Removing a lockable glove box door latch without the key? - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 04-06-2006, 02:11 PM
Jimal Temus
Hi-O Silver, Away!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Removing a lockable glove box door latch without the key?

My replacement glove box door arrived yesterday, but I can't figure out how to disassemble/remove the lock knob without destroying anything. Of course the glove box came without a key. Am I looking at breaking out the die grinder? How do I remove the knob from my non-lockable glove box latch while I'm at it? Surprise, surprise, the Haynes manual doesn't cover this.

Thanks,
Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-06-2006, 03:40 PM
mtthwvn73

lol...if it was me, i'd would definatly call whoever you bought this off of, and see if they have the key. I don't know much about dodge glove boxes, but on the ford's there's little plasic nuts that hold the glove box lock on the glove box.
#3 Old 04-06-2006, 05:53 PM
Jimal Temus
Hi-O Silver, Away!

(Thread Starter)
The lock is held onto the glove box door with two Phillps head screws, but in order to remove the lock you also have to remove the knob, which must be clipped in some how. The knob in my truck has a very small hole in the center of it. I assume that will release the knob from the latch assembly.

Thanks,
Jim
#4 Old 04-06-2006, 06:04 PM
mtthwvn73

lol..i don't really know, haven't ever worked on one, i was just thinking about the way the old fords worked, sorry
matt
#5 Old 04-06-2006, 09:45 PM
Jimal Temus
Hi-O Silver, Away!

(Thread Starter)
Talking Got It!

Took me a while, but I finally figured out how to take apart the latches. Swapped everything over to the new glove box door, and installed it in the truck. One more thing off the checklist...

Jim
#6 Old 04-06-2006, 09:50 PM
mtthwvn73

cool...how did ya do it? how did it come off?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.