How do you replace an Oxygen Sensor - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
Closed Thread

#1 Old 04-17-2006, 04:29 PM
tgarrity

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
How do you replace an Oxygen Sensor

This is probably the worst question ever, but I haven't done this before.
Im replacing both sensors, I guess my question is, how do you take them off?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-17-2006, 04:33 PM
sherdep
voo doo 1 I am buggin out

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgarrity
This is probably the worst question ever, but I haven't done this before.
Im replacing both sensors, I guess my question is, how do you take them off?
you un hook the connectors and you have a special socket that has a section cut out so you can keep the wire from being cut and you unscrew or un bolt the sensors from the pipe ... some times they are hard as hell to get out so if you know you are replacing them if you screw the wires up coming out no big deal but going in is another story. You can rent or buy the tool at Autozone or Discount auto. Attached is what an O2 socket looks like
Attached Images
File Type: jpg o2_socket_1.jpg (5.5 KB, 333 views)

04 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
6" Fabtech Lift
305/70/18 Dick Cepek FC-II Tires on DC-1 Rims
Fram Boost CAI
Hellwig Rear sway Bar
Train Horns with a Viar420C and a 5 Gallon Air Tank
Dynatech Long Tube Headers - Great fit but Dynatech's support is lacking
DynoMax Part # 19413 Single Cat Back Exhaust
If you need to contact me - please send me an email due to not being on here as much as I used to.

Some get it and some will never get it

#3 Old 04-17-2006, 07:18 PM
LoudRam
Redneck Yankee

I replaced mine so I just cut the wires and used a deep socket, but it was a MAJOR PAIN getting it out. I started the truck to get the pipe hot, used wd-40, breaker bar with extention, hammer on the breaker bar (not necessarily in that order). After all that it finally gave. Putting the new one in was easy, just used an open end wrench.

-Todd Desert Storm Vet/ US Navy
'01 Ram 1500 SLT Laramie 4x4 Quad Cab Debadged, 360 cubic inches of pure American muscle.
Performance Mods:Hypertech Power Programmer III, TB: Fins cut, ported and polished Intake: Ported and polished, runners cut down 5/8", 180 T-stat, Edelbrock Pro-Flo 1002, Magnaflow high flow cat and 3"SI/2.5"DO exhaust w/ 3" polished stainless tips, Plenum repaired w/ Hughes kit
Appearance Mods: Eagle wheels 16x8, 33" Toyo Open Country AT's (285/75), Diamond Back headlights w/Silverstar lamps, Aluminum billet grill, Lund moonvisor, Black tube step bars, Bulldog keyless entry, Westin ultimate bull bar w/2 Baja 55w off road lights w/HID lamps

We contribute nothing to our salvation except the sin from which we need to be redeemed. – William Temple (English diplomat & author)

Proud Member of the God Squad 1992

#4 Old 04-18-2006, 06:38 AM
LowestForm

I just did mine, used a 22mm wrench on it. The hardest part was undoing/redoing the plug on top of the damn tranny. The O2 sensor came out really easy.

Darin
1997 Ram 1500 4x4 360cid
1993 Colt GL (4G63T equipped!)
#5 Old 04-19-2006, 07:53 AM
tgarrity

(Thread Starter)
Doesn't Make Sense

Thanks for the help with Oxygen Sensor. I got the special tool and it came off easily. However, the Bosch Oxygen Sensors that I got from the Auto store don't fit. The female end is round and the male end is square?! Did yall have to go to Dodge to get the right oxygen sensor? I've tried 4 other autoparts store, and they all have the same oxygen sensor
#6 Old 04-19-2006, 09:30 AM
LoudRam
Redneck Yankee

I bought mine at Auto Zone.

'01 Ram 1500 SLT Laramie 4x4 Quad Cab Debadged, 360 cubic inches of pure American muscle.
Performance Mods:Hypertech Power Programmer III, TB: Fins cut, ported and polished Intake: Ported and polished, runners cut down 5/8", 180 T-stat, Edelbrock Pro-Flo 1002, Magnaflow high flow cat and 3"SI/2.5"DO exhaust w/ 3" polished stainless tips, Plenum repaired w/ Hughes kit
Appearance Mods: Eagle wheels 16x8, 33" Toyo Open Country AT's (285/75), Diamond Back headlights w/Silverstar lamps, Aluminum billet grill, Lund moonvisor, Black tube step bars, Bulldog keyless entry, Westin ultimate bull bar w/2 Baja 55w off road lights w/HID lamps

We contribute nothing to our salvation except the sin from which we need to be redeemed. – William Temple (English diplomat & author)

#7 Old 04-19-2006, 09:38 AM
tgarrity

(Thread Starter)
I did as well, but the Oxygen Sensors they had in the computer at AutoZone were Bosch make.
The adapter end that you plug the Oxygen Sensor into is square, the Bosch was round, it wouldnt fit. I'm going to have to ge them from Dodge
#8 Old 04-19-2006, 09:41 AM
Silver_DodgeRam
Mmmmmmmmm, beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirenutt1969
.....I started the truck to get the pipe hot....
Wouldn't that actually cause the metal to expand and tighten around the threads, making it more difficult to remove?

2009 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, 5.7 Hemi, Crew - work in progress
2008 Chrysler Aspen 4x4, 5.7 Hemi, Loaded
#9 Old 04-19-2006, 09:52 AM
LoudRam
Redneck Yankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_DodgeRam
Wouldn't that actually cause the metal to expand and tighten around the threads, making it more difficult to remove?
I was thinking the pipe threads would heat up and expand a little. I believe metal contracts as it cools. I could be wrong, but it wouldn't come out when the pipe was cool either.

#10 Old 04-19-2006, 11:19 AM
mbret2004

You are correct to heat the pipe, metal expands when heated. It contracts when cooled. Another hint would be to wrap as close to the base of the sensor will a ball peen hammer to break the rust bond. Upon installation anti-seize will save you another headache later on.
#11 Old 04-19-2006, 01:41 PM
tgarrity

(Thread Starter)
Sorry, I think I miss-led some of you.
Im not talking about the threading where the Oxygen Sensor screws into the pipe. I'm talking about the Wiring Harness. The plastic part where the wires come off the oxygen sensor and plug into the wires that go to the computer.

The Bosch Oxygen sensors that I got from Autozone the plastc adapter was round. The wire that on the truck from the comptuer is square.

They wires dont fit together

I did notice that when I took my old oxygen sensors off, they were black
Thats not a good thing is it?
#12 Old 04-19-2006, 02:05 PM
Silver_DodgeRam
Mmmmmmmmm, beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbret2004
You are correct to heat the pipe, metal expands when heated. It contracts when cooled. Another hint would be to wrap as close to the base of the sensor will a ball peen hammer to break the rust bond. Upon installation anti-seize will save you another headache later on.
Yes, exaxtly, metal expands when heated. That would cause the threads to expand as well making the space between each thread smaller and tighter, thus making whatever it is you are trying to unscrew tighter. Why would you want to do that? In my opinion, you would not want the threads to be expanded, you would want them to be as contracted as possible so the threads and thread gap is a loose as possible (so it has room to move when you try to turn it).

2009 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, 5.7 Hemi, Crew - work in progress
2008 Chrysler Aspen 4x4, 5.7 Hemi, Loaded
#13 Old 04-19-2006, 04:33 PM
tgarrity

(Thread Starter)
its' going to cost me $200 for both sensors from dodge
#14 Old 04-20-2006, 08:49 AM
CBP ENGINEER

Summitracing has NGK sensors for under $50. Shipping will set you back another $10, but if you combine other small purchases, I think shipping will stay the same. I couldn't tell from their website if the sensor was universal for either the front or the back. You need to cross-reference their part numbers. Here are the numbers they have listed: NGK-23099 and NGK-23151.

99 Ram 1500 4X4 Quad Cab Long Bed
5.9L, Self-ported TB, 14" x 3" Air Filter, 180 T-Stat, Hypertech PPIII, TPS, AIT, CPK sensor mods,
46RE with Shift Kit, 3.5 Rears
90K miles

97 Caravan SE, 3.3L, 150K Miles

91 Spirit, 2.5L, 175K Miles and still going strong
#15 Old 04-20-2006, 11:19 AM
mbret2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_DodgeRam
Yes, exaxtly, metal expands when heated. That would cause the threads to expand as well making the space between each thread smaller and tighter, thus making whatever it is you are trying to unscrew tighter. Why would you want to do that? In my opinion, you would not want the threads to be expanded, you would want them to be as contracted as possible so the threads and thread gap is a loose as possible (so it has room to move when you try to turn it).
You are correct to a point. Without getting into a full blown thermodynamics lesson, here is the short story. Dissimilar metals generally expand when heated, cool when contracted. Now, when the same type of metals are joined (bolted, screwed together) they will heat and cool at the same rate as you stated. Here is how to get around it. To loosen metals in this case you need to keep one cooler than the other for the expansion to take place. On the 02 sensor, (since its bad and damaging it won't matter) heat it while the exhaust is cold. Hopefully it breaks loose before the heat transfers to the pipe, I'm pretty sure this will work. I have done it alot with success.
#16 Old 04-23-2006, 10:48 AM
bazookaman

tgarrity, I didn't see what year your dodge was, but it sounds like mine. I had the same prob with my O2 sensors. i bought 2001 O2 sensors for my 2001 Ram. However, the plugs were round on the harness and square on my truck. The solution? I had to buy 2002 O2 sensors...which have the square plug. Got the at Advance. At about double the cost of the 01s. Nice.

2001 Dodge Ram Off Road 1500 Sport 4x4 QC • 5.9L • K&N Intake • MSD Superconductor Wires • Echlin Cap & Rotor • NGK Plugs • Fastman Throttle Body • JBA Headers • Custom Y-pipe • Magnaflow Cat and Muffler • No steenking badges!
#17 Old 11-09-2006, 06:50 PM
cowboy1

hi all, have you replaced your Oxygen Sensor,s because the check engine light came on,and does it effect fuel use,,cheers Mitch
#18 Old 11-10-2006, 01:00 PM
jeepme79

From what I understand, it's not the heating as much as the cooling that makes breaks it loose. Once you heat the metal, as state earlier, the space between the threads gets smaller and tighter. When it cools is when the space opens up and hopefully breaks the bond.

However, in this case, just running the engine may not be enough, since the metal has already been heated/cooled from the same temp. A torch would have been better so you could get it much hotter.

2003 2500 CTD QC 4x4 6-speed
- Bully Dog Crazy Larry
- 295/70r17 Nitto's
- 380,000 on the clock
#19 Old 11-11-2006, 12:20 AM
abossram

Back to the 02 square plug versus round plug--as has been posted before-Chrysler saved some money by using what they had in stock and crossed over model years without telling anyone. So, I take the 02 sensor out of the vehicle to the napa or whatever parts store and show it to the counter person. They look up the year, model, engine and pull the WRONG sensor off the shelf. I then suggest that they look for the year prior truck and about 70% of the time, BINGO. Our local NAPA has complained to their headquarters and nothing happens of course. But I have, right or wrong, cut the wires and used the old connector without CELs or performance probs and my scanner sez all is well. So, try asking for a year or maybe two older 02 sensor and see if the connectors match that way. Good luck.
#20 Old 11-13-2006, 06:41 AM
MattV10Ram2500

Quote:
Originally Posted by abossram
Back to the 02 square plug versus round plug--as has been posted before-Chrysler saved some money by using what they had in stock and crossed over model years without telling anyone. So, I take the 02 sensor out of the vehicle to the napa or whatever parts store and show it to the counter person. They look up the year, model, engine and pull the WRONG sensor off the shelf. I then suggest that they look for the year prior truck and about 70% of the time, BINGO. Our local NAPA has complained to their headquarters and nothing happens of course. But I have, right or wrong, cut the wires and used the old connector without CELs or performance probs and my scanner sez all is well. So, try asking for a year or maybe two older 02 sensor and see if the connectors match that way. Good luck.
I also agree on this point. I had a trailer brake controller installed and they said I had the '94 wiring harness because the '95 had a stock connection for this type of thing and it wasn't there. A couple of other things like this have also shown up.
Closed Thread