Ram Wheel Fell Off Last Night - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
Closed Thread

#1 Old 11-06-2005, 06:44 AM
enash

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Ram Wheel Fell Off Last Night

Last night driving on I-80 at approximately 55mph the wheel & tire on the driver side front of my 2004 Dodge Ram fell off and hit a car coming in the opposite direction. Fortunately noone was injured. Has the wheel falling off happened to anyone else. As a side note, I have aftermarket wheels which were tightened to Dogde specs.

-------------------------------------------------

'04 1500 Hemi QC Laramie 4x4 - Black
Flowmaster 70 Series Catback with Dual Rear Exit
K&N 77 Series High Flow Intake
TruXedo Low Profile Tonneau Cover
Torsion Bars Cranked to Level
17x9 Mickey Thompson Classic Lock Wheels
315/70/17 BFG A/T Tires
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-06-2005, 07:10 AM
Chelu
Local Boy...

Wow! Glad your okay. So, the tire just came off? What happened to your truck? Any damage? Damn, now I'm gonna go out and check to see if my bolts are on tight.
#3 Old 11-06-2005, 07:14 AM
hemi1569
All Around Great Guy

What were they tightened too and how long have you driven it since they were tightened? Glad to see everyone is ok

Names' Kevin
9/26/09 htc rally, best run 4880lbs, full street trim minus tailgate
14.31 @ 93.52
6.1 cam and pushrods
Ramhammer intake
Doug's headers(mids) with factory cats
catback

http://www.streetfire.net/video/6500...ift_740132.htm
My 6500rpm superchip shift 0 to 60mph video

Knock retard limitations by the pcm on a stock tune, it can pull:
15.0 degrees at low RPM's
5.0 degrees at 6000 RPM
9.0 degrees at 4800 RPM's.
#4 Old 11-06-2005, 07:59 AM
enash

(Thread Starter)
Yeah, it just came off. The fender got pretty banged up and I assume there must be damage to the wheel hub and who knows what else. The front of the other car was mangled. Thank god it didn't go through their windshield and hurt or kill anyone. I put the wheels on back in the summer and tightened them according to the owner's manual to 135ft/lbs. Since then it's has gone in for two 3 month services. However, since there is only around 9K miles on the truck, I am not sure if they touched the wheels at all to rotate them. Also the state trooper said he knows of 4 other Dodge Rams where the wheels just came off while being driven.

-------------------------------------------------

'04 1500 Hemi QC Laramie 4x4 - Black
Flowmaster 70 Series Catback with Dual Rear Exit
K&N 77 Series High Flow Intake
TruXedo Low Profile Tonneau Cover
Torsion Bars Cranked to Level
17x9 Mickey Thompson Classic Lock Wheels
315/70/17 BFG A/T Tires
#5 Old 11-06-2005, 08:34 AM
warp

Gad, I have mine torqued to 100 lbs,just checked them recently,
they were still ok after two years, factory 17s. Could the after
market wheels be the problem? Is 135 stripping the studs?
#6 Old 11-06-2005, 11:16 AM
Dodge_Tomahawk
Ultimate Design

Did the studs shear off,or did the rim come directly off the studs? If the rim came off the studs and the studs didnt shear at all,then either the nuts are wrong and they backed off,they were over tightened and the nuts stripped.

Obviously if the studs dont shear...the problem lies with the nuts,either the wrong type for the wheel or they were stripped or torqued incorrectly.They say after roughly 400 miles,on aftermarket wheels you should check them again from the first tighten down.
#7 Old 11-06-2005, 12:32 PM
hemi_outlaw
ITS SO SLOW !

were they aftermarket wheels that were not hub centric or stockers .

2005 RAM 1500 W/ THE HEMI OF COURSE
MINERAL GREY METALLIC
REGULAR CAB
#8 Old 11-06-2005, 12:44 PM
dale3fan3

um correct me if I'm wrong here but wouldnt you torque the aftermarket rims to their specs not the stock wheel spec??? steel wheels and alloy ones get torqued differently dont they? I mean right there coulda been the problem or that you got the wrong type of seating lug for that wheel. glad that no one got hurt in the incidant! vehicles can be fixed lives cant!
#9 Old 11-06-2005, 12:48 PM
Shots
The Irish brotherhood

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Some pranksters loosened the lugs on my brother's car years ago. He only noticed, because it was making strange noises when he turned. It turned out the noises were the tires wobbling around on the studs. I don't know if you have any punk kids in the area, but some folks think it's funny, and don't realize they could kill someone. I find it hard to believe that all 5 nuts would back off before you noticed one or more was loose. I think you have a vandal, not a truck problem.
As for the other Dodges having this problem. I've never heard it. The trooper is probably a Ferd, or Chebby guy, and it's an excuse to bash Dodge.

Shots:2014 CC Sport

Mods:
2" level / Tint 50 fronts 10 backs / Custom BedRug / Extang Solid Fold / Partial Debadge

..............................Would you risk your life for $1,000,000?..... A cop does it every day for a lot less.
#10 Old 11-06-2005, 01:46 PM
one short of
Dodge Fanatic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by enash
Last night driving on I-80 at approximately 55mph the wheel & tire on the driver side front of my 2004 Dodge Ram fell off and hit a car coming in the opposite direction. Fortunately noone was injured. Has the wheel falling off happened to anyone else. As a side note, I have aftermarket wheels which were tightened to Dogde specs.
I agree with what hemi outlaw is asking

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemi_outlaw
were they aftermarket wheels that were not hub centric or stockers .
Unless we spend big bucks on after market wheels we will most likely get a wheel that was made to fit a number of vehicles with our same bolt pattern something else like old fords and such. So the hub will be to large and allow the wheel to move around on our hubs then we get vibrations and in real bad situations we brake stuff.
#11 Old 11-06-2005, 01:49 PM
05_hemi
they Hemi comin'

Hope you make out okay, and glad no one was killed.

I also have aftermarket wheels. Ideally, all wheels should be retorqued at around fifty miles after installation. I've done this for years and never had a problem. My dealership actually leaves a note on my dash reccommending this when the service includes a rotation.

But I also subscribe to the vandal point. It's way too odd that all the nuts would back off without notice.

2005 Dodge Ram Laramie Regular Cab Short Box Hemi Sport 4x4, BFG Ground Force T/A's on Centerline California OC's, Borla exhaust, K&N filter, factory lip kit, scoop, remote start, Bushwacker flares, ARE carpeted tonneau, billet grille and bumper inserts, drop shackles, cleared headlights, Brite Box, carbon fibre bezel and door trim, Weathertech mats.
#12 Old 11-06-2005, 01:50 PM
gsbrockman

Quote:
Originally Posted by enash
Last night driving on I-80 at approximately 55mph the wheel & tire on the driver side front of my 2004 Dodge Ram fell off and hit a car coming in the opposite direction.
I suspect vandalism (as stated by shots). What concerns me more is did you not have any tips or signs that there was an upcoming problem ? I could not fathom having my wheel come off without any prior indication that there was a problem.
Greg

2013 RAM 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 DRW 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel 385 hp 850 torque, Tradesman in New Holland Blue, Protection Group, Popular Equipment Group, 220A Alternator, AISIN 6 speed auto, Chrome Tubular Side Steps, Single Disc CD, LT235/80R17 General AmeriTrac TR OWL tires, Trailer Brake Control, 3.73 axle ratio, Anti-Spin Rear Differential, SIRIUS satellite radio.

Past CTD's : 1998 Dodge RAM 2500 Flame Red Sport Regular Cab 4x4 12V w/NV4500; 2000 Dodge RAM 2500 Flame Red Sport Quad Cab 4x4 24V w/47RE; 2003 Dodge RAM 2500 Bright White Sport Crew Cab 4x4 HPCR 24V w/NV5600.....Casper may be gone, but never forgotten.....2007.5 Dodge RAM 3500 Mega Cab SRW 4x4 Electric Blue Pearl Coat Laramie 6.7L HPCR w/68RFE and 3.73's.
#13 Old 11-06-2005, 02:06 PM
hemi_outlaw
ITS SO SLOW !

the reason i asked my question is because a week after i got my aftermarkets i went around a curve haulin ass and felt a weird vibe and i got out and the lugs were pushing out on the center cab , i took it off and sure enough a lugs were about to come off . the only thing keeping them on was the center cap . i torqued them down and no more issues .

2005 RAM 1500 W/ THE HEMI OF COURSE
MINERAL GREY METALLIC
REGULAR CAB
#14 Old 11-06-2005, 04:49 PM
AIR_RAM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I wonder why you did NOT feel any vibrations as you where driving... I one day rotated my tires and because I was in a hurry I did NOT tighten a rim all the way... to make a long story short, It only took 100 yards for me to realize somthing was wrong. I hope everything gets taken care of. Good Luck.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

4.7L PERFORMANCE ENTHUSIAST - DODGE RAM's, DAKOTA's, DURANGO's & JEEP's.
#15 Old 11-06-2005, 06:45 PM
blawson7

I used to work in a Western Auto (yes, they're some still around). We sold and installed tires. I have seen brand new chrome aftermarket wheels come off of cars because the lug nuts would loosen after about a week of driving. We would tell the people who got new wheels to check the torque on the wheels after about a week of driving.

I've never heard of anyone having to re-torquing them more than we suggested, and I've never heard of aluminum wheels doing this at all.

2012 Ram 2500 SLT 4x4 - Deep Cherry Red
5.7 Liter HEMI
Sliding Back Glass
#16 Old 11-06-2005, 06:48 PM
Ram3500Dually
Administrator

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I think we need to hear exactly how it fell off before we can talk about why. Are the holes oblong in the rim? If yes then loose nuts. Did the studs shear off? Where the studs still there but stripped? A couple of studs still there but the others broke off? These are the questions we need answered.

2013 Ram 3500 CTD 6.7L 6 Speed Aisin, 4:10 LSD

2005 Jeep Liberty Sport

1991 Shadow ES Turbo Convertible

1984 Mini-Ram Van (Show Van) **TOTM April 2007** In museum now

73 Pro Street Duster.**VOTM July 2008/ April 2011**

1951 Dodge 3 Window Business Coupe **VOTM Feb 2011**

1992 Custom Built Harley FXSTC Show Bike

2008 Harley FLHTCU Ultra Classic

DodgeTalk Administrator

CTD Enthusiast Club Member #02

Names Carl, if you cut me I bleed Mopar Blue

Past Trucks: 90 CC Dually CTD, 94 RC LB CTD, 95 CC SB 5.2L gas, 98 QC Dually CTD, 00 QC Dually CTD, 01 QC Off Road, 03 QC Dually CTD, 05 QC Dually CTD, 08 Dually CTD **ROTM April 2008**,10 CC Dually CTD,

SUPPORT THOSE WHO SUPPORT DODGETALK

#17 Old 11-06-2005, 06:52 PM
one short of
Dodge Fanatic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram3500Dually
I think we need to hear exactly how it fell off before we can talk about why. Are the holes oblong in the rim? If yes then loose nuts. Did the studs shear off? Where the studs still there but stripped? A couple of studs still there but the others broke off? These are the questions we need answered.
AND DONT MAKE US ASK YOU AGAIN!!!
#18 Old 11-06-2005, 07:05 PM
Blackhemiquad
2004 Black_Hemi_QC

Maybe someone attempted to steal your rims and was scared away before they succeeded. Didn'y you feel any vibrations before it fell off?

2004 Dodge Ram 1500 QC Laramie Hemi!!
Color - Black 7 Speaker Infinity Cd Stereo with 6 CD Stacker
Tow package
Iceburg Stainless Steel Nerf Bars
Color matched Arrow Matrix Canopy
Mopar Mud Flaps
Armaguard over rail spray in box liner
BLACK TRUCK MEMBER # 46
#19 Old 11-06-2005, 07:10 PM
HEMI450HP
Moe's Performance

I'm sorry about what happened but at least nobody got hurt. A few weeks ago, I was putting my 22's back on after comnig home from the track...and I forgot to tighten one of my front wheels after lowering the jack...I drove for about a mile, and then the truck started making some weird noises and shaking terribly...so I pulled over, and the lugnuts were so loose that I was literally turning them with my hands with no problems...That will be the last time I make that mistake.
#20 Old 11-06-2005, 10:36 PM
mitchgmace

wow, glad no oone got hurt. Check your lug nuts guys. The aluminum wheels need checked more often after you put them on a few miles check again. I always tighten on jacks, then drop truck and check again with torque wrench. Shit happens to the best of us. Better luck and be safe guys.

2006 Ram 2500 5.9 CUMMINS TURBO DIESEL (325/610-stock ) 4x4 Standard Cab Long Bed 6-Speed - [SIZE=1]
Westin bed extender, LINE-X, Neopene seat covers
ATS Exhaust manifold/header
Muffler, Silencer ring, & Cat MIA, striaght pipe/stack
S&B CAI =Moe's, Byrd's Intake horn, Fass Fuel System
75hp injectors
Diablosport Predator Stacked with MP8 = Ton of HP
Dual disc clutch
Kore Recon lift 34" Swamper LTB's, Garmin Nav system
572hp/1077tq
Trucks and Guns Club #127
I spend my money on my truck and not my girlfriend, because I'll have it longer and less people have been in it! "
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.