Magnum R/T Tune Up? - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 02-12-2006, 06:38 PM
w5blt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Magnum R/T Tune Up?

Although I'm not close to having the mileage to have a tune up yet, I was wondering if anyone else has? If so and if you had the dealer do it, what did it cost you? What mileage did you get it done at?

I'm only at about 12K mi but I thought that I remembered that somewhere I read that the tuneup wasn't due until about 100K. That just sounds impossible.

Bob
2005 Magnum R/T
, Adopted 10/12/04, Magnesium Pearl, Navigation System w/6 CD, Protection Group, Electronics Group, Trailer Tow Group, Convenience Group II, Smokers Group, Power Sunroof, UConnect, Heater exterior rear view mirrors, Extended Warrenty, Sirius Radio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-12-2006, 07:58 PM
nikdfish

Take a look at the owners manual, in addition to various & sundry other items and services, We get to change those 16 plugs every 30,000 miles...

Nick
#3 Old 02-13-2006, 12:22 PM
FloridaRT
Florida Magnum RT

I would not trust my local dealer with my Magnum to do any maintenance, PERIOD!

And they are supposed to be a 5 star dealer!

Bob

Florida Bob, 68, Ocala, Florida,05' Magnum RT with flowmaster mufflers, Danko Shaker Hood, Superchips Flashpaq, Danko Predator Grill. Danko chin spoiler. AAC Halos, 180 Thermostat, No-ESP coolit mod, Under hood light, glove box light, Tu-Tone tails and splash guards by Ernie, and much more.
#4 Old 02-13-2006, 09:28 PM
magnuman

AMEN, Bob. I wouldn't trust mine either, and they're actually not too bad to deal with. I let them do warantee work or accessory install (back up sensors, trailer hitch) only. If they screw that up it doesn't affect the rest of the vehicle....I hope.

Someone on another forum said they paid about $300 at the dealer, and they wanted to do a bunch of other un-needed work. They're easy to change though....all easily accessible. Sixteen spark plugs, spark plug socket, 10 inch extension, a set of metric sockets (for the coil packs), and a torque wrench and you're good to go. Don't get some fancy plugs either. Most say they're a waste of money, and the system was apparently designed to use the standard type plugs. You may want to do a search here, and check the other forums for more detailed info.

Last edited by magnuman; 02-13-2006 at 09:34 PM.
#5 Old 02-14-2006, 07:03 AM
MagnumXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuman
AMEN, Bob. I wouldn't trust mine either, and they're actually not too bad to deal with. I let them do warantee work or accessory install (back up sensors, trailer hitch) only. If they screw that up it doesn't affect the rest of the vehicle....I hope.

Someone on another forum said they paid about $300 at the dealer, and they wanted to do a bunch of other un-needed work. They're easy to change though....all easily accessible. Sixteen spark plugs, spark plug socket, 10 inch extension, a set of metric sockets (for the coil packs), and a torque wrench and you're good to go. Don't get some fancy plugs either. Most say they're a waste of money, and the system was apparently designed to use the standard type plugs. You may want to do a search here, and check the other forums for more detailed info.
Sixteen Spark Plugs??? I guess I need to look under my hood, I thought there are eight spark plugs???
#6 Old 02-14-2006, 10:16 AM
FloridaRT
Florida Magnum RT

There are 2 plugs per cylender, so it is 16 spark plugs to replace.

Do not forget to apply some anti-seize to the spark plug threads, to prevent them from getting frozen to the heads.

Bob

Florida Bob, 68, Ocala, Florida,05' Magnum RT with flowmaster mufflers, Danko Shaker Hood, Superchips Flashpaq, Danko Predator Grill. Danko chin spoiler. AAC Halos, 180 Thermostat, No-ESP coolit mod, Under hood light, glove box light, Tu-Tone tails and splash guards by Ernie, and much more.
#7 Old 02-14-2006, 11:05 AM
magnuman

Good call, Bob. I forgot to add that.
#8 Old 02-14-2006, 08:27 PM
MagnumXIII

Thanks! Yeah, I looked under the hood and I see that the second plug is buried under the coil pack. Sure do appreciate the info!

Now, is everyone just going with the factory plugs?
#9 Old 02-14-2006, 10:10 PM
Padre Dave
Hemi Driving Pastor!

I had a local independent garage do my 36,000 mile spark plug change. They do my oil changes too (I buy the Mobil 1 and my own K&N filter, they charge labor only).

I have had dealers do only those things that DC pays for.

Padre Dave

The Lord bless and keep you in all your coming and going!

Oh, and GO PACKERS!
#10 Old 02-15-2006, 07:52 AM
FloridaRT
Florida Magnum RT

Stock spark plugs are the way to go.

Bob

#11 Old 02-17-2006, 07:26 PM
lil_hemi

i guess i shoud be happy to work on my sons 65 mustang with a 289 huhh lol

2005 Magnum
JBA catback
now superchips

1965 Mustang
289 bored 30 over
mild cam,long tubes,
edelbrock intake,holly 4 barrell 600 cfm carb
40 series flowmasters
power steering , power breaks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.