Heater Bypass Tube Removal - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 10-30-2005, 07:25 PM
golf4dj
DJ

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Heater Bypass Tube Removal

Help,

I can't seem to get the heater bypass tube removed from the old waterpump. Any suggestions?????

Also, how difficult is it to remove and replace the small hose at the top of the pump????

I have removed everything from the vehicle and I am stuck because I cannot get the tube out. I tried to buy one from Autozone and it was not in stock. I also think that I will try and replace that small hose at the top of the pump along with the rest of them. I did no initially know it was there when I purchased all the supplies. I will go back to get it, but it looks very difficult to get too. Any suggestions there as well?

Thanks,
DJ
2000 Durango
2wd with 5.2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-30-2005, 07:35 PM
B1G BLEU
WORLD'S GREATEST TRUCK

The last time I changed a bypass tube (many yrs ago), it was rubber, I slit the clamp areas with a razor and cut 2 new pieces to fit.

Paul
02 Durango (build 11/01) SLT┼ AB/BLACK INT 4.7L NGC 45RFE PT3.55 LSD 4X4 - Superchips 3715 Performance - Sensatracs - Chrome Nose - Carriage Works Billet Grilles - APC Clear Corners - Infinity 6022i's w/stock tweeters - - Hidden Hitch - Silverstar 9007ST's - K&N high-flow 33-2175 air filter- TFP Chrome Handles - 33K Miles - (MB Gunner Chrome Wheels + General Grabbers wintering in basement) Hammered blue factory rims
Wife's Ride : 2006 Grand Caravan SXT INFERNO RED
Work Ride : 2009 Ford Edge SEL
Daughter's Ride : 2011 Jeep Compass Latitude
Son 1's Ride : 2012 Nissan Altima S Coupe
Son 2's Ride : 2006 STi Stage 2 Grandma Gray (kinda mine, too)
#3 Old 10-30-2005, 07:47 PM
mr.nobody

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
i heated it up with a torch, then grabbed it with channel locks and twisted it out. hope this helps

CHRIS
#4 Old 10-30-2005, 09:16 PM
BillXGina
eating chevys......

Twist and pull. There is a little rubber O-ring in there. That is probably what is sticking.

That top hose looks like a real pain, I think you have to move the a/c compressor. Good luck.

99 Durango 5.9

If You Can't Dodge It, Ram It!

~DodgeTalk.com 360MAGNUM Enthusiast Member #19 ~

#5 Old 10-30-2005, 11:53 PM
Leviticus
Gromit

I pulled the whole bracket off that holds the A/C compressor and Alternator, just set it off to the side, keeping everything connected still.

I had to heat the tube ...actually, i think i just cut it off and replaced it with one from NAPA since i couldnt get it off. Its like a 2 dollar hose. Good luck.

Flame Red 1998 Dodge Durango 5.9L SLT+ 4x4, Tan Leather, 3.92LSD, Tow Package, Champion Truckplugs, Superchips87, Bilstein Shocks, Yokohama Geolandar AT 33x12.50x15, Infinity Kappas all around, Clarion custom subwoofer. COMING SOON: 3"BodyLift, Add-a-leaf, ARB Bumper, Custom Roof Rack, Mike Leach PPH Headers.
#6 Old 10-31-2005, 12:30 AM
golf4dj
DJ

(Thread Starter)
Bypass Tube

Thanks for the tip guys. I heated up the pump around where the tube goes in and was able to remove it.

As far as the little house, I may pay for it later but I did not replace it cause I couldn't get to the house clamps on the back end. If I would have seen Leviticus's post before putting it back together I may have tried to unhook the AC mounting bracket to move slightly to get at the clamps.

Seems like a poor design for getting at something that is a wear item. Just my 2cents.

Anyway thanks for the help, now off to put new coolant in.

DJ
#7 Old 10-31-2005, 11:36 AM
Rick99

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf4dj
Seems like a poor design for getting at something that is a wear item. Just my 2cents.

DJ
LOL. Ever try to change the spark plugs in a Caravan?

2003 Durango SLT
AWD, 4.7l
Mods: Remote Start
Just got a new set of BFG All-Terrains
Planning retrofit to 4WABS

1999 Durango SLT+
4x4, 5.2l
Mods: B&M Supercooler, Ford OEM Remote Start/Keyless Entry/Alarm, Heated Seats

01 T&C Limited 3.8l
#8 Old 10-31-2005, 06:06 PM
B1G BLEU
WORLD'S GREATEST TRUCK

Rick, I think all transverse v6's are like that. On my old GM v8's, 2 was a pain because you couldn't see it under the A/C and 8 was tough because you couldn't use an extension or a swivel. I figured out to the hardest 1st so you're not tired and stripping the threads.

Paul
02 Durango (build 11/01) SLT┼ AB/BLACK INT 4.7L NGC 45RFE PT3.55 LSD 4X4 - Superchips 3715 Performance - Sensatracs - Chrome Nose - Carriage Works Billet Grilles - APC Clear Corners - Infinity 6022i's w/stock tweeters - - Hidden Hitch - Silverstar 9007ST's - K&N high-flow 33-2175 air filter- TFP Chrome Handles - 33K Miles - (MB Gunner Chrome Wheels + General Grabbers wintering in basement) Hammered blue factory rims
Wife's Ride : 2006 Grand Caravan SXT INFERNO RED
Work Ride : 2009 Ford Edge SEL
Daughter's Ride : 2011 Jeep Compass Latitude
Son 1's Ride : 2012 Nissan Altima S Coupe
Son 2's Ride : 2006 STi Stage 2 Grandma Gray (kinda mine, too)
#9 Old 11-12-2005, 12:34 AM
Chimichanga31

All i can add is buy extra o-rings. If you pul out the metal tube. I ruined 10 of them trying to put mine back in after a water pump change out. Ended up using dry ice in water to shrink the metal a little bit, putting a little engine oil and the o-ring to help slip it in without tearing it.

I changed out the little rubber hose for a new one when i replaced the waterpump. I knew that would be a pain to get to later if it started leaking.

2000 Black SLT 5.9
4x4 AWD w/ tow package
Coming on 190k and still strong
Help a guy out, click this link: http://uc.GamesTotal.com/?tft=murd
#10 Old 11-12-2005, 12:37 AM
Unnamed
Pimp On Sir Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1G BLEU
Rick, I think all transverse v6's are like that. On my old GM v8's, 2 was a pain because you couldn't see it under the A/C and 8 was tough because you couldn't use an extension or a swivel. I figured out to the hardest 1st so you're not tired and stripping the threads.
At least you can get to them... My brother in laws F150, fo-get about it. The last 4 are back hidden by the firewall. Raise the chassis off the powertrain and voila... access... sort of. My other b-i-l's expedition had to have the whole exhaust dropped, manifold and all to replace some defective o2 sensor. I asked my F150 b-i-l who's been an engineer at Ford's for 18+ years why they're doing this. His response: Anything to make it faster to build, easier to assemble and requires less human intervention supercedes everything else. He basically went on to explain that they decided to take a hit on the warranty side if something were to fail under warranty but were banking that they'd gain much more (probably VERY true) by doing this. Both in after warranty service and in production speed.

BIDET BIDET BIDET BIDET BIDET BIDET BIDET BIDET BIDET BIDET BIDET BIDET BIDET BIDET BIDET BIDET
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.