turn signal wiring - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 01-15-2006, 06:42 PM
spfitter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
turn signal wiring

turn signal stopped working, ive replaced relay, checked fuses and bulbs and replaced turn signal switch, I have hazards any help would be appreciated.1998

Last edited by spfitter; 01-15-2006 at 07:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-16-2006, 11:14 AM
mr.nobody

did you replace the flasher unit?? it should be in the fuse box.

CHRIS
#3 Old 01-16-2006, 02:16 PM
Roadblock
Canadian Mopar Man

I don't know how the Durango works with the signal wiring ( have never had to fix anything electrical yet) but I know in my 1991 Aerostar I used to own if one of the bulbs blow the whole system would stop working, just like a set of Christmas tree lights..

As She Stands Now
2000 Durango SLT Plus Full Time 4X4
- Tow Package
- 4.7L

2001 Grand Caravan Sport
- 3.3 L
#4 Old 01-17-2006, 03:01 AM
Chump

Did both turn signals stop working? If you have a trailer towing connector at the rear, you might have some problems there like corrosion,etc.
#5 Old 01-17-2006, 05:44 PM
Roadblock
Canadian Mopar Man

How would corrosion cause this problem? You thinking a short maybe?

As She Stands Now
2000 Durango SLT Plus Full Time 4X4
- Tow Package
- 4.7L

2001 Grand Caravan Sport
- 3.3 L
#6 Old 01-17-2006, 07:08 PM
Chump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadblock
How would corrosion cause this problem? You thinking a short maybe?
Yes corrosion can cause a direct short. The metal particles break down in a connector from exposure to a foreign substance like road garbage-salt, anti-freeze, oil, battery acid, etc. These metal particles can actually form a bridge from one terminal to another and short. A wire splice can dissolve from the same action or become highly resistive, this will force the electricity to take a different path and it don't car where, just as long as it's the easiest route. Those 3M quick connectors were commonly used to hook up trailer wiring as well as other things. The original ones do not have any dielectric grease in them to combat corrosion and the connector itself may actually cut a few strands of the wire making a weaker mechanical connection.
You can also see this same type of problem when a battery starts to get a parasitic drain, although not corrosion, when there is a path to ground caused by excessive acid fumes/fluid mixed with contaminates this gives a very small path for current to flow to ground. This battery drain may be just enough on a newer computer controlled vehicle to cause a no-start or other strange problems. I just was helping a lady in Canada with a 95 Caravan that her park lights would stay on all the time, turns out it was the trailer connector and the Dodge dealer fixed it for her. I'm in Colorado. Since I don't really know what the turn signal problem is in this thread, I threw out the trailer connector corrosion idea as an option, before I forget about it. To help reduce the corrosive effects of mother nature, use some dielectric grease on all your wining connections. This will help keep the bad fluids out.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.