turn signal wiring - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP DODGETALK MERCHANDISE ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Durango 1st Gen (98 - 03) Forums > 1G Dodge Durango General Talk

Closed Thread

spfitter

turn signal wiring - Posted: 01-15-2006, 06:42 PM
Post #1

turn signal stopped working, ive replaced relay, checked fuses and bulbs and replaced turn signal switch, I have hazards any help would be appreciated.1998

Last edited by spfitter : 01-15-2006 at 07:05 PM.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

mr.nobody

Posted: 01-16-2006, 11:14 AM
City: Cleveland,Ohio
State: OH
Post #2

did you replace the flasher unit?? it should be in the fuse box.

CHRIS
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

Roadblock

Posted: 01-16-2006, 02:16 PM
Canadian Mopar Man
City: Brantford
State: ON
Post #3

I don't know how the Durango works with the signal wiring ( have never had to fix anything electrical yet) but I know in my 1991 Aerostar I used to own if one of the bulbs blow the whole system would stop working, just like a set of Christmas tree lights..
- 4.7L

2001 Grand Caravan Sport
- 3.3 L

Chump

Posted: 01-17-2006, 03:01 AM
State: CO
Post #4

Did both turn signals stop working? If you have a trailer towing connector at the rear, you might have some problems there like corrosion,etc.

Roadblock

Posted: 01-17-2006, 05:44 PM
Canadian Mopar Man
City: Brantford
State: ON
Post #5

How would corrosion cause this problem? You thinking a short maybe?
- 4.7L

2001 Grand Caravan Sport
- 3.3 L

Chump

Posted: 01-17-2006, 07:08 PM
State: CO
Post #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadblock
How would corrosion cause this problem? You thinking a short maybe?
Yes corrosion can cause a direct short. The metal particles break down in a connector from exposure to a foreign substance like road garbage-salt, anti-freeze, oil, battery acid, etc. These metal particles can actually form a bridge from one terminal to another and short. A wire splice can dissolve from the same action or become highly resistive, this will force the electricity to take a different path and it don't car where, just as long as it's the easiest route. Those 3M quick connectors were commonly used to hook up trailer wiring as well as other things. The original ones do not have any dielectric grease in them to combat corrosion and the connector itself may actually cut a few strands of the wire making a weaker mechanical connection.
You can also see this same type of problem when a battery starts to get a parasitic drain, although not corrosion, when there is a path to ground caused by excessive acid fumes/fluid mixed with contaminates this gives a very small path for current to flow to ground. This battery drain may be just enough on a newer computer controlled vehicle to cause a no-start or other strange problems. I just was helping a lady in Canada with a 95 Caravan that her park lights would stay on all the time, turns out it was the trailer connector and the Dodge dealer fixed it for her. I'm in Colorado. Since I don't really know what the turn signal problem is in this thread, I threw out the trailer connector corrosion idea as an option, before I forget about it. To help reduce the corrosive effects of mother nature, use some dielectric grease on all your wining connections. This will help keep the bad fluids out.
Closed Thread