Wont down shift - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 2nd Gen (94 01) Forums > 2G Dodge RAM - Drivetrain Talk

Closed Thread

CoreySS

Wont down shift - Posted: 11-30-2005, 06:40 PM
Illinois Boy
City: Chicagoland
View This User's Gallery
Post #1

This in on my brothers truck, Its a 2001 2wd. It seems to not want to go into 1st when you slow down, possibly even when stopped to. I was thinkin maybe the transmission cable, but also I was thinking his tranny is going since when he bought it the fluid was dam low, very dirty and air bubbles galore. (dealer "forgot" to check the transmission) He has a 2 year warranty on the truck so if he can drop it, its no problem to get it fixed.

Any ideas

Brother, 19yo 2001 Dodge ram Reg cab full bed. Flowmaster muffler gutted cat

Dad- 70 challenger, undergoing a 496ci replacement
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

abe

Posted: 11-30-2005, 09:51 PM
Post #2

CoreySS
Whoa! I have to assume that you've changed the fluid and filter by now. If not, get it done pronto. They oil should never be dirty looking. If you did change it, were there metal filings in the pan? There should be a magnet in the pan to catch metal filings and such. If after the oil gets changed and it's still dirty looking, then it's time for a tranny rebuild. No way around it.
Is that Lake Shore Drive I'm looking at?
abe
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

CoreySS

Posted: 11-30-2005, 11:08 PM
Illinois Boy
View This User's Gallery
Post #3

I beleive so ya.

Ya I had my brother take it to the dealer and they just ran the fluid through the machine and filled up the missing quarts.. They never dropped the pan on his truck. Tomarrow he is going back to get his brakes lights looked at cause they dont light up, I think hes gonna have them look at the tranny to.

It shifts into first if you manually do it though

abe

Posted: 12-01-2005, 09:33 PM
Post #4

CoreySS
Keep an eye on the fluid. Like I said, it should never be dirty looking. Man, I'd demand the pan be dropped and see what has accumulated in the bottom near the magnet, plus the filter changed and the bands adjusted.
abe

CoreySS

Posted: 12-01-2005, 10:21 PM
Illinois Boy
View This User's Gallery
Post #5

Its at the dealer right now so who knows whats going on. They were told about the brake lights and transmission and said they would do whatever they could under warranty. We will see what they do when they call us

CoreySS

Posted: 12-05-2005, 03:34 PM
Illinois Boy
View This User's Gallery
Post #6

Apparantly they say my brothers truck has no 1st or 2nd gear. But Yet I could manually shift it. The warranty guys will be out there tmw and they said they just might replace the entire transmission.

360rango

Posted: 12-29-2005, 10:32 PM
Post #7

they might replace the trans becuase they are not confident enough rebuild it and not have a problem is ussually the case. Its better them not try to rebuild it that to try and pluck up and ahave to try over and over to fix it. consider yourself lucky all they will do is remove and replace

CoreySS

Posted: 12-29-2005, 10:59 PM
Illinois Boy
View This User's Gallery
Post #8

ya my brother just got it replaced for 120$. Now he beats on it because he has "2years til the warranty runs out"

Closed Thread