Heater Bypass Tube Removal - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Durango 1st Gen (98 - 03) Forums > 1G Dodge Durango General Talk

Closed Thread

golf4dj

Heater Bypass Tube Removal - Posted: 10-30-2005, 06:25 PM
DJ
City: Springfield
State: VA
Post #1

Help,

I can't seem to get the heater bypass tube removed from the old waterpump. Any suggestions?????

Also, how difficult is it to remove and replace the small hose at the top of the pump????

I have removed everything from the vehicle and I am stuck because I cannot get the tube out. I tried to buy one from Autozone and it was not in stock. I also think that I will try and replace that small hose at the top of the pump along with the rest of them. I did no initially know it was there when I purchased all the supplies. I will go back to get it, but it looks very difficult to get too. Any suggestions there as well?

Thanks,
DJ
2000 Durango
2wd with 5.2
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

B1G BLEU

Posted: 10-30-2005, 06:35 PM
WORLD'S GREATEST TRUCK
City: W. Hempstead
State: NY
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #2

The last time I changed a bypass tube (many yrs ago), it was rubber, I slit the clamp areas with a razor and cut 2 new pieces to fit.
02 Durango (build 11/01) SLT┼ AB/BLACK INT 4.7L NGC 45RFE PT3.55 LSD 4X4 - Superchips 3715 Performance - Sensatracs - Chrome Nose - Carriage Works Billet Grilles - APC Clear Corners - Infinity 6022i's w/stock tweeters - Bully Pedals - Hidden Hitch - Silverstar 9007ST's - K&N high-flow 33-2175 air filter- TFP Chrome Handles - 29K Miles - (MB Gunner Chrome Wheels + General Grabbers wintering in basement) Hammered blue factory rims
Wife's Ride : 2006 Grand Caravan SXT INFERNO RED
Work Ride : 2009 Grand Caravan C/V STONE WHITE
Daughter's Ride : 2011 Jeep Compass Latitude
Son's Ride : no job = no car
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

mr.nobody

Posted: 10-30-2005, 06:47 PM
City: Cleveland,Ohio
State: OH
Post #3

i heated it up with a torch, then grabbed it with channel locks and twisted it out. hope this helps

CHRIS

BillXGina

Posted: 10-30-2005, 08:16 PM
eating chevys......
City: Houston
State: TX
Post #4

Twist and pull. There is a little rubber O-ring in there. That is probably what is sticking.

That top hose looks like a real pain, I think you have to move the a/c compressor. Good luck.

If You Can't Dodge It, Ram It!

~DodgeTalk.com 360MAGNUM Enthusiast Member #19 ~

Leviticus

Posted: 10-30-2005, 10:53 PM
Gromit
City: St. Louis, MO
State: MO
Post #5

I pulled the whole bracket off that holds the A/C compressor and Alternator, just set it off to the side, keeping everything connected still.

I had to heat the tube ...actually, i think i just cut it off and replaced it with one from NAPA since i couldnt get it off. Its like a 2 dollar hose. Good luck.
Flame Red 1998 Dodge Durango 5.9L SLT+ 4x4, Tan Leather, 3.92LSD, Tow Package, Champion Truckplugs, Superchips87, Bilstein Shocks, Yokohama Geolandar AT 33x12.50x15, Infinity Kappas all around, Clarion custom subwoofer. COMING SOON: 3"BodyLift, Add-a-leaf, ARB Bumper, Custom Roof Rack, Mike Leach PPH Headers.

golf4dj

Bypass Tube - Posted: 10-30-2005, 11:30 PM
DJ
City: Springfield
State: VA
Post #6

Thanks for the tip guys. I heated up the pump around where the tube goes in and was able to remove it.

As far as the little house, I may pay for it later but I did not replace it cause I couldn't get to the house clamps on the back end. If I would have seen Leviticus's post before putting it back together I may have tried to unhook the AC mounting bracket to move slightly to get at the clamps.

Seems like a poor design for getting at something that is a wear item. Just my 2cents.

Anyway thanks for the help, now off to put new coolant in.

DJ

Rick99

Posted: 10-31-2005, 10:36 AM
City: NH
State: NH
Post #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf4dj
Seems like a poor design for getting at something that is a wear item. Just my 2cents.

DJ
LOL. Ever try to change the spark plugs in a Caravan?
Just got a new set of BFG All-Terrains
Planning retrofit to 4WABS

1999 Durango SLT+
4x4, 5.2l
Mods: B&M Supercooler, Ford OEM Remote Start/Keyless Entry/Alarm, Heated Seats

01 T&C Limited 3.8l

B1G BLEU

Posted: 10-31-2005, 05:06 PM
WORLD'S GREATEST TRUCK
City: W. Hempstead
State: NY
Post #8

Rick, I think all transverse v6's are like that. On my old GM v8's, 2 was a pain because you couldn't see it under the A/C and 8 was tough because you couldn't use an extension or a swivel. I figured out to the hardest 1st so you're not tired and stripping the threads.
02 Durango (build 11/01) SLT┼ AB/BLACK INT 4.7L NGC 45RFE PT3.55 LSD 4X4 - Superchips 3715 Performance - Sensatracs - Chrome Nose - Carriage Works Billet Grilles - APC Clear Corners - Infinity 6022i's w/stock tweeters - Bully Pedals - Hidden Hitch - Silverstar 9007ST's - K&N high-flow 33-2175 air filter- TFP Chrome Handles - 29K Miles - (MB Gunner Chrome Wheels + General Grabbers wintering in basement) Hammered blue factory rims
Wife's Ride : 2006 Grand Caravan SXT INFERNO RED
Work Ride : 2009 Grand Caravan C/V STONE WHITE
Daughter's Ride : 2011 Jeep Compass Latitude
Son's Ride : no job = no car

Chimichanga31

Posted: 11-11-2005, 11:34 PM
State: TX
Post #9

All i can add is buy extra o-rings. If you pul out the metal tube. I ruined 10 of them trying to put mine back in after a water pump change out. Ended up using dry ice in water to shrink the metal a little bit, putting a little engine oil and the o-ring to help slip it in without tearing it.

I changed out the little rubber hose for a new one when i replaced the waterpump. I knew that would be a pain to get to later if it started leaking.
Help a guy out, click this link: http://uc.GamesTotal.com/?tft=murd

Unnamed

Posted: 11-11-2005, 11:37 PM
Pimp On Sir Don
City: Belleville
State: MI
Post #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1G BLEU
Rick, I think all transverse v6's are like that. On my old GM v8's, 2 was a pain because you couldn't see it under the A/C and 8 was tough because you couldn't use an extension or a swivel. I figured out to the hardest 1st so you're not tired and stripping the threads.
At least you can get to them... My brother in laws F150, fo-get about it. The last 4 are back hidden by the firewall. Raise the chassis off the powertrain and voila... access... sort of. My other b-i-l's expedition had to have the whole exhaust dropped, manifold and all to replace some defective o2 sensor. I asked my F150 b-i-l who's been an engineer at Ford's for 18+ years why they're doing this. His response: Anything to make it faster to build, easier to assemble and requires less human intervention supercedes everything else. He basically went on to explain that they decided to take a hit on the warranty side if something were to fail under warranty but were banking that they'd gain much more (probably VERY true) by doing this. Both in after warranty service and in production speed.