03 won't take gas - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP DODGETALK MERCHANDISE ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Vehicle Forums > Dodge Caravan/Grand Caravan Talk > Dodge Caravan General Talk

Closed Thread

GHOST35

03 won't take gas - Posted: 03-29-2006, 09:25 PM
Post #1

Wow, do I need some help here. I can't get my van to auto pump at the gas station. I have to hold the handle at the lowest possible point to get the gas in the tank. It takes about 4 minutes to get $10 worth. Anyone have any ideas. I was thinking maybe somebody dumped something in it, but I can't find any evidence of such a happening. I heard someone say it was maybe the float sticking??? I don't even know what "float" is in the tank or why it wouldn't let the gas go in. Now I am running out of gas at half a tank. I hope for your sake, no one else is having this problem. But, I sure would like to know your ideas on how to fix this. Thanks
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

flyingwolf

Posted: 03-30-2006, 12:07 AM
Post #2

Well the not being able to put gas in it would be the evaporative system clogged up, as far as the running out of gas I would say stuck float also.

I would certainly have this checked out quick like.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

acton mike

Posted: 03-30-2006, 04:52 AM
City: acton ontario
Post #3

I gather the fue pump nozzle keeps clicking off

he venting system of the tank is blocked.

That is all that I can offer at this point as my vehicles are too old to have a complicated tank venting system.

Someone with a newer vehicle can give you more help but that is the starting point - i.e., the vapour venting system for the fuel tank

GHOST35

Posted: 03-30-2006, 07:23 AM
Post #4

Thanks for the input. Is there a backyard fix or are these shop problems?

gas28man

Posted: 03-30-2006, 10:16 AM
City: Smyrna, TN
State: TN
Post #5

The evaporative system usually consists of some hoses leading from the top of the fuel tank, to a filter/canister, usually mounted under the vehicle or under the hood (it's under the driver's seat on my 96, and a good place to start swapping junkyard parts if that's what you want to do, although good luck finding an 03 in the junkyard), and then more hoses that lead up to the throttle body where the vapors are introduced into the fuel stream to be burned.

I agree with the other posters: you have two problems, a clogged evap system, probably at the canister, and a stuck float inside the gas tank. These are not normal problems for this type of vehicle. To have them both happen together goes beyond coincidence. I'm almost certain something got dumped in there that shouldn't have been. This will not be cheap either. At a minimum, you will need a new fuel pump (since the float is integral with it) and probably an evap canister. The pump probably runs about $300, and I wouldn't even venture a guess at a canister. Then add on the labor, plus cleaning out your tank and lines.

Sorry, man. If you're any good at DIY stuff you can probably save yourself a lot on this job, though.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide to do.

Rick
Closed Thread