00)

Here are the pictures and instructions to detail what i did to put it together.

Instructions:

1. Cut the 2-Flat Electrical Connector in half and leave about 2 inches of wire on both ends.

2. Strip all 4 wires leaving the bare copper ends

3. Twist the ends of the black and white wires together

4. Use a 14-20 guage crimp ends and crimp them onto the ends of the combined wires.

5. Finish with electrical tape to make more water resistant and a nicer finish.

6. Separate the two ends on the winch

7. Plug the newly created bypasses onto each end (you likely don't need the end from the side going to the winch motor but I don't like to leave empty wires hanging.)

8. Enjoy the fact that your winch is working again without having to replace the motor. (Just to verify the fact that there wasn't anything wrong with the motor I did take it apart and it looked good as new).

I have also attached pictures of the Warn Wireless Remote Kit I installed. Well worth the cost and the remote is small enough you can use it at the same time as holding the cable to winch in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Step 1-2.JPG (236.2 KB, 177 views)
File Type: jpg Step 3.JPG (499.8 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg Step 4.JPG (433.3 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg Step 5.JPG (424.9 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg Step 6.JPG (298.6 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg Step 7a.JPG (215.8 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg Step 7b.JPG (235.6 KB, 118 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CHRYSLERDR Winch Service_6-6-05[1].pdf (1.10 MB, 439 views)

2005 Dodge Power Wagon QC Black - "Laramie"
Performance Mods:
Green Cold Air Intake, Gibson Dual Cat Exhast (Side Swept), DiabloSport Predator U7137 Tuner

Other Mods:
Kenwood KVT-719 w/ Garmin Navigation and Kenwood Rear Camera, JL Stealth Sub

Suspension/Protection Mods:
Carli Upper "Bomb Proof" Ball Joints, NAPA Lower Ball Joints, Thuren Adj Track Bar, Thuren Adjusted Fox Damper, T-Style Steering Upgrade, New Power Steering Pump, 2012 Power Steering Motor Upgrade, Thuren King 2.5 Custom Rear Shocks -Stage 1, Thuren Off-set Control Arms, Thuren King 2.5 Custom Front Shocks -Stage 2, 35x12.50x17 Nitto Trail Grappler (previous tires Cooper STT), Carli Front Dif Gard,

Style/Other Mods:
KC LightBar Behind Tow Hooks Mount, 2 KC Slim Driving Lights, 2 KC Offroading Lights, Weatherguard Black Steel Truck Box, Winch TPS bypass, Warn Wireless Winch Module

Last edited by pdavey; 04-26-2009 at 07:08 PM. Reason: Posted Photos

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome