4 wheel on the fly shift question - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP DODGETALK MERCHANDISE ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 2nd Gen (94 01) Forums > 2G Dodge RAM - General Talk

Closed Thread

mikiepeters

4 wheel on the fly shift question - Posted: 03-19-2003, 07:30 AM
City: Menomonee Falls,
State: WI
Post #1

I have a 2001 1500 slt 4x4. When trying to shift on the fly to 4 high, anything over probably 5 miles per hour is not good...

you give it a light tug, and the synchro's don't appear to synch (if there are synchros). If you are just at a rolling start, it is ok. Going from 4 high to 2 high, no big deal at 20, 25...

I thought nothing of this, just thought that was the way it was supposed to, but a friend told me that with their 1500, they can shift on the fly "no problem".

Just wanted some feedback from the group.

To clarify... I do take my foot off the gas when shifting, just that if more than say, 5-7 mph, I will most probably get a gear grinding noise. (obviously I have been very careful with this... first time I was pretty freaked. ) I just want to find out if this is normal.

Thanks

Last edited by mikiepeters : 03-19-2003 at 07:41 AM.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

GlassBlower

Posted: 03-19-2003, 07:36 AM
got beer?
City: Savona, NY
State: NY
View This User's Gallery
Post #2

I'm not sure, but that doesn't sound right. I can shift mine in at any speed, as long as I take my foot off the gas.

Hopefully someone else here can help more!
Kenwood sub amp KAC-719, One a/d/s 308rs.2 sub, Sony head unit
Leather, Sliding rear window, 265/75/16 Hoosiers, Bed Rug, B&M 24000 GVW tranny cooler SOLD
2004.5 Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O. RED w/ plow, brushguard, and Warn 2500 K&N

Tampa Bay Buccaneers and New York Mets Fan
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

Painless

Posted: 03-19-2003, 07:50 AM
Me Likey me HEMI!
City: East Bay, Ca
State: OR
View This User's Gallery
Post #3

i use to have a 2001 QC 4X4 with the 5.2 in it. it use to do the same thing. i took it to the sand dunes quite a bit. i always thought it was normal.

Project 11's
89 Supra Turbo
T3/T4 Hybrid (Muahahahaha!!)
shooting for 450-500 RWHP

mikiepeters

Posted: 03-19-2003, 07:56 AM
Post #4

I'm still thinking normal, and maybe they have made an improvement to the synchro's over the years???

Thanks again

Rusty

Posted: 03-19-2003, 08:18 AM
City: Grand Rapids
State: MI
View This User's Gallery
Post #5

Check your owners manual. You should be able to shift into 4-hi up to 45 mph. No problems with this in any of the three Ram's I've had.

Rusty
Python 1400 Remote Start/Keyless Entry
LT285/70R-17 BFG All Terrain

Jeff_Taylor

Posted: 03-19-2003, 08:45 AM
City: Way Out There
State: IN
View This User's Gallery
Post #6

On both of my Rams ('96 and '03) I could shift into 4HI at any speed, no grinding. The transfer case on the '96 was a little harder to shift, but still would not grind.

Sounds like your transfer case might need some attention.

mikiepeters

Posted: 03-19-2003, 11:14 AM
Post #7

Folks,

I called my Dealer...

there apparently are two types of transfer cases. (Service rep called them the solid one and the candy ass one!). What he said is that there are some transfer cases that will allow you to shift on the fly up to 40, but they have a pile of synchro's and brass bearings etc. to make that happen. He stated that this type has repair problems and is less reliable.

He also said that the type that I have (via luck only as I am obviously ignorant and blissful!) is much more reliable, and that the gear noise is normal. He stated that you could grind the gears all day and not hurt it at all. (I don't think I would recommend that). He said he recommends a rolling shift (walking speed), so that there are no noises, but that you could not really hurt it.

Guess I should have called them right away...

thanks for your input.

Jeff_Taylor

Posted: 03-20-2003, 08:53 AM
View This User's Gallery
Post #8

I'm havin' a hard time with that explanation.

How much warranty you got left?

mikiepeters

Posted: 03-20-2003, 08:57 AM
Post #9

I've got 3000 miles left... what do you think?

Rusty

Posted: 03-20-2003, 09:32 AM
City: Grand Rapids
View This User's Gallery
Post #10

http://dodgeram.org/tech/specs/tranfer_case.htm

I agree with Jeff. Sounds like a line of BS.

Rusty
Python 1400 Remote Start/Keyless Entry
LT285/70R-17 BFG All Terrain

Jeff_Taylor

Posted: 03-21-2003, 03:16 PM
View This User's Gallery
Post #11

Get that puppy in to the dealer complaining about the transfer case. If they do nothing, at least it has been documented that you reported a problem. That MAY help if it fails after the warranty expires.

I have engaged 4wd at 55 MPH. No grind, no noise. I think you are correct when you say that it sounds like syncros are toasted.

spirit-dodge

Posted: 03-21-2003, 04:09 PM
CHROME
City: Mi.
View This User's Gallery
Post #12

I think that if you have a button for 4 x4 its ok at most speeds. Manual shift seems like it needs to be at slow speeds. With my luck if I shifted into 4 high at 40 i'd find my tran. fallen behind me. Mine grinds about half the time,I usually shift below 10MPH.

Sport97

Posted: 03-21-2003, 04:46 PM
City: Caratunk
State: ME
Post #13

Got a 97 Sport 1500 with manual shift and as long as my foot is off the gas I can throw it in to 4H at the higher speeds (never tried it over 45 tho). One thing that did have to get repaired was a broken shaft clip but that was an entirely different story. I say you got a problem and agree with the others that you take it to the dealer and tell them "fix it".

Seth

Posted: 03-21-2003, 10:52 PM
City: Devils Lake, ND
State: ND
Post #14

Mine seems to go thru phases on my 97 Sport 1500. Sometimes it grinds and sometimes it doesnt. I have been able to switch into it at 55 mph, but the next day i couldnt do it unless under 10 mph without grinding. Even if it does grind, I usually will give it a fairly hefty pull and then it will go in, but you just have to use some force. I have never had a good transfer case in the first place, because ever since it went out the first time it grinds a lot (never did when it was under warranty). It seems almost every year, no matter how easy I am on it, my transfer case goes out. It really sucks and its my biggest complaint about my truck.

Add-ons:
Grill Guard, Roll/Light Bar, Nerf Bars, Hood Scoops, Dodge bed-liner

Tires:
Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's - The best off-roading tire out there!!

Performance:
K&N FIPK, Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, MSD 8.5mm wires, NGK V-Power Spark Plugs, Accel Brass Cap and Rotor, Accel Super Coil, Fastman 52mm TB, 180* T-stat

Check out my site

quadfan

Posted: 03-23-2003, 02:41 AM
State: NE
Post #15

My 96 and now 99 Rams both were able to go back and forth from 4wl to 2wl at any speed. Even hitting icey overpasses at 75mph on the interstate. Once in a while it would make a slight grinding noise,but nothing like my old Chevys when shifting from 4lo to 2hi while racing corvettes stoplight to stoplight!!!!!
shorty headers with Flowmaster 2.5" stainless cat-back duals
Hypertech module (Ebay $75!!)
Magnacore plug wires
Champion Truck plugs
Pioneer DEH-p7400mp CD head unit
6x9 Blaupunkt 3ways in the front doors
6 1/2" Pioneer Subs in rear doors
250x4 Pyle amp(under passenger seat)
Billet grill
Custom silver stripes
Closed Thread