Blower only works on high - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 01-05-2006, 06:02 PM
jylee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Blower only works on high

My first post on this forum.

The blower on my 1996 Dodge Ram only work on high, the other settings does not work. The climate control switch was changed out, but it did not fix the problem. Some previous posts suggested it is the blower resister. Can someone post some pictures on the location of the resister.

Thank you in advance, Jack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-05-2006, 11:18 PM
kent0

It is behind the glove box. I haven't worked on the one in my Ram, but I had a Grand Caravan that kept blowing them. It actually was blowing a thermal fuse in the resistor. After replacing the resistor pack twice, I just got a replacement thermal fuse at Radio Shack for about $1. I traded the van before finding the real problem, but I think the blower motor was going bad and drawing too much current causing the resistor to overheat and blow the thermal fuse.

1999 5.9 4x4 quad cab
Solar Yellow
Maxxis Bighorn 315/75-16
K&N FIPK

2002 Black Camaro SS
#3 Old 01-06-2006, 10:39 AM
edglock21
The Green Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jylee
Can someone post some pictures on the location of the resister.

Thank you in advance, Jack
Hope this helps:

Click to increase the size
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Blower Motor Resistor.JPG (148.2 KB, 89 views)

ED
98 RAM 1500 SLT QuadCab 4x4 360/AT
86 Shelby GLHS

** How to: Changing Ball Joints on 2nd Gen Ram

Quote:
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. - President Ronald Reagan
I'll rochambeau ya for it..." Eric Cartman
#4 Old 01-10-2006, 07:52 PM
jylee

(Thread Starter)
Thank you for the help, it is fixed. I replaced the blower resistor.

Jack
#5 Old 06-14-2006, 10:32 PM
jdr1234
David-2001 Ram Off-Road

Replaced mine today-finally bought one on ebay.

It only took about 5 minutes to change out. My old resistor was bad when I bought the truck in '04. Now my fan works on ALL speeds! On top of that, I replaced the blower motor last week with a new one from AutoZone-no more squeaky bearing noise here.

Here's a pic of the old one (left) and the new one (right).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P6140002.JPG (656.4 KB, 24 views)

2001 Dodge Ram Off-Road,360 ci and 4.10's, Rough Country 5.5" Suspension Lift

35x12.50x17 Nitto Trail Grapplers, 17x9 Black Moto Metal Wheels,Tow Mirrors,Cab Lights, Fender Flares

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.