Another Dodge problem. Windshield Leaking Bad - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 3rd Gen (02 – 08) Forums > 3G Dodge RAM - General Talk

Closed Thread

db682

Another Dodge problem. Windshield Leaking Bad - Posted: 02-03-2006, 10:26 PM
City: Gainesville
State: FL
View This User's Garage
Post #1

Well, here in lovely florida the rain never stops. Today it was especially bad. I go out to my truck to get ready to go to dinner and my girlfriend says that everything on her side is wet. I go around and sure enough, the floors soaked the mats soaked, water all down the pillar, water leaking out of the covers for the screws in the pillar handle, dash vent has water in it and the kick panel and everything behind is soaked.
I wiped it down and went to dinner since it was to late to do anything, get home it starts pouring again. after the rain slows I go out and check and it freakin drentched. I think its a leak in the windshield gasket/seal but Im definitly gonna raise hell at the dealer tomarrow. I bearly drive the thing, had since about august and it only has 4000 miles on it since I carpool and use the buses alot for work and school. ****ing rediculous.
Dodge had this problem with the 02's and I guess they have it with the 05's as well. I checked everything around the area, Doorseal and windowseal are perfect, only thing looking suspect is the window gasket.

Anybody else with having this problem?

db

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram Crew Cab 4x4 Sport
Powerplant: 5.7L Hemi
OEM fully Loaded!!!

University of Florida
School of Building Construction Alumni
GO GATORS!!!
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ram3500Dually

Posted: 02-03-2006, 10:55 PM
Administrator
City: Windsor Ontario Canada
State: OTHER
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
View This User's Timeslip
View Member's FaceBook Profile
Post #2

Got a sunroof?

2013 Ram 3500 CTD 6.7L 6 Speed Aisin, 4:10 LSD

2005 Jeep Liberty Sport

1991 Shadow ES Turbo Convertible

1984 Mini-Ram Van (Show Van) **TOTM April 2007** In museum now

73 Pro Street Duster.**VOTM July 2008/ April 2011**

1951 Dodge 3 Window Business Coupe **VOTM Feb 2011**

1992 Custom Built Harley FXSTC Show Bike

2008 Harley FLHTCU Ultra Classic

DodgeTalk Administrator

CTD Enthusiast Club Member #02

Names Carl, if you cut me I bleed Mopar Blue

Past Trucks: 90 CC Dually CTD, 94 RC LB CTD, 95 CC SB 5.2L gas, 98 QC Dually CTD, 00 QC Dually CTD, 01 QC Off Road, 03 QC Dually CTD, 05 QC Dually CTD, 08 Dually CTD **ROTM April 2008**,10 CC Dually CTD,

SUPPORT THOSE WHO SUPPORT DODGETALK

View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

db682

Posted: 02-03-2006, 11:07 PM
View This User's Garage
Post #3

Yeah but everything around the sunroof is dry . The only place where the headliner is wet is right in the passenger side front corner. I think the water is running down the pillar and just flooding everything in its way.

OEM fully Loaded!!!

University of Florida
GO GATORS!!!

FreeLantz

Posted: 02-03-2006, 11:09 PM
Retired DT Admin
City: Meadows Place
State: TX
Post #4

In the fall of '01 when the new Rams first hit the market, I was a newbie car salesman showing a customer the trucks on a rainy afternoon. The skies had just cleared out enough for us to walk the lot and select a truck this particular customer was interested in. It was a single cab, V6, base model truck. He seemed pretty interested in it so I went inside and got the keys and came back out to take a test drive with him. Of course I was supposed to drive first, so I hopped into the driver's seat to fire up the truck, and SPLASH!!! The whole seat was filled with water (the plastic cover on the seat had collected it like a bowl) My a$$ was soaked and the customer was laughing hysterically. Needless to say, he didn't buy a truck, and I went home early to put my pants in the dryer!

So, yeah.... I have heard of this problem before. And it was in '02 trucks. I haven't seen or heard of it happening on a regular basis with the newer Rams.

DodgeTalk Decals For Sale

AIR_RAM

Posted: 02-03-2006, 11:15 PM
City: Homestead Florida
View This User's Garage
Post #5

Did you check your door seal to make sure that it was not leaking from the door itself. A freind of mine had his truck broken into, they used some type of PRY bar to open the door... needless to say the door never did seal corectly after that.

Is it possible someone tried to Pry your door open?

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

db682

Posted: 02-03-2006, 11:15 PM
View This User's Garage
Post #6

David,
Do you think that this is something the dealer should fix without any problems?

OEM fully Loaded!!!

University of Florida
GO GATORS!!!

db682

Posted: 02-03-2006, 11:18 PM
View This User's Garage
Post #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR_RAM
Did you check your door seal to make sure that it was not leaking from the door itself. A freind of mine had his truck broken into, they used some type of PRY bar to open the door... needless to say the door never did seal corectly after that.

Is it possible someone tried to Pry your door open?

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM
Doorseal is mint. That was the first thing I checked since alot of people were having there seals eaten away by the edge of the door.

OEM fully Loaded!!!

University of Florida
GO GATORS!!!

Ram3500Dually

Posted: 02-03-2006, 11:21 PM
Administrator
Post #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by db682
Yeah but everything around the sunroof is dry . The only place where the headliner is wet is right in the passenger side front corner. I think the water is running down the pillar and just flooding everything in its way.
Its the sunroof drain tube that runs down the A Pillar. I will pretty much guarantee it

2005 Jeep Liberty Sport

DodgeTalk Administrator

Past Trucks: 90 CC Dually CTD, 94 RC LB CTD, 95 CC SB 5.2L gas, 98 QC Dually CTD, 00 QC Dually CTD, 01 QC Off Road, 03 QC Dually CTD, 05 QC Dually CTD, 08 Dually CTD **ROTM April 2008**,10 CC Dually CTD,

db682

Posted: 02-03-2006, 11:24 PM
View This User's Garage
Post #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram3500Dually
Its the sunroof drain tube that runs down the A Pillar. I will pretty much guarantee it
Please tell me you have a quick fix. I really didnt want a sunroof because of the problems they have a tendency of causing. The sunroof is closed, I checked that too.

OEM fully Loaded!!!

University of Florida
GO GATORS!!!

FreeLantz

Posted: 02-03-2006, 11:28 PM
Retired DT Admin
City: Meadows Place
Post #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by db682
David,
Do you think that this is something the dealer should fix without any problems?
Yes, I would say this qualifies as a warranty issue unless it's due to something you or someone else modified on the vehicle, or someone trying to pry open the door as was stated already.

DodgeTalk Decals For Sale

Ram3500Dually

Posted: 02-03-2006, 11:28 PM
Administrator
Post #11

Known problem for sunroofs. All sunroofs leak. They put a tube down each window pillar to direct the water out and under the vehicle. You tube has either fallen off or broken. You will have to drop the headliner to find it. I would let the dealer fix it.

2005 Jeep Liberty Sport

DodgeTalk Administrator

RENTALWHITEHEMI

Posted: 02-04-2006, 02:34 AM
City: Wareham
State: MA
View This User's Gallery
Post #12

Quote:
Known problem for sunroofs. All sunroofs leak. They put a tube down each window pillar to direct the water out and under the vehicle. You tube has either fallen off or broken. You will have to drop the headliner to find it. I would let the dealer fix it.
I used to install power moon roofs and have seen the drain tubes leak. They usually pop off where they connect to the roof. If that was the case, I would expect the headliner to be wet as well. To prevent this from happening, I would use just a little RTV to hold the tubes in place. I guess that if a drain tube had a hole or slit, somewhere inside the pillar, you would get the kind of water you're describing.
COIN HOLDERS ASSOCIATION MEMBER #3000

Proud Member of the White Truck Club (#120)
MODS:
AIR=RAM=>
REAR WHEEL WELL LINERS
TSB 18-041-04
COIN HOLDER
JET STREAM POWER SCOOP
POWER WIRE
MUD FLAPS
TONAEU COVER
MOPAR STEP BARS
ASHTRAY/CUP HOLDER LIGHT
HELLA 500'S BEHIND GRILL
DIEHARD PLATINUM BATTERY

SIRIUS SATELLITE RECEIVER

cutting edge

Posted: 02-04-2006, 08:45 AM
City: katy
Post #13

i own an autoglass co. in Houston first look and see what brand of glass is in your truck it should say SAFEGUARD in the middle on bottom or in either bottom corner let me know, if it does not say SAFEGUARD it has been replaced let me know and i can tell you some other things to look for ....
20" MB Bruzer
air raid cai
motive 4.10's
180 t-stat
air ram power wire
air ram jet stream
monroe reflex[front]
monroe sensatrac with spring on them[rear]

2 inch lowering shackles

db682

Posted: 02-04-2006, 10:39 AM
View This User's Garage
Post #14

Thanks but its to late. I dropped it off at the dealer this morning and they going to fix it. Whatever it is. I also have a dent in the front drivers side fender(from some fat little 17 year old girl in a civic who doenst know how to drive) that I needed wacked out so Im gonna get that done while its there also (through an outside paintless dent repair guy of course)

And of course the dealer was clueless about any of the TSB's that I mentioned while there.

OEM fully Loaded!!!

University of Florida
GO GATORS!!!

cutting edge

Posted: 02-04-2006, 04:08 PM
City: katy
Post #15

cool good luck if it dont work let me know,also make sure they dry out under carpet or it will smell like mold that insulation takes a long time to dry out.....
20" MB Bruzer
air raid cai
motive 4.10's
180 t-stat
air ram power wire
air ram jet stream
monroe reflex[front]
monroe sensatrac with spring on them[rear]

2 inch lowering shackles

usmcrob

Posted: 02-04-2006, 08:42 PM
Code 3 Rammer
City: Austin
Post #16

Somthing else that you might want to look at.....There is (al least on my 03) a run off drain for the wiper area (for lack of a better term). It has a one way valve on the bottom that is supposed to only let water drain out. If you have any debris in the drain or the one way valve is pushed up through the drain (it is only a flapper), then the drain will fill up and over flow in to the dash area and down in to the floorboards. I had this happen and was about to have my windshield replaced, when some very knowledgeable windshield repair guy said, "let me check this first".....sure enough, it was plugged with some leaves and the flapper was pushed up through.

Just food for thought, and you might want to ask your dealership to check it out.
2003 1500 QC SLT 4x4, Bright White, Off Road Package, 4.7L Auto Transmission, 3.92 LSD Rear End, 40 Series Flowmaster Cat-Back, Airaid Air Intake, Superchips Tuner, Stars & Stripes Grill Insert and Tail Light Covers, 2" TB Crank, Rancho RS5000 Shocks, BFG 315/70/R17 AT's, BedRug, NGK Iridium IX Plugs, AMSOIL Fluids All Around

God Squad 1983-forever

"Off-Road" Package Club Member #5
Trucks & Guns Club Member #8
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wonderng if they made a difference.
The MARINES don't have that problem."

President Ronald Reagan - 1985

Ram3500Dually

Posted: 02-05-2006, 12:11 AM
Administrator
Post #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcrob
Somthing else that you might want to look at.....There is (al least on my 03) a run off drain for the wiper area (for lack of a better term). It has a one way valve on the bottom that is supposed to only let water drain out. If you have any debris in the drain or the one way valve is pushed up through the drain (it is only a flapper), then the drain will fill up and over flow in to the dash area and down in to the floorboards. I had this happen and was about to have my windshield replaced, when some very knowledgeable windshield repair guy said, "let me check this first".....sure enough, it was plugged with some leaves and the flapper was pushed up through.

Just food for thought, and you might want to ask your dealership to check it out.
That wouldn't cause his headliner to be wet. I will bet dollars to donuts its the sunroof drain.

2005 Jeep Liberty Sport

DodgeTalk Administrator

RENTALWHITEHEMI

Posted: 02-05-2006, 12:22 AM
City: Wareham
State: MA
View This User's Gallery
Post #18

Quote:
That wouldn't cause his headliner to be wet. I will bet dollars to donuts its the sunroof drain.
I had to re-read his complaint. I though he said there was no wetness in headliner. Now I see that yes there is dampness at passenger side front corner. I'm right there with ya on the drain tube. Probably popped off or isn't sealed to moon roof drain port correctly.
COIN HOLDERS ASSOCIATION MEMBER #3000

Proud Member of the White Truck Club (#120)
MODS:
AIR=RAM=>
REAR WHEEL WELL LINERS
TSB 18-041-04
COIN HOLDER
JET STREAM POWER SCOOP
POWER WIRE
MUD FLAPS
TONAEU COVER
MOPAR STEP BARS
ASHTRAY/CUP HOLDER LIGHT
HELLA 500'S BEHIND GRILL
DIEHARD PLATINUM BATTERY

SIRIUS SATELLITE RECEIVER

db682

Posted: 02-08-2006, 02:36 PM
View This User's Garage
Post #19

Now I curious, I called dodge today, after they had it since friday and they said that the truck wasnt there that they had it at a shop in town that performs cabin pressure test to trace leaks. Now how the hell are they gonna do a cabin pressure test when I know that these trucks are nowhere near air tight. I was told to call back later for more insite.
I called just now and they said they found a leak on the third brake light seal and said its fairly common on these trucks. I asked how the water got to the front passenger side pillar and they said it took the lowest possible path on the roof and ended up there, runnin down the pillar to the carpet. There drying it now and said it should be done after ionizing it out tonight.

Does this sound right to anybody? Its a weird story and Im not even sure they dropped the head liner to check the drain tubes like I asked. When I mentioned the tubes again he was quick to change the subject.

OEM fully Loaded!!!

University of Florida
GO GATORS!!!

B][GT

Posted: 02-08-2006, 03:24 PM
State: BC
View This User's Garage
Post #20

this is a well know problem.. they jsut aint telling you. Its a leak from the seams where the upper coloum and the cab join, they didnt use enuff body filler when they built the truck, and waters coming in thru there. the fix.. pull the winshield, re-seal it, re-apply the windshield.

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2004/23-003-04.htm

They will jsut try to reseal it... When mine started leaking, i made a few trips to the dealer, and they use'd some silicone, clear stuff. Didnt work, so back i went. This time they kicked me over to a glass shop, where they told me they used the wrong silicon. Some type's are corosive, and eat metal. The stuff they use'd was, and i already had rust around all the lil screw holes. So they peeled all teh silicone off, and use'd that black sticky crap.. i forgot what they called it. They put lil dab's on each screw hole, along the hole seem, and put it back together. That worked.. for a few weeks. But back it came. I was pissed by now.. back i went. I didnt mention this.. but my local dealer is 4hrs away. this time, they found that it was leaking at the top corners of the windshield, and apply'd more of that black glass shop goo.. along the top edge of teh windshield, and the body seem, re-applied on the screw's, and i havent had a leak now, in a year and half.

Soory for the long winded speal..but i know what your going thru.. and it brought back all my fond memories.