Question, 4.7 auto trans - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 3rd Gen (02 08) Forums > 3G Dodge RAM - Drivetrain Talk

Closed Thread

Jan

Question, 4.7 auto trans - Posted: 02-11-2003, 09:59 PM
City: Belleville
State: IL
Post #1

When the truck is cold, and after driving about 1-2 miles, I come to a stop and the Trans has a very hard downshift. This happens most all of the time, but only notice it when cold. Any Ideas? Thanks
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

4wdquad

Posted: 02-19-2003, 03:11 PM
City: Warminster
State: PA
Post #2

a lot of people have this condition includind myself,i hear that the dealer has a pcm flash but im not sure
Borla dual stainless tip
Westin nerf bars
wheel liners
LED's in cup holder
Blue reflective Super ram graphics
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

RedRam20s

Posted: 03-11-2003, 10:45 PM
City: Pilot Point TX
State: TX
View This User's Gallery
Post #3

Have the dealer flash the PCM, it will fix it.. A bunch of people have done this to theirs and it went away

2012 1500 CC 5.7L 4x4
Deep Cherry Red
Leather
430N Nav
Tow Mirrors
ParkSense
Alpine

dwayne

Posted: 03-12-2003, 12:06 PM
State: NJ
Post #4

My stupid dealer told me this was normal, the wifes 2002 Grand Caravan does the same thing, only when COLD.
2002 Ram 1500 Quad Long Bed 4X2, 4.7, 20''s with Eagle LS 275/55, auto, ARE LSII lid, DTA Corporation running boards, Mopar billet grill, cd changer, 3.55 Limited Slip, patriot blue, DEI autostart and keyless entry, chrome Mopar bug deflector, premium seats, Sylvania Silverstars, NGK 2262''s, American flag on the back window, BedRug, Mopar Wheelwell Liners, DeBadged, MagnaFlow Muffler, ASP Underdrive Pulley, Two 10" Audiobahn 1051T SubWoofers, 1400 watt SoundStorm Amp, XM Roady2

peppe1

Posted: 03-13-2003, 05:54 PM
City: Baltimore
State: MD
Post #5

Redram20s does the pcm flash kill the mileage (aka death flash.)I still did not get the idle update or the pcm flash for the hard down shift. I guess the mileage couldn't get any worse!! HAHAHA!

blackram40

Posted: 03-13-2003, 06:29 PM
City: cobleskill
State: NY
View This User's Gallery
Post #6

there is a tsb (flash for the condition you are exhibiting)...this flash came out for the 45rfe about 3 months ago....it will improve shift performance nominallyon upshift but will really enhance downshift....make sure you have your dealer vheck the new "dealer connect" system for the tsb...i promise ya brother, its out there...i flash 3 or 4 a week......

ss62

Posted: 04-05-2003, 08:20 PM
City: millington
State: TN
Post #7

I have a transmission problem but mine, especially when it's sat overnight or for the length of time I'm at work, has a hard 2nd to 3rd upshift. The dealer flashed the computer about 5 months ago but it's made no difference. When it's at operating temp it shifts smooth yet the 2nd to 3rd shift is still kinda noticable but not nearly as bad. Since mines been flashed, anyone with any idea? Or could there have been yet another tsb flash issued since mine was done?

2w171

Posted: 04-07-2003, 12:02 AM
City: Crestview Florida
State: FL
Post #8

I as well have had this problem since the day I bought my truck. The last time they flashed the puter it took me to Update G I think. Generally the truck will be fine for the 1st 2-3 weeks then will start running like crap again. I have also had a idle problem with mine. And the dealer insists that it is running at Factory Specs. They told me my target idle on the 4.7 is 560 RPM. Seems way to low to me for a small block V8. Taking it into the dealer in the morning to get a new battery. Maybe I will have them flash the puter again.

peppe1

Need some answers please - Posted: 05-10-2003, 07:03 PM
City: Baltimore
Post #9

I had my truck in this week for this problem and the dealer Quick learned the Trans. however it did nothing. What is the TSB that you are talking about and how can i get the dealer to find it.
Also had the idle flash done. When they do this isn't there a sticker that is put on the pcm to show that an update was preformed if no sticker then no work was done right?.

sgbofav

Posted: 05-15-2003, 08:37 AM
I'd rather be Geocaching
City: Southern California
State: CA
View This User's Gallery
Post #10

blackram40,

Don't they flash the TCM (tranny control module) to fix the shifting problem or do they flash your PCM which includes the beloved "death flash". Has your shop ever flashed the 45rfe to a 545rfe? I want to do that on my 2000 Dakota to drop the rpms in 5th gear.

Bill,
AMSOIL SAE 10w-30 oil

Emerald Green 94 Ram 2500 slt lariat, 4x4, 5.9L Auto, 3.92 gears, HD service group, Tow Pkg,
AMSOIL SAE 75w-90 gear lube
AMSOIL SAE 15w-40 HDD&M oil
3 inch "cat back" exhaust with Flowmaster with 3 inch cat back exhaust,
Homebrew CAI with 9" S&B Pro-flow filter.
Dremel polished Throttle Body.

Green 1998 Olds Cutlass GLX, V6 (family car)
AMSOIL SAE 5w-30 oil
AMSOIL Flowzair "drop-in" air filter
Pioneer DEH-P3600 CD-player
Infinity Reference series speakers 4x6"s and 6x9"s

"No arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women.

- Ronald Reagan

Truckville

Posted: 05-15-2003, 11:29 PM
Office of THE MAYOR
Post #11

This web link will provide most.... of the campaigns that effect your Q cab 1500 or ?? beyond what you can get off the NHTSA web site. It tells you the current ECM FLASH that keeps getting inquiry made about as well in very great detail.

ENJOY!

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2002-index-DR.htm

The other is:
Go out to www.nhtsa.dot.gov and look up the safety campaigns for the mirror and steering column blower motor connector recalls for our model truck (and any others as well).

duanedeidre

Posted: 05-17-2003, 03:26 PM
City: union grove
State: AL
Post #12

what is the death flash and what does it do to the truck
duane

sgbofav

Posted: 05-17-2003, 08:18 PM
I'd rather be Geocaching
City: Southern California
State: CA
View This User's Gallery
Post #13

The "death flash" is another name for the "ping flash". A flash is a when the dealer re-programs your trucks pcm. The "death flash" causes your fuel mileage and your performance to drop. The other problem is that whenever you get a flash for another problem (like the tranny) you also get the "death flash" .

Bill,
AMSOIL SAE 10w-30 oil

Emerald Green 94 Ram 2500 slt lariat, 4x4, 5.9L Auto, 3.92 gears, HD service group, Tow Pkg,
AMSOIL SAE 75w-90 gear lube
AMSOIL SAE 15w-40 HDD&M oil
3 inch "cat back" exhaust with Flowmaster with 3 inch cat back exhaust,
Homebrew CAI with 9" S&B Pro-flow filter.
Dremel polished Throttle Body.

Green 1998 Olds Cutlass GLX, V6 (family car)
AMSOIL SAE 5w-30 oil
AMSOIL Flowzair "drop-in" air filter
Pioneer DEH-P3600 CD-player
Infinity Reference series speakers 4x6"s and 6x9"s

"No arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women.

- Ronald Reagan

duanedeidre

Posted: 05-18-2003, 09:29 AM
City: union grove
State: AL
Post #14

so you just keep flashing the pcm or is they're a cure all flash or programer
duane
Closed Thread