What grade gasoline do you use in your R/T - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Vehicle Forums > Dodge Charger Talk (06 - Up) > Dodge Charger (06-Up) - General Talk

View Poll Results: What grade gasoline do you use in your R/T?
Regular 40 34.78%
Middle grade 48 41.74%
Premium 27 23.48%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

birddog

What grade gasoline do you use in your R/T - Posted: 04-07-2006, 01:40 PM
City: NJ
Post #1

The owners manual recommends 89 octane, but states that the car will run perfectly well on 87. I have read that, if your car does not knock with regular, paying extra for higher octane is simply a waste of money.

As I recall (I don’t have the owners manual in front of me) it said that if you use regular, the car will automatically adjust to it – which I suspect is nonsense.

My understanding is, higher octane prevents premature ignition (knocking), if you don’t have knocking with regular, adding higher octane adds no value.

With regular, my RT is not knocking, even accelerating well beyond the speed limit, up hill on the interstate. (I tried it once when the road was empty )… So I use regular.

Will the car run better with 89?

What are the rest of you using?
Advertisement

RadarmagneT

Posted: 04-08-2006, 07:59 AM
City: Raleigh
State: NC
Post #2

I use 91 now because I have the Superchips tune for that.

I've tried all three before the tune, and I can honestly say... I couldn't tell any difference. With stock R/T... just use 87.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

COCharger

Posted: 04-11-2006, 02:30 AM
MOPAR Fan Forever
City: Westminster
State: CO
Post #3

You are correct about the higher octane preventing "premature ignition". That is why motors with higher compressions require higher octane. Here in the mile high metro area, it is rare to find 89 octane, most stations usually have 85, 87, and 91. I use the 87. Since our air is less dense than down at sea level, we in a sense have less compression and the 87 works just fine.

Still don't understand what the chip would do to "eek out" performance with a higher octane gas since your compression doesn't change. Can anyone enlighten?
2006 Charger Daytona R/T -+- #1740 of 4000
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

birddog

Posted: 04-11-2006, 09:05 AM
Post #4

My first reaction to that statement (the engine will automatically adjust to 87) was the same "What is it going to do, lower the compression?" I guess what it could do, if anything is adjust the timing. Though I still doubt that any such adjustment is really made.

Last edited by birddog : 04-11-2006 at 01:40 PM.

Richie_Rich

Posted: 04-11-2006, 08:18 PM
City: St. Louis, MO
State: MO
Post #5

I just took a trip in my car last weekend. Put about 1K miles on the car. I ran 87 octane and was very happy with the performance.
Maybe in the summer, I'll fill up with premium and see if there is a difference.

TopBanana_102

Don't Use Cheap Gas - Posted: 05-31-2006, 09:47 PM
Post #6

I use the recommended "89". In CT we generally have 87, 89, 91 and 93 available at the pump.

Guys, you're not saving that much money using the crap-gas.

For example, let's assume 15,000miles/year, and let's further assume the same mileage using 87 or 89 (15mpg), and how about guessing that the price difference is 5¢ per gallon, your "SAVINGS" is:
15,000miles ÷ 15mpg = 1000gallons * $0.05 (5cents) = $50.00 saved per year. B-F-D!!!

The "low-down" on engine compensating for gas -- it all depends on whether the system is detecting early detonation. If it is, then the computer can advance/retard spark as require depending on conditions and load. Relying on computer compensation for detonation is not wise. HEAVY knocking is what you hear...however, even slight knocking (that which you cannot hear but the computer can detect) over time can cause problems.

Basically, if your 87 or 89 grade is a few pennies different, then the $$ you save using "cheap" gas may not offset the potential damage that early detonation can cause. Engine repair will certainly cost more !!!

Glenn
"Top Banana" #0102 of 4000

Last edited by TopBanana_102 : 05-31-2006 at 09:51 PM. Reason: missing verbs

dhermesc

Posted: 06-22-2006, 05:30 PM
Post #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopBanana_102
The "low-down" on engine compensating for gas -- it all depends on whether the system is detecting early detonation. If it is, then the computer can advance/retard spark as require depending on conditions and load. Relying on computer compensation for detonation is not wise. HEAVY knocking is what you hear...however, even slight knocking (that which you cannot hear but the computer can detect) over time can cause problems.

Easiest thing to do is track your mileage. If the computer is retarding spark to much (even if you can't hear a slight ping) it will show up in your mileage.

The problem you are going to run into is that the the pump may say 89 or 91 octane but it's actually pumping 87 I've run into this a lot with my 67 Mustang. Put anything less then 91 Octane in it and it pings like H3!!, theres no point in paying for the higher grade at a couple stations because you're getting 87. Took a while to figure this out when the car would run fine for a week or two then suddenly start pinging for no reason. Of the four stations in my area charging for it, I think only one is truly selling 91 octane.

thunder63cs

Posted: 07-01-2006, 09:13 AM
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
View This User's Dyno Entries
Post #8

if that is the case report them for it cause it is illeagal as all get out .

ftino

Posted: 09-01-2006, 05:55 PM
Post #9

Maybe its just me but my car hesitates when i run 87 octane. I get no hesitation at all when I run 91. At first I thought they all hesitated a bit but when I started using 91 after 2 tanks it went away. But if your car runs fine on 87 then dont waste your money. You just may never know unless you run a tank or two of super.

Red R/T

Richie_Rich

Posted: 09-01-2006, 09:41 PM
City: St. Louis, MO
State: MO
Post #10

Interesting...
I'll have to check that out.

Mine hesitates too and I use 87

fontman

Posted: 09-28-2006, 09:10 PM
City: Jacksonville, NC
State: NC
View This User's Gallery
Post #11

Mine loves 93 octane...very much...

Wel worth the extra 30 cents/gallon, IMHO!

Former Moderator at DodgeTalk.com and 9-Year Member
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T, Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl

“There are only two kinds of people that understand U.S. Marines ~ Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.”

birddog

Interesting - Posted: 09-29-2006, 12:58 PM
Post #12

Since dhermesc suggested watching the gas mileage, I have. I have put in 6 consecutive tanks of 87 and six of 89 and there has been no significant difference in mileage between the two.. my mileage has been slightly better using 87.

Then, just about the same time ftino mentioned hesitation, I noticed it twice while running 87. I went back to 89 and have not noticed it again yet. I don't believe that this has anything to do with the octane though since 87 actually burns a little faster than 89... hmmm

Hudson-50

Posted: 10-20-2006, 09:25 PM
Post #13

I just got a new Charger this week.It goes in the shop next week for hesitation problems.The 5.7 has two spark plugs per cylinder ,it fires the first one at top dead center the other one half way down,I'll see what excuse they have

06chargersxt

Posted: 10-23-2006, 05:03 PM
Post #14

dont have R/T but
use 93 0ctane car runs
better.

Ferreiro

Posted: 12-30-2006, 09:12 PM
City: Carolina, Puerto Rico
Post #15

Over here gas stations only have 87 or 93 octane gas. I've solely used 87 on my Daytona and it doesn't seem to hurt it.

UnionPrez06

Cold Air Intake - Posted: 02-22-2007, 08:02 PM
Post #16

I noticed the cold air intake swap out on your SXT. What kind of difference did you notice?

Mopar Ernie

Exclamation  Posted: 02-23-2007, 12:56 PM
Buy American
City: LaGrange
State: IL
View This User's Gallery
Post #17

I had a PT Cruiser GT (turbo). The little 4 banger puts out 215hp. This was a continual question with GT owners, what octane of gasoline.

The computer in your vehicle will retard the engine on 87 octane. That means the vehicle will be slower and use more gasoline.

So if you want your powerful engine to perform properly, give you the most performance, and give you the "lowest-cost-per-mile" then follow the manufactures suggestion.

I tried all three grades (87, 89 & 93) in the PT and the mileage, performance, and cost-per-mile was best with the 93.

I put 87 in my Neon, the Avanti gets 89 (mild cam & shaved head), and the Miata gets the 93 as recommended.

2013 Dart Limited - Redline with black leather interior, 2.0 Auto-Stick, 1.4 OEM dual exhaust, Injen chrome cold air kit, plastic covers under hood painted redline, MADE IN ILLINOIS by an American Company.

06chargersxt

Posted: 05-24-2007, 01:04 AM
Post #18

unionprez06
throttle response is better
pulls harder in upper rpm's

340duster

Posted: 07-30-2007, 01:14 PM
View This User's Garage
View This User's Timeslip
Post #19

We run 87 in the Charger, never noticed a difference with either 89 or 93. My Dakota though, gets much better mileage on 93. Every motor is different, some will gain with 93, some won't.
2007 Jeep Compass <--Poor choices on my part letting my wife have what she wanted.

DON'T YOU DARE BRING LOGIC AND IMPARTIALITY TO AN INTERNET FORUM!

Mr.Al's Daytona

Posted: 11-30-2007, 07:08 PM
City: Edmonton
State: AB
Post #20

I use mid grade (89) in my 3.5L. No problems so far. My manual says that premium gas for the engine is not recommended.
Silver 2005 Dodge Ram QC Daytona #2858

New Ride:
2007 Charger - Blue, 3.5L HO, auto, air, pw, pl and traction control

Bought on November 24, 2007
Closed Thread