Removing a lockable glove box door latch without the key? - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Vintage Dodge Truck Forums > 1972-1987 Dodge Ram Trucks (D, W-series)

Closed Thread

Jimal Temus

Removing a lockable glove box door latch without the key? - Posted: 04-06-2006, 01:11 PM
Hi-O Silver, Away!
City: New Milford, CT
Post #1

My replacement glove box door arrived yesterday, but I can't figure out how to disassemble/remove the lock knob without destroying anything. Of course the glove box came without a key. Am I looking at breaking out the die grinder? How do I remove the knob from my non-lockable glove box latch while I'm at it? Surprise, surprise, the Haynes manual doesn't cover this.

Thanks,
Jim
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

mtthwvn73

Posted: 04-06-2006, 02:40 PM
Post #2

lol...if it was me, i'd would definatly call whoever you bought this off of, and see if they have the key. I don't know much about dodge glove boxes, but on the ford's there's little plasic nuts that hold the glove box lock on the glove box.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

Jimal Temus

Posted: 04-06-2006, 04:53 PM
Hi-O Silver, Away!
Post #3

The lock is held onto the glove box door with two Phillps head screws, but in order to remove the lock you also have to remove the knob, which must be clipped in some how. The knob in my truck has a very small hole in the center of it. I assume that will release the knob from the latch assembly.

Thanks,
Jim

mtthwvn73

Posted: 04-06-2006, 05:04 PM
Post #4

lol..i don't really know, haven't ever worked on one, i was just thinking about the way the old fords worked, sorry
matt

Jimal Temus

Talking Got It! - Posted: 04-06-2006, 08:45 PM
Hi-O Silver, Away!
Post #5

Took me a while, but I finally figured out how to take apart the latches. Swapped everything over to the new glove box door, and installed it in the truck. One more thing off the checklist...

Jim

mtthwvn73

Posted: 04-06-2006, 08:50 PM
Post #6

cool...how did ya do it? how did it come off?
Closed Thread