Is there a cure for the hemi tick? - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP DODGETALK MERCHANDISE ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 3rd Gen (02 – 08) Forums > 3G Dodge RAM - General Talk

Closed Thread

hemi69

Is there a cure for the hemi tick? - Posted: 09-20-2005, 06:42 PM
City: San Antonio
State: TX
Post #1

I seen lot's of talk about the hemi tick and last night I noticed my
04 hemi with 7000 miles now has the tick it's sucks makes my
truck sound cheap like like I got some bad engine problems ...GEEZ0!
it sounds like i got a bad lifter hope not! anyway

Is this normal for a hemi to tick like a bad lifter sound?

What does the dealer say about the Tick ? just to live with it?

Is there a recall for the hemi Tick?

What have to done about Your Hemi Tick Anything? i,e. diffent oil or
tighten the rocker arms?

Im just trying to figure out what to do about my Tick as I don't
remember hearing it when I got the truck new The only thing I've
was to go to mobil 1 oil 5-30 I wonder if the Mobil 1 oil started the Tick?

anyway
Thanks guys for any help
about what to do About the hemi Tick

I love my Truck but this Tick has got to go

Eddie
04 Hemi quad cab sport
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

HemiRam5.7

Posted: 09-20-2005, 08:02 PM
State: CA
Post #2

Try adding a quart or so of tranny fluid to the engine go drive the piss out of it, then do an oil change.....that is the trick for stuck lifters anyway...
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

garou

Posted: 09-20-2005, 08:08 PM
Post #3

oh **** that tick, l noticed it on my dads ram, is it cause theres a problem with the engine or its normal? for the hemi lol

LS1POWERED

Posted: 09-20-2005, 08:08 PM
View This User's Gallery
Post #4

Your trucks fine. Stop worrying about it. Almost all of them make that noise. The dealer said there is nothing wrong. The are lots of em out there with some miles without problems. Engines make noise, get exhaust and you never hear it again.

x Truck 2006 CUMMINS, lifted with 37's (sold, got company truck)

HEMI2NV

Posted: 09-20-2005, 08:33 PM
Satanmobile
City: Central Jersey
State: NJ
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1POWERED
Engines make noise, get exhaust and you never hear it again.

best answer i heard yet....LOL

Hi my name is MIKE...Will you be my friend??
No more truck...it's sold!!!

Jeepin247

Posted: 09-20-2005, 10:06 PM
City: Denton TX
State: TX
Post #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey's HEMI
best answer i heard yet....LOL
Agreed!!
De-Badged!! (Except the Hemi's)
3% Tint all the way around.
Fram Air Hog Filter
8000K HID's heads and fogs (Thanks Maka).
Bully Tailgate Lock
Jimmy Jammers on All Doors
Cubby LED MOD
Magnaflow SIDO Stainless dual wall tips.
Catch All floor mats, front and rear to catch the beer!
Clifford 2way page alarm with remote start.
Alpine CDA 9835 and 6 disc MP3 changer. XM Radio
Joe Fox Box with 2 10" Treo DVC's
Alpine 1000W Mono Block
Alpine 100W X 4 for the doors.
Infinity Kappa 6x9's and 6.5's
22" Boss 304's with Yoko 305/45/22 tires.
Laramie light package (cupholder, hood, and vanity)
Console powerpoint, IPOD Jack and COINHOLDER!!!
Soon to be SLAMMED

S.N.A.T.C.H. Coin Holders Association #61

And...................POWERED BY DEEEEEZ NUTT'S!!

DonRam

Posted: 09-20-2005, 11:16 PM
City: Illinois
Post #7

I don't know of a fix, but I've read of a few who had the tick having problems with valves and/or valve springs. Of the hemi owners I know only 1 of 5 has the tick and it doesn't sound normal to me. Of course my neighbor said it was normal until he heard mine without the tick. Of course the one who had the tick thought it was normal because that's what the dealer told him. He doesn't now that he's ridden in a hemi without the tick.

jstutzm

Posted: 09-21-2005, 11:02 AM
City: Omaha
State: NE
View This User's Gallery
Post #8

Okay folks, I'm not the most knowledgable about valvetrains, but here goes anyway (and yes, I have the tick)...Since we have hydraulic roller lifters in the hemi engine and that seems to be the root of the problem, would it be possible to replace them with a regular roller lifter or something? It seems to me that with our lifters having so many moving parts that it would be sensible to replace them with a lower maintenance lifter. Like I said though, I am not the valvetrain guru and would love to get some input on this. Many thanks.
Rancho RSX shocks
ProComp 17x9 Xtreme alloy wheels
BFG 37x12.50/17 M/T
Doug's ceramic coated headers
Cats removed w/rear o2sims
Custom true dual exhaust w/Magnaflow 14468 muffler
MAC intake
Mr. Gasket 180 stat #4367
Brite Box w/ Fogzilla & Silverstars
SRT-10 hood w/ billet insert
Plasma booster ignition
Viper Electric Fan
Python 881XV alarm w/ remote start

daytonaram05

Posted: 09-21-2005, 11:19 AM
Daytona Rammin 05
City: Evergreen Park
State: IL
View This User's Gallery
Post #9

Kind of concerned. What is this Tick that you speak of? Is it harmful?

mitchgmace

Posted: 09-21-2005, 12:34 PM
City: Grand Junction
State: CO
View This User's Gallery
Post #10

You guys with the tick should do a search on here and read up. I have owned two Hemis now (03 & 04) 03 had a tick and broke a exhaust valve spring at about 18,000 miles. Do the search! A short of what you will find is. Some have the tick and no problems. Some don't have the tick. Some have the tick and problems. Some try using 5w20 oil in them and seems to help. I have heard all types of oils in them and still a tick. As for recall not yet.
If you are concerned you should take it in and have it recorded that there is a tick. Maybe contact the DC customer service and make them aware of you tick.
I also have heard of replacement lifters and spring setups that takes care of problem.
Muffler, Silencer ring, & Cat MIA, striaght pipe/stack
S&B CAI =Moe's, Byrd's Intake horn, Fass Fuel System
75hp injectors
Diablosport Predator Stacked with MP8 = Ton of HP
Dual disc clutch
Kore Recon lift 34" Swamper LTB's, Garmin Nav system
572hp/1077tq
Trucks and Guns Club #127
I spend my money on my truck and not my girlfriend, because I'll have it longer and less people have been in it! "

04Ram2500Hemi

Posted: 09-21-2005, 12:38 PM
Same Name, Different Game
City: Missoula
State: MT
Post #11

Best fix for the “Tick”
Cummins Turbo Diesel
Truxedo Deuce Bed Cover with Bed Lights, Black Line-X Rocker Panel, Custom Built Rock Rails Sprayed with Line-X, Front & Rear Bumper and Grill sprayed with Line-X, Husky Mud Flaps, Husky Floor Mats, Four VisionX Xmitter Low Pro Prime XP LED Light Bars Behind the Grill, Two Vision X LED Lights on Rear Bumper, Heated Seats, Interior LED Lighting, NAV-TV, Camera Mounted in Front Grill

Gone But Never Forgotten!
2004 Ram 2500 4X4 SLT Quad Cab Hemi Silver Metallic, Black Line-X Rocker Panel, Westin Nerf Bars Sprayed with Line-X, Bushwacker Extend A Fender Sprayed with Line-X, Rhino Lining in the Bed and Over the Rails, Truxedo Low Profile Tonneau Cover, Hell 500's Behind the Grill, Warn Front Receiver, KC Backup Lights, Custom Mounted Bumper Backup Lights, V-7 V Force Muffler, Auto Meter Transmission Temperature Gauge, SRT-10 Pillar Grab Handle, Kore Recon Suspension System, Kore Race Steering Damper, Kore Chase Control Arms, Kore Coil Spring Isolator, Kore End Links, 35x12.50 Mud Terrain SXT Tires, SRT-10 Hood, AEM Brute Force Intake, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Smoked Recon Cab Lights, Tuff Stuff 12,500 Pound Multi Point Winch

mitchgmace

Posted: 09-21-2005, 12:42 PM
View This User's Gallery
Post #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04Ram2500Hemi
Best fix for the “Tick”
Cummins Turbo Diesel
back at you! Those CTD tick (cladder) so loud you can't hear yourself think. They also stink so much you can't breath
75hp injectors
Dual disc clutch
572hp/1077tq
I spend my money on my truck and not my girlfriend, because I'll have it longer and less people have been in it! "

04Ram2500Hemi

Posted: 09-21-2005, 12:46 PM
Same Name, Different Game
City: Missoula
State: MT
Post #13

I must disagree. The new CTD is quieter than my Hemi (and I am tick free).
Truxedo Deuce Bed Cover with Bed Lights, Black Line-X Rocker Panel, Custom Built Rock Rails Sprayed with Line-X, Front & Rear Bumper and Grill sprayed with Line-X, Husky Mud Flaps, Husky Floor Mats, Four VisionX Xmitter Low Pro Prime XP LED Light Bars Behind the Grill, Two Vision X LED Lights on Rear Bumper, Heated Seats, Interior LED Lighting, NAV-TV, Camera Mounted in Front Grill

Gone But Never Forgotten!
2004 Ram 2500 4X4 SLT Quad Cab Hemi Silver Metallic, Black Line-X Rocker Panel, Westin Nerf Bars Sprayed with Line-X, Bushwacker Extend A Fender Sprayed with Line-X, Rhino Lining in the Bed and Over the Rails, Truxedo Low Profile Tonneau Cover, Hell 500's Behind the Grill, Warn Front Receiver, KC Backup Lights, Custom Mounted Bumper Backup Lights, V-7 V Force Muffler, Auto Meter Transmission Temperature Gauge, SRT-10 Pillar Grab Handle, Kore Recon Suspension System, Kore Race Steering Damper, Kore Chase Control Arms, Kore Coil Spring Isolator, Kore End Links, 35x12.50 Mud Terrain SXT Tires, SRT-10 Hood, AEM Brute Force Intake, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Smoked Recon Cab Lights, Tuff Stuff 12,500 Pound Multi Point Winch

mitchgmace

Posted: 09-21-2005, 01:13 PM
View This User's Gallery
Post #14

keep nut kicking me and I will end up in the hospital LOL.
75hp injectors
Dual disc clutch
572hp/1077tq

dale3fan3

Posted: 09-21-2005, 06:01 PM
View This User's Gallery
Post #15

53000 and ticked from the day after I bought it

mattspenc

Posted: 09-21-2005, 06:07 PM
Jr Post Whore
City: Toledo
Post #16

Hemi69, I tell you easy fix. I give you my 02 4.7. You give me the Hemi. I deal with tick. We both win!!

tyler711

Posted: 09-21-2005, 07:12 PM
View This User's Garage
Post #17

Aren't you supposed to use 5w-20 anyway?

*Red Truck Club Member 110*

lx1x

Posted: 09-21-2005, 07:59 PM
Kasey Kahne #9
City: Mars
State: MD
View This User's Gallery
Post #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler711
Aren't you supposed to use 5w-20 anyway?
they recommend 5w-20 for the 05's.. just had my first oil change yesterday at the dealer and no tick..(knocking on wood). but i did found a tick on my dog. does that count?

05 Ram 1500 4X4 Laramie/SLT Quad HEMI

***Area 51 Alien Awareness Association Agent #69

LOST IN SPACE

tyler711

Posted: 09-21-2005, 08:10 PM
View This User's Garage
Post #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by lx1x
they recommend 5w-20 for the 05's.. just had my first oil change yesterday at the dealer and no tick
I wonder why. Any changes to the engine between 04 and 05?

*Red Truck Club Member 110*

lx1x

Posted: 09-21-2005, 08:18 PM
Kasey Kahne #9
City: Mars
State: MD
View This User's Gallery
Post #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler711
I wonder why. Any changes to the engine between 04 and 05?
that don't know.. my first dodge truck.. i haven't heard about the tick problem until i join the forum a week after i got my truck.

05 Ram 1500 4X4 Laramie/SLT Quad HEMI

***Area 51 Alien Awareness Association Agent #69

LOST IN SPACE

Closed Thread