Spark Plug change on 3.0? - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Vehicle Forums > Dodge Stratus Talk > Dodge Stratus 2nd Gen (01 - 06) > 2G Dodge Stratus - General Talk

Closed Thread

cardana24

Spark Plug change on 3.0? - Posted: 04-11-2006, 09:31 AM
Post #1

Hi,
I am new here. I have a friend with a 02 R/T Strat. He wants to have the plugs changed but he does not want to pay a shop to do it, so I am thinking about doing it for him...only thing is I have never worked on one of these cars. He has the 3.0 and it is unmodified. I under stand that you either need to take the plenum off or else wege it up to get to the rear plugs....but how do you get to that point? Is there a write up on changing spark plugs on the 3.0? Just curious as to how you take the plenum/anything else that needs to come off to change the rear plugs. Also what plugs and wires do you guys recomend? NGK? Since its a jap engine? Thanks for any help.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

01rt

Posted: 04-11-2006, 10:09 AM
Mopar nut
City: Central
State: VA
View This User's Gallery
Post #2

I did this recently. Remove the obvious bolts and 3-4 in the back. No fuel lines or anything. Just remove as you go, you will find it pretty easy. Use Iridums plugs and the best wires you can get. Took me 3 hours, which I hear is pretty standard for the 1st time. A friend of mine with a shop can do it in 1/2 an hour now.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

cardana24

Posted: 04-11-2006, 10:13 AM
Post #3

thanks for your reply man. I figured it would not be too hard, I was just hoping there was a write up that I could read over before I did it. You are not too far down the road from me....I'm in Charlottesville.

01rt

Posted: 04-11-2006, 02:55 PM
Mopar nut
View This User's Gallery
Post #4

There is a guy on *************** who says he's gonna do a picture write up this weekend. Give a hollar if you come East. We have a few 2gstratus.org guys around here.

01rt

Posted: 04-11-2006, 02:56 PM
Mopar nut
View This User's Gallery
Post #5

Ooooh, I got censored, dodge forum dot com

cardana24

Posted: 04-11-2006, 03:16 PM
Post #6

Yeah I posted on dodge forums too. Someone said he was going to take some pics this weekend. I will be doing this either friday night or Sat. morning so that will not help me a whole lot. I guess I will just wing it. As for meeting up with the Status guys, I don't drive one...this is just a friend of mine. I do run my maximas at Richmond Dragway if you are ever there.

01rt

Posted: 04-11-2006, 07:32 PM
Mopar nut
View This User's Gallery
Post #7

You'll be fine, just knowing that there are 3-4 bolts on the firewall side, take your time and all will be fine. Those racheting box wrenches will help too. If I remeber correctly you only need 2 sizes of wrenches. Oh, put anti-seize on the plug threads. Good luck.

cardana24

Posted: 04-12-2006, 10:45 AM
Post #8

Are there any coolant lines running thru the plenum? What about the distributor cap? Is that hard to get to? Does anyone have a pic of the engine bay of a 3.0 they could post. Thanks.

01rt

Posted: 04-12-2006, 05:49 PM
Mopar nut
View This User's Gallery
Post #9

No coolant lines, the cap is on the side, another pain.

cardana24

Posted: 04-12-2006, 09:33 PM
Post #10

great...I just told him I would do the cap and button too . Are there clear marks on the crank pulley to set the timing? What should the timing be set to on an 02 R/T?

I plan on taking the plenum and intake off, after that should the plugs and cap be straight foward? Also, which way do you tilt the plenum? I am guessing it lifts towards the front of the car and that will give you enough room to change the plugs.

01rt

Posted: 04-13-2006, 06:29 AM
Mopar nut
View This User's Gallery
Post #11

Toward the back. Don't know about the timig, I left it alone.

cardana24

Posted: 04-14-2006, 01:12 PM
Post #12

I decided to get any early start on it last night, and I can agree with you guys that its one B*&^% of a job!! How many things can possibly be bolted to the plenum...I think mitsubishi found out. The bolts on the back of the manifold were fine other than the one over by the emissions stuff, I could not get any leverage on it, and I was only able to use a 1/4 inch drive socket wrench since the head of the 3/8's was too big (it took about half an hour to finally break it loose). All those bolts on the rear are 12mm for future reference. If I remember correctly there are 3 attaching to some sort of mounting bracket and the other two are for the EGR.

I started out by taking the intake tubing out of the car...I must say you guys have it easy, that is the easiest intake I have ever taken off, its just one hose, one clamp around the TB, then just unclip the air box. After that I took the battery out of the car just to get more room on the distributor. After that I started taking out the 1 zillion bolts that hold eveything down. I found that everything I took off was either a 10mm or a 12mm, the sensor on the top of the plenum is held down by two 8mm bolts. And the plenum brace on the passenger side is held on by a 14mm. Anyway I finally took enough parts off of the manifold so that I could tilt it up towards the hood. I got the rear plugs changed and the wires run. Then the front was cake compaired to the rear. This is the point where I left off lastnight (it was 2:30 a.m.). Today I just need to try to remember where all the bolts and ground straps go to get it back together. I am guessing it will take about another hour to get everything back together, so you guys were pretty good with your estimate of three hours, because I only have a little over 2 hours in the job...two + painful hours and cut up hands.

Also something worth noting is that you guys do have coolant lines running thru the bottom of your TB, so you may want to be carful you do not mess those up when you are changing the plugs. Luckily they seem to have enough play to get the job done with out taking them off.

I'll try to post again when I am actually finished the job, so I can add some more helpful info for anyone else trying to do plugs and wires them selves.

cardana24

Posted: 04-17-2006, 12:21 PM
Post #13

everything went back together much easier than it did when I took it off. I spent about an hour on putting everything back tother and making sure noting was pinched. I had no left over bolts at the end, so that is a good sign , it cranked right up with the first turn of the key. I don't know how the car ran before, but it seems to be running nice and smooth now.
Closed Thread